Contest Time! Rally Towel & Stickers Giveaway! - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Contest Time! Rally Towel & Stickers Giveaway! - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Post by cprice12 »

LetsGoBlues.com Contest!
LetsGoBlues.com Contest!
rallytowel-stickers-giveaway.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 19994 times
Our latest contest & giveaway!!! Who wants some free stuff???
To Enter:
  • Register in the LetsGoBlues.com Forums here. (completely free) If you're already registered, just move on to the next bullet point.
AND...
  • Post in THIS THREAD, introduce yourself & tell us how/why you became a fan of the St. Louis Blues OR tell everyone your favorite St. Louis Blues memory or player.
Prizes:
  • 1st PRIZE: An Official 2020 St. Louis All-Star Game Rally Towel + 4 Blues Hockey/Stag Beer Mashup Stickers
  • MORE PRIZES will be added if we get a lot of participation! So SHARE, SHARE, SHARE the link to this contest thread! Facebook, Twitter, other forums, Reddit, email your friends, etc... LET'S GET THIS FORUM HOPPIN'!
(and yes...we ACTUALLY DO send out prizes to our contest winners...ahem, unlike some other BS social media accounts. 8) )

Details:
  • Winner(s) will be chosen at random...or not random...we'll see how the responses go. :lol:
  • We'll announce the winner(s) on our LIVE weekly Lets Go Blues Radio webcast (www.letsgoblues.com/radio) on the night of Wed, February 26th, 2020. Then we'll also announce the winners in here after the live show is over.
  • Winner(s) will be contacted via Private Message in this forum to get shipping information.
We do these contests and giveaways every so often...so stay tuned to this forum, follow Lets Go Blues Radio on Twitter (@lgbradio), Facebook (@lgbradio), or Instagram (@lgbradio) so you don't miss future giveaways!
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Contest Time! Rally Towel & Stickers Giveaway!

Post by JCShutout »

Hi, I'm JC. (Do you need my real name?)

My Dad was always a fan, and one day snagged tickets to a game from his work. This was the late 80s, right before Hullie became King of St. Louis. I was either 6, 7 or 8 (I've tried to look at old accounts to see which game it could have been but can't narrow it down past 2 or 3 possibilities.) I was a baseball fan like my friends. I was super shy, and didn't want to go to something new, until my Dad said there was pizza. I had to be assured that I could have pizza, and we headed down to the old Barn, parking in Forest park and weaving through areas unfamiliar to my suburban neighborhood. According to my Dad, I asked over and over again as I eyed the many people, "You said there was pizza, right?". We got my damn pizza, and walked in, and I saw the ice during warmups and my jaw about hit the floor. I almost dropped my pizza, and barely said a word the rest of the night just watching, wide eyed, as my Dad would explain the rules as the game progressed. I instinctively understood the game and was forever hooked. The Blues tied the North Stars with a 3rd period goal, and the game ended 2-2. I barely remember Steve Tuttle being on the team because I really liked Ninja Turtles, and his name kinda sounded like "Turtle". I was caught up in the Hull and Oats years, but when Fuhr came to town, he was my favorite, and goaltending, my position. I played for many years, enjoying a short stretch on the Amateur Blues, way before local teams were good and winning tournaments. I think our record that year was something like 2-37-1, and by the end had I think 12 players left (most quit because we were so bad) but wearing the note, even in an Amateur context, was special.

Dad recalls that our morning ritual after game days for years was him waking me up for school and me not saying good morning, or hello dad, or even grumbling, it was, "DID THE BLUES WIN?!?!" When the Blues played game 7 against the hated Wings in 96, I snuck a radio and headphones into my band concert and just pretended to play trumpet while listening to the game. (My radio was actually confiscated along with others, but I saw where they stashed it, and on pretense of going to the restroom, snagged it back)

When I attended a goalie camp in Toronto a couple of years later and the only person from the midwest proudly wearing all things Blues at all times, and lambasting Leafs fans for their thug Nick Kypreos for ending the Blues cup run with an intentional dive. I locked my key in my room at the dorm the hockey camp had us boarded in, and at first they refused to let me in my room unless I said Kypreos wasn't at fault. They were being playful, but I told them I'd sleep in the common TV room before saying a kind word about someone who had done so wrong to my Blues.

My Dad snagged preseason tickets right next to the Blues bench one year against the lightning. He let me have the seat immediately next to the bench and I just STARED at Guy Herbert all night. It was probably kinda creepy. When a puck flew into the bench, Mr. Herbert snuck it over the glass so I could have it. Still do.

