NHL to expand by 4 teams?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

NHL to expand by 4 teams?

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Tony+ ... story.html
It wasn’t very long ago that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was treating talk of expansion as though he was being asked if he’d like an epidemic of Ebola.

But recently the nature of the rhetoric has changed so much that the question is becoming not if, but when.

And then the ultimate question. Will they be able to limit the number of new teams to just two?

Sources close to the situation have indicated Las Vegas is a done deal, the only thing to be determined being which owner will be entitled to proclaim that he brought the first major league sports franchise to Sin City.

And given how dead set against a team in the gambling haven the commissioner was 10 years ago, this move into another player friendly state-tax-free zone represents a considerable about-face indeed.

But people have been betting on hockey games for years and to pretend games couldn’t be fixed just as easily anywhere as in Vegas is pretty ridiculous, so that posturing has fallen by the wayside.

A new team close to the newly renamed Arizona squad and California’s big three is all but assured, the only question being when and with which other city. Or should that be plural?

With all the activity going on in the Seattle area in the last little bit it would be quite a stretch to imagine that much time and effort being spent by so many wealthy men being frittered away for nothing.

At the moment there are no surefire plans to build a new rink, but that could change at any time with Vancouver billionaire Victor Coleman among many reportedly showing interest in putting an NHL team into the city.

And Bettman hasn’t been visiting there to see if it really does rain a lot.

It’s been 15 years since the NHL expanded — and given there are 16 teams in the east and just 14 in the west, taking in two more teams would certainly seem to make a lot of sense, the same amount of sense it made when realignment was first announced.

And expanding without the players getting their mitts on any of the money other than the increase in payrolls is surely tempting, at least to those owners who remember the hefty cheques they cashed for Columbus and Minnesota.

Whereas before the commissioner balked at expansion, this is a sample of his more recent verbal footwork:

“There’s a lot of interest. We’re hearing from multiple groups in Seattle and in Vegas and Kansas City and Quebec City,” Bettman said to the Tribune while scoping out Target field in Minny for yet another trip to the well of outdoor games.

“We have not decided to engage in a formal expansion process but we listen to expressions of interest. It’s not something we’ve seriously considered yet.”

Like hell it isn’t. They’d have to be nuts not to be thinking about it seriously.

And since then things have changed for a commissioner who hates to move teams in his league no matter how dire the circumstances might appear — one of the most likable aspects of his regime for most hockey fans. Once the league comes to your area, it is going to stay through thick, thin and the almost impossible, as seems to be the case in Phoenix.

But could that long-standing policy and loyalty change with the Florida situation? True there’s a lease until 2028, but with the Panthers bleeding money, even the city of Sunrise can’t seem to see the point of carrying on much longer, so perhaps one of these new cities could get an existing team after all.

And while Kansas City isn’t really likely to be a serious contender in this expansion soup unless they’re going to stretch it to four teams, saying no to Quebec City in favour of two more U.S. cities with no proven NHL backgrounds is almost certainly not going to happen.

Going back to Minnesota has been a success, and there’s no question there’s more money and corporate backing than ever before in Quebec. Even an expansion team there in a new arena would be virtually assured of sellouts into perpetuity.

There will be all manner of bleating about there being insufficient talent, of course, but even if it’s true, after such a long wait this trivial detail — which only troubles the fans — isn’t going to get in the way of a financial windfall like this.

And any time the league decides it could use talent, they can start doing away with most of the coaches they employ whose chief calling in life is to devise ways to stop offensive players and choke the very life out of the game that’s paying their salaries.

Expansion will be happening, and soon. The only question is how many new cities will be involved.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: NHL to expand by 4 teams?

Post by ecbm »

It's a bad idea on so many levels, but bad ideas are all you can expect from an institution that chooses to retain Gary Bettman as its chief executive.

Sports team in Las Vegas? Did I travel in time back to 2004 in my sleep? It was a questionable idea even then. It's a small & shrinking market with no hockey culture that's been blighted by the recession more than most places. Brilliant.

Quebec? Ok, better idea for location but isn't there a club in Phoenix, er, Scottsdale that attracts about 16 fans a night even when they're a playoff team? Why not just move them? Not like they have the fanbase of, say, the Minnesota North Stars. I doubt the Whalers' average attendance in Hartford over their last few years was much if any worse than the Coyotes'. Keeping a team there isn't admirable, it's stubborn and foolish.

Seattle or Toronto? Right, let's endanger the financial health of the entire league in the hopes that these new clubs will peel a fan base off the Leafs or Canucks. Got it, what could go wrong?

Then there's the watering-down of the talent pool. I don't care to watch 75% of the eastern conference's teams because they lack talent and therefore play crap hockey. Adding four teams makes this worse.

I feel like the league is about to immolate itself via overconfidence again.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

I'm not totally against expansion, I would like to see a team near the Niagra Falls area (maybe Hamilton), I think Seattle or even portland would work as well. I would also like to see columbus move to the east coast. Its just something that dosn't need to be rushed into though.

We have been lucky the past couple of expansion drafts hope our luck continues.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I agree it's not a great idea. They have be careful of over saturation .

