Blues acquire Buchnevich

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues acquire Buchnevich

Post by glen a richter »

Blais and a pick going back to the Rags. Discuss. I like.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Blues acquire Buchnevich

Post by ComradeT »

That's a great pickup. Scoring and size. I saw a tweet suggesting a contract in a 5y x 6mm range. Tarasenko replacement?
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't think Army is done today.

I referenced in the other thread the rumor I saw about Tarasenko and the Devils which suddenly makes more sense. The return they'd have gotten from New Jersey looked like shit at first glance... bottom 6 center and a 1st, but it does clear space to pay Buchnevich and if they want they can surely flip the two 1st's from this draft for another player.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:26 pm
I don't think Army is done today.

I referenced in the other thread the rumor I saw about Tarasenko and the Devils which suddenly makes more sense. The return they'd have gotten from New Jersey looked like shit at first glance... bottom 6 center and a 1st, but it does clear space to pay Buchnevich and if they want they can surely flip the two 1st's from this draft for another player.
If Tarasenko approves this trade, he must really hate it here. Unless I missed some major turnaround by the Devils he'd be a star of a dumpster fire show.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Or bringing in more Russians to make Tarasenko more comfortable staying?

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Whoa! Jawdrop! Sad to see blais go, but a good get. Even without tank our right side is now pretty stacked with bush, Perron and kyrou

Tank has got to be on the way out. I’ll bet he is gone by the draft.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

New Jersey isn't that far off from not being a dumpster fire. I could see Tarasenko approving going there. (Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier are quality centers. Add a solid winger, if Tarasenko can find his game again, he'd a great fit for either as long as the Devils can provide a bigger Wingers on the other side).

Remember how I said basically no one stepped up as a forward to fill a bottom 6 role? Maybe Boqvist could do this. Yes, the Blues should get more return, but when you have all the public BS, it's extremely hard to get the right value. Is moving on worth "not getting as much?"

Adding a consistent 20G, 40 pt LW is 100% worth trading Blais, who as much as the guy is a solid player, gets hurt too often. Especially if a) Schwartz signs somewhere else and b) Kostin fills in the RW role in the Top 6 (although I see Kostin more in a 3rd line role based on his KHL experience last season)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think with the right linemates Buch is worth more than 40 points for the season, for sure. This was a solid trade. I've been a cheerleader for Blais a lot in the past, I think he was a very important member of the team, when healthy, and a game changer when he was inserted in the lineup back in '19 but there's other guys in house who can probably do the same thing. MacEachern, Poganski, it's not like Blais was irreplaceable.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Buch’s point pace per 82 games the last 3 years:

18-19: 49
19-20: 55
20-21: 73

That’s really good.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect 20g30a on an meh year and 25g35a on a solid year. Yeah, that’s not pre-injury tank, but it’s better than what we have had the last 2 years, and it’s a legit scoring line player.

If you can’t get the big guys, depth the (Frank) out of your roster.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

JCShutout wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 pm
Buch’s point pace per 82 games the last 3 years:

18-19: 48 (age 24)
19-20: 55
20-21: 55

That’s solid. (assuming he gets an extension around $5m)

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect 20g30a on an okay year and 25g35a on a good year. Yeah, that’s not pure-injury tank, but it’s better than what we have had the last 2 years, and it’s a legit scoring line player.

If you can’t get the big guys, depth the (Frank) out of your roster.
I actually see Buchnevich replacing Schwartz, not Tarasenko, and those numbers are all better than Schwartz. Not sure how he's going to impact advanced possession stats (where Schwartz is ridiculous), but Buchnevich should be a certain boost to scoring which is what's needed.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I had mistyped some numbers and edited my op to be accurate. (Sorry, on my phone)

Agreed. If you can lock buch up for around Schwartz’ last salary or a bit more, then I’m happy. (Still would like Schwartz, saad or langy also)

Edit: 2 of Schwartz’ last 4 years were really really good though. 22g (57p) in 71 games in 19-20, and even better in 17-18: 24g (59p) in 62g!

Edit2: heck, go all the way back to 2013, Schwartz has been really good outside of last year and 18-19

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Age matters. 29 vs 26. And those are a "hard" 29 on Schwartz with the way he plays. Odds are in the next couple of years Schwartz's game declines further. Don't like saying that, but it is logical. (Shut up, Spock, you jerk!!)

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

That is a good point. They have given out some long contracts to attempt to win now, (Faulk, krug, schenn) but maybe, based on those “hard” years, Schwartz ages like steener or backes.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

ComradeT wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:22 pm
That's a great pickup. Scoring and size. I saw a tweet suggesting a contract in a 5y x 6mm range. Tarasenko replacement?
And YOUTH, too!!! If he can be signed for 5 years, for $5.5 to $6 Million, it will be a great move. If he leaves after the one year, it won't be a good move. If he demands $7 Million per year, and The Blues rightly refuse. it won't have been a good move. Next year's draft will be loaded with talent through The 2nd Round, and we'd be sorry we gave up The 2nd. But, I think he will re-sign at a reasonable rate, and it will be Army jumping on another great opportunity to help keep The Blues' window open. We still need at least 2 more deals like this to pick up a solid defenceman, and probably to replace Tarasenko.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

ComradeT wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:22 pm
Duplicate post.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

What I don't get are Blues fans thinking Buchnevich will sign for under 5 AAV. Makes absolutely zero sense, even with a longer term. All Buchnevich has to do refer to is Schwartz's last contract. While that's not "legal" in an arb hearing due to Schwartz being a UFA for his last contract, it sure as heck is before the arb hearing, If the Blues wind up taking a contract for a newly acquired player to arbitration, that looks really bad on the Blues part.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I think people are looking at total points and not points per game. With the last two years being short due to Covid, maybe they are seeing a 40 ish point guy and not a 55-70 point guy like he has been ppg.

I’m sure the blues knew what he was looking for. I’m hoping it’s a match of Schwartz’s last deal or just a bit more. Mid 5s would be fantastic, but I could totally see 6.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I heard Schwartz is probably ending up in Seattle. No matter where he goes Buchnevich was the replacement on the ice and on the payroll so I’m completely confident the dollars will work out no problem and Buch is an upgrade.

With both Dunn and Schwartz in Seattle I might get myself a Kraken sweater.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Buch signed, 4 years cap hit 5.8 per. Sounds good to me.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

Good deal! (Basically steen’s old aav)