In 07 or 08, I was working at Verison Ampitheater (its had like 5 names, I don't remember the name at the time or the current name), waitstaff for luxury boxes, and in sat Erik Johnson. He ordered a beer and I said, "I'm sorry Erik Johnson, I know who you are and how old you are, and I can't get you a beer." He looked back at two other players and said, "Well boys, I guess I'll be having lemonade tonight." (I think I remember the others being Stempniak and McClement, and/or Yan Stastny. I'm not sure because they didn't order much and I didn't want to seem more creppy and its just too many years ago.)

Oh, and this past year was a pretty good one, no? when I saw the Blues win their first SCF game ever from the watch party, with my Dad... I screamed and literally cried a little. I did the same when watching the first and only home SCF win because we shelled out the money to go... I'm still paying it off, almost done, totally worth it. I didn't really relax in game 7 until it was 4-0, maybe a little at 3-0, but in a large way at 4-0. I didn't really fully think it was actually going to happen until there was about 60-80 seconds left.

Ok so that was way more than you were looking for, but it was fun to remember.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JCShutout wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm
Hi, I'm JC. (Do you need my real name?)

My Dad was always a fan, and one day snagged tickets to a game from his work. This was the late 80s, right before Hullie became King of St. Louis. I was either 6, 7 or 8 (I've tried to look at old accounts to see which game it could have been but can't narrow it down past 2 or 3 possibilities.) I was a baseball fan like my friends. I was super shy, and didn't want to go to something new, until my Dad said there was pizza. I had to be assured that I could have pizza, and we headed down to the old Barn, parking in Forest park and weaving through areas unfamiliar to my suburban neighborhood. According to my Dad, I asked over and over again as I eyed the many people, "You said there was pizza, right?". We got my damn pizza, and walked in, and I saw the ice during warmups and my jaw about hit the floor. I almost dropped my pizza, and barely said a word the rest of the night just watching, wide eyed, as my Dad would explain the rules as the game progressed. I instinctively understood the game and was forever hooked. The Blues tied the North Stars with a 3rd period goal, and the game ended 2-2. I barely remember Steve Tuttle being on the team because I really liked Ninja Turtles, and his name kinda sounded like "Turtle". I was caught up in the Hull and Oats years, but when Fuhr came to town, he was my favorite, and goaltending, my position. I played for many years, enjoying a short stretch on the Amateur Blues, way before local teams were good and winning tournaments. I think our record that year was something like 2-37-1, and by the end had I think 12 players left (most quit because we were so bad) but wearing the note, even in an Amateur context, was special.

Dad recalls that our morning ritual after game days for years was him waking me up for school and me not saying good morning, or hello dad, or even grumbling, it was, "DID THE BLUES WIN?!?!" When the Blues played game 7 against the hated Wings in 96, I snuck a radio and headphones into my band concert and just pretended to play trumpet while listening to the game. (My radio was actually confiscated along with others, but I saw where they stashed it, and on pretense of going to the restroom, snagged it back)

When I attended a goalie camp in Toronto a couple of years later and the only person from the midwest proudly wearing all things Blues at all times, and lambasting Leafs fans for their thug Nick Kypreos for ending the Blues cup run with an intentional dive. I locked my key in my room at the dorm the hockey camp had us boarded in, and at first they refused to let me in my room unless I said Kypreos wasn't at fault. They were being playful, but I told them I'd sleep in the common TV room before saying a kind word about someone who had done so wrong to my Blues.

My Dad snagged preseason tickets right next to the Blues bench one year against the lightning. He let me have the seat immediately next to the bench and I just STARED at Guy Herbert all night. It was probably kinda creepy. When a puck flew into the bench, Mr. Herbert snuck it over the glass so I could have it. Still do.

In 07 or 08, I was working at Verison Ampitheater (its had like 5 names, I don't remember the name at the time or the current name), waitstaff for luxury boxes, and in sat Erik Johnson. He ordered a beer and I said, "I'm sorry Erik Johnson, I know who you are and how old you are, and I can't get you a beer." He looked back at two other players and said, "Well boys, I guess I'll be having lemonade tonight." (I think I remember the others being Stempniak and McClement, and/or Yan Stastny. I'm not sure because they didn't order much and I didn't want to seem more creppy and its just too many years ago.)

