Blues 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues 2022 Off-Season Thread

Post by theohall »

I just hope if Leddy stats, they figure out Leddy is as good in the power play as Krug. Still stunned the coaching staff completely ignored what Leddy did in April when Krug was out and didn't carry that over to the playoffs.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Toropchenko out until December. Hopefully his shoulder surgeon does a better job than Tarasenko's did the first couple go 'rounds.

Also, I've been thinking about team needs, draft and trade creativity and all that, would it be out of the realm of possibility and/or common sense to trade Perunovich as part of a package? There's been so much talk about Chychrun and I mentioned him earlier in this thread, he's bigger, got the experience and fills an urgent need where Perunovich I feel like we tend to over value our own. The dude has an injury history, he's small he was entirely bypassed in his first shot at the draft and then ended up a 2nd rounder. Do we value him too highly? This team urgently needs someone to pair with Parayko and it doesn't seem like Leddy is necessarily a guy they're planning to retain. Swapping Barby + Perunovich + a future 1st for Chychrun + one of Arizona's 1sts--and again, they have three of them, seems like a very reasonabl trade for both sides. I just don't really envision Perunovich having a long term presence on this club. As far as youngsters go, Leo Loof and Tyson Galloway--mostly Loof so far--appear to be developing very well, there's Kessel on the right side whose development has exceeded expectations and I'd find it very alarming if they didn't draft a D-man with #23... Tristan Luneau if they draft for RD and Lian Beschel if they draft for LD. I'd be happy with either, or if they want to dip a little off the board go with 6'7" Maveric Lamoureaux, RD.

The point is there's a lot to like at the bottom half of the 1st round projections that could more than adequately replace an injury prone (or unlucky, whichever) undersized d-man and makes Perunovich expendable if needed to sweeten a trade. If they could magically throw Scandella's contract in there too that would begin to free up the money to offer Perron a better deal to finish his career in the note.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I worry about Loof because he's been suspended twice at international competitions for head hits.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I've seen in more than one spot people circulating a rumor of Krug + Tarasenko for Tkachuk. Gotta be honest, I'm not against that trade at all.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Krug would need to waive his NTC. In terms of salary cap, assuming Tkachuk gets the 10M AAV, the Blues would still have another 4M... which would make re-signing both Leddy and Perron easy.

IMO, Leddy is better than Krug. He can run the power play as effectively as Krug (see April of 2022), plus is bigger and stronger defensively.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think Krug would waive to go to Calgary. They’re not a slouch team, well coached and not too far from being a Cup contender.

I’d 100% take that trade if I was either team, it has the hallmarks of a win for both sides. Krug and Tarasenko go to a team that’s an absolute contender, Tkachuk comes home and Perunovich gets to slide into Krug’s slot same type of player but cheaper and younger.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I saw a rumor DP was looking for 3 years/8 mil per. Can’t begrudge him the payday but it’s looking exceedingly likely this team takes a nosedive next season. They won’t be able to re-sign Perron, Tarasenko is gone after this season guaranteed for absolutely no return, Barby is ripe for a regression, Kyrou and Thomas should show continued growth but how much?

Back to Perron… what’s the plan? Neighbours and Bolduc both getting roster spots next season? Neighbours was as close to a certainty as I could imagine but I don’t think losing Perron was the original plan so do they rush Bolduc? Sign a cheaper FA (see: not as productive as 57). I have a sinking feeling about what’s going to happen with this team starting tomorrow. Not for the long term, mind you. I think losing Perron will be the catalyst that starts a soft rebuild, but I also think this season is going to be slightly more of a disaster than we’d like… maybe even missing the playoffs. Thank god the 2023 draft is supposed to be deep.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

If that's what Perron is really asking, it means he's gone. 8M per would leave 1M to sign all of the RFAs. There is only 9M in available cap space.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Hugh McGing signed a one year/two way. Reading the socials once again reaffirmed my belief that casual fans need to just stfu once a for all. One guy was saying “waste of space” and a couple of folks refused to believe that was his real name.

I say great depth and I bet we see him for a cup of coffee this season.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Looks like Thomas is close to signing for 8/64. Excellent start.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Absolutely love the Greiss signing, sorry to see Lindgren go but he deserves a shot as a #1 somewhere.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

And Leddy is staying. Good job, Army!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Chucky Sideburns to Washington, obviously the plan is to have Greiss backup Binner this year, Hofer next year. I’d imagine this year at Springfield is Hofer/Ellis with Cranley in the ECHL. The season after Ellis/Zherenko in Springfield.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Noel Acciari signed, I assume for depth. What a trip!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Rumor is Perron to Detroit. 🤮 and that’s all I have to say about that.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I don't love the Greiss signing. Could've kept Lindgren for less AAV it just would've cost 2 additional years.

Glad Leddy was re-signed.

Acciari replaces Bozak/Joshua since Joshua left also.

Sad to see Perron gone, but something had to give somewhere barring a trade, which hasn't happened.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And I can't help laughing at Vegas right now after last season when the media was toutng their ridiculously over the cap dream team.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

In hopes of a miracle, M. Tkachuk is still unsigned

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I would have preferred Lindgren too but I don’t think the team ever had plans for a back up for more than 1 year with Hofer coming up soon. Lindgren could have taken the one year but if he shit the bed there went his payday. As it is he’s getting paid decent to be the certain backup in Washington and I think he wanted the term that he never would have gotten from the Blues.

That said I had no idea Greiss was a nazi sympathizer. At the end of the day as long as he wins games then whatever but that kind of personality in the locker room could develop into a cancer real fast. Maybe if Hofer is doing really well and seems ready they can trade Greiss for a pick around deadline time.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:31 pm
...I had no idea Greiss was a nazi sympathizer. ... they can trade Greiss for a pick around deadline time.
These 2 things don't go together. What team in their right mind would ever trade for a 36 year old backup goalie with potential non-hockey related issues??

Still don't like this signing.