Oh, and this past year was a pretty good one, no? when I saw the Blues win their first SCF game ever from the watch party, with my Dad... I screamed and literally cried a little. I did the same when watching the first and only home SCF win because we shelled out the money to go... I'm still paying it off, almost done, totally worth it. I didn't really relax in game 7 until it was 4-0, maybe a little at 3-0, but in a large way at 4-0. I didn't really fully think it was actually going to happen until there was about 60-80 seconds left.

Ok so that was way more than you were looking for, but it was fun to remember.
Awesome! Good stuff. :) Thanks for sharing!
And no...we don't need your real name in the post. :goodpost:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

lambinni
Prospect
Prospect

Post by lambinni »

Hello everyone my name is Nick. I have been listening to Let's Go Blues Radio as a podcast since November 2018. I original am from St. Louis (Oakville to be specific) but moved to New Jersey for work. I was feeling disconnected from St. Louis so I started to look for podcasts to keep me informed on the Blues and Cardinals. Now, I listen to Let's Go Blues Radio religiously. While I am at work I always have one earbud in listen to you three.

I was not an active Blues but fell in love with the sport around November 2018 but I do have memories with the Blues before that. My favorite memory was going to Game 2 of the 2016 Conference Finals against San Jose with my parents. I had just come home from school and my mom wanted to find something to do. So, I suggested we go to the Blues game. Even though the Blues lost (0-4) we had a great time. I can remember my father being very into the game yell and cheering. My father unfortunately pasted away the next year. I keep the photo we took together at the game on my desk. He loved hockey and even played floor hockey. He did not like the changes that were made to the rules that would limit fighting. So, me and my brother were not raised watching the Blues. Now, when ever I am home during the season and the Blues are playing I buy tickets for my family and we go to the game. I also make sure to see all three games that are in New Jersey/New York. I have even got my girlfriend watching and cheering for the Blues, she was raised a Devils fan. I was at Game 6 against the Jets to witness the Blues win to advance to Round 2. The energy and experience was amazing and it has made my brother fall in love with the Blues like me. Me and my girlfriend made sure to fly back to St. Louis for a Stanley Cup game. She understood how big this was for St. Louis and she wanted to make sure we were a part of this historical event. So, we bought tickets and flew back to St. Louis for Game 3. Even though we lost I can tell our kids that we were at a Stanley Cup game the year the Blues won their first cup.

I can't wait to raise my kids to be Blues fans and to experience going to games with them like I did with my dad. Curt, Bill, and Jeff keep doing what you are doing. Hopefully one day when I am back in St. Louis I might get the chance to meet you guys. Until then I can't wait till your next episode, and I need to try to watch the YouTube show more.

LET'S GO BLUES!!! :blues: :stanleycup: :petrocup: :goblues:

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Loving these responses, guys. Keep them coming!

:stanleycup: :stanleycup:
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JPonder94 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:08 am

Wow. Where have YOU been? :lol:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

cprice12 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:40 am
JPonder94 wrote:

I've been shut out by the administrator. He didn't want me commenting, apparently. :roll:

But I'm back now! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JPonder94 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:44 am
cprice12 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:40 am
JPonder94 wrote:

I've been shut out by the administrator. He didn't want me commenting, apparently. :roll:

But I'm back now! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Wow...you must have done something awful.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Radar
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Radar »

Hi, John the Mailman here. I've been a fan since I was 7 years old. My first Blues memories are of the first playoffs when the Blues played the Minnesota North Stars. My dad was not a hockey fan but could see just how much I liked the game. My first game was (and I don't know how my dad got tickets) was Blues vs Bruins in the Stanly Cup Finals. I was 8 or 9 and the old barn was rockin". I remember walking out to our car after the game and my dad telling me, "John, my head hurts so bad from the noise that I will never go to another hockey game in my life." (He never did). But he did say, "I'll buy you a ticket, drive you to the game, drop you off at the door, come back and pick you up when it is over." And he did. I went to two or three games like that. Imagine someone doing that now a days. Anyway those are some of my favorite memories.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Radar wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 pm
Hi, John the Mailman here. I've been a fan since I was 7 years old. My first Blues memories are of the first playoffs when the Blues played the Minnesota North Stars. My dad was not a hockey fan but could see just how much I liked the game. My first game was (and I don't know how my dad got tickets) was Blues vs Bruins in the Stanly Cup Finals. I was 8 or 9 and the old barn was rockin". I remember walking out to our car after the game and my dad telling me, "John, my head hurts so bad from the noise that I will never go to another hockey game in my life." (He never did). But he did say, "I'll buy you a ticket, drive you to the game, drop you off at the door, come back and pick you up when it is over." And he did. I went to two or three games like that. Imagine someone doing that now a days. Anyway those are some of my favorite memories.
:goodpost:

appollo64
Prospect
Prospect

Post by appollo64 »

Howdy all, I'm Andy!

I started following hockey relatively late, not until my senior year in high school. It was after the Sochi Olympics, and I'd heard how this American player for the Blues single-handedly beat the Russians? I thought that was pretty awesome, so my best friend started inviting me over to watch Blues games. I really enjoyed it, joined the Blues subreddit, and kept watching games with folks from my dorm my freshman year at Mizzou.

One of my favorite Blues memories was going to the Alumni Game for the Winter Classic with that same friend. We had seats in the outfield, so not the greatest view. But for me, a somewhat new fan who had dove deep down the rabbit hole of Blues hockey history, it was really great seeing guys I had read about on the ice.

Aside from that, watching the Blues win the Cup. I live in Columbia, MO. The Blue Note is the main concert venue in town, but they show movies too - often stuff like Rocky Horror that has a lot of cult appeal. Anyways, they started showing some of the Finals games. I got a bunch of my friends to go with. The atmosphere was electric, like nothing I've felt before. After Schenn put in the third goal, that's when I started crying. That's when I knew we were going to win. And when the buzzer finally sounded, I was full on sobbing, just ugly sobbing and gasping and weeping, I was so happy. So many strangers came and hugged me, and I was still crying as I walked to my car and called my best friend. We cried together for a bit, it was so cathartic seeing this team win it all for the first time.

Stlblues4lyfe
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Stlblues4lyfe »

Hey I’m Stlblues4lyfe. Obviously the Blues are my team!

My favorite memory is when we won the Stanley Cup! I was on vacation in Branson when they announced the watch parties. I unfortunately did not get into the arena but I did snag some Busch stadium tickets with my dad and brother.

As I said I was on vacation on Branson, but also I’m from KC. Luckily we were planning on driving back the day of game 7. Not so lucky, my wife couldn’t get that extra day off the next day. So the day of game 7, I drove from Branson, to KC, to STL just so I could be in the city for the win.

As they say the rest is history. I made a memory with my dad and brother that will last a lifetime and was able to party in the city with my fellow blues fans!

Let’s go blues!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Hi, I'm Glen. That's not my real name, many people here probably know that. It was actually a spoof name made up by a friend back in high school who was a big Rangers fan and would tell people his name was Glen Richter by combining Glen Healy and Mike Richter.

Anyway, I've been a fan since 1992-93 when I flipped on the TV and saw a Blues/North Stars game which wasn't the first time I ever actually watched a hockey game but was the first time I ever watched one in full. Things could have been a lot different if Minnesota had won the game, but the Blues won and I really enjoyed the overall play of the team but obviously, as an 11 year old is likely to do, enjoyed the play of the obvious star of the team, Brett Hull. I had a couple of friends at school who were also Blues fans and we were able to talk about the game. Living in New York, the odds of finding even one other Blues fan was kind of not likely so it worked out nice and I started following them consistently from then on. My first great Blues memory was watching Eddie Belfour go berserk after the playoff sweep. After that, it was years of torture just like everyone else until what is obviously everyone's favorite Blues memory--winning the whole thing.

I used to not understand how anyone could say the Monday Night Miracle was such an amazing thing, not that I would have understood because I was 5 years old at the time, but I just didn't get how a single win in a series the team lost could possibly be a great memory. I guess I still don't understand it that much, but now that the Blues are champs I've taken some time to look back on other memories that I can call great now that they achieved the ultimate greatness. Winning the President's Trophy, the brief time Gretzky was in the Note, watching one of my favorite Blues of all time, Pavol Demitra (RIP), the late season surge back in 200something when they were utter garbage but Chris Mason led them all the way back to the playoffs, even though they got demolished by Vancouver once they made it there, and the non-Stanley Cup pinnacle of my time as a fan, the night I finally made it out to St. Louis for a home game and the boys beat Chicago 5-2, the fan in front of me kept calling Dan Hinote "Heenotay", and for once being in friendly territory for a game among the greatest fans in the sport. The weather was awful, my travel back to New York was on par with a "Planes Trains and Automobiles" type of trip, but that one regular season game towards the end of a dumpy season, in the middle of February was by far my favorite individual game I ever attended.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Thanks to everyone who entered and contributed some stories! Enjoyed reading them. :grin:

The winner of the contest is: lambinni :petrocup:

Congrats and check your PMs!
LETS GO BLUES RADIO