Quebec City and Seattle deserve teams but not 2 teams in Toronto or 2 teams in Minnesota.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This league needs to lose 6 or 8 teams not add 4. Stupid on so many levels but what else do you expect from the worst commissioner in pro sports?

What's next? NHL champ plays KHL champ for the Cup? Interleague games across continents?

Also how the hell do they really expect a crappy Toronto expansion team to compete with an original 6 Toronto team who, while also crappy, has generations of fans entrenched in the city?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I agree it's not a great idea. They have be careful of over saturation .

Quebec City and Seattle deserve teams but not 2 teams in Toronto or 2 teams in Minnesota.
2 teams in Minnesota? Las Vegas, Minnesota? You suck at geography too.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:This league needs to lose 6 or 8 teams not add 4. Stupid on so many levels but what else do you expect from the worst commissioner in pro sports?
I'm just going to go ahead and guess that if 6 or 8 teams were contracted, ours would be on the chopping block since it's not a financial juggernaut by any means. It's in a shrinking market. Yeah, tradition, blah blah...doesn't matter. If it's in dollars and cents, we would be in trouble.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:This league needs to lose 6 or 8 teams not add 4. Stupid on so many levels but what else do you expect from the worst commissioner in pro sports?
I'm just going to go ahead and guess that if 6 or 8 teams were contracted, ours would be on the chopping block since it's not a financial juggernaut by any means. It's in a shrinking market. Yeah, tradition, blah blah...doesn't matter. If it's in dollars and cents, we would be in trouble.
Florida, Phoenix, Carolina, Nashville, Columbus, Tampa bay. Done.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

A team in Seattle would be great. They lost the Sonics. They support the crap out of the Sounders and the Seahawks. They have a large gap from October to spring in their sports schedule. Quebec, I have a feeling would be like Winnipeg. They had their team ripped away. They won't let that happens again.

But Vegas and Toronto? No.

Hartford, do that and right a wrong.

Ultimately, I'd rather they only expand 2 if they want to at all. 4 is bigger than even the NFL, which seems insane.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

If New York can support 3 ish teams then Toronto sure as hell can support 2 teams.
I'm pulling for QC and Seattle or even Portland.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

STLADOGG wrote:If New York can support 3 ish teams then Toronto sure as hell can support 2 teams.
I'm pulling for QC and Seattle or even Portland.
Half the people at devils games are Ranger fans and who knows what will happen when the Islanders move to that hockey hotbed of Brooklyn leaving behind their 5000 fans. We may have 3 teams but only 1 runs the show around here.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Way too much speculation in this article to be taken seriously. Plus I love the fact that he mentions the league being with teams through thick and thin... I recall Atlanta being relocated rather quickly... I don't think contraction if the answer, just move a few teams to viable markets. Sorry, but I don't believe Florida needs 2 teams. Based on what I've seen on t.v. during Panthers games, Kansas city's CHL team has more fans than Miami... not meaning to pick on Florida, but come on...

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

STLADOGG wrote:If New York can support 3 ish teams
Not sure what you mean by that. NYC doesn't support three teams, it supports one. An experiment to see if it can support two will start in a couple seasons. NYC has a population over three times the size of Toronto's; the Devils play in Newark which along with neighboring Jersey city has a population twice that of StL and that base is bolstered by visitors from NYC and Philly. The Islanders currently play in Nassau County, population roughly 1.5M and is also the local team for Suffolk County, population 1.3M. Buffalo is also in NYS, if that's what you mean. Buffalo's population is 250K and it's the local metropolis. What can you say, up-staters love their hockey disproportionately. Even if you consider all of them, there are 4 teams in the state and immediate environs but they draw support from an aggregate population of about 11.5M. None of those teams showed up 100 years after the league started and tried to directly compete with one of the original teams-perhaps the best supported of them.

That said, yes, Toronto might be able to support two teams but I don't think that's a worthwhile thing to pursue right now just because it could work. The NHL brass are acting like they have no current problems to solve and therefore can push hare-brained schemes. Whereas I look around and see plenty of basket-case clubs limping through fiscal hell, situated in areas where 98% of the locals would rather watch high school football, NASCAR or rodeos than hockey.
glen a richter wrote:What's next? NHL champ plays KHL champ for the Cup?
I actually like this idea. Silly how American sports teams regularly square off exclusively against other American sports teams and the suggestion is that the competition is a world championship. I think we'll see this (not for The Cup though) if the KHL survives and remains viable. There's too much money to be made for it not to happen.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ecbm wrote:
Not sure what you mean by that. NYC doesn't support three teams, it supports one. An experiment to see if it can support two will start in a couple seasons. NYC has a population over three times the size of Toronto's; the Devils play in Newark which along with neighboring Jersey city has a population twice that of StL and that base is bolstered by visitors from NYC and Philly. The Islanders currently play in Nassau County, population roughly 1.5M and is also the local team for Suffolk County, population 1.3M. Buffalo is also in NYS, if that's what you mean. Buffalo's population is 250K and it's the local metropolis. What can you say, up-staters love their hockey disproportionately. Even if you consider all of them, there are 4 teams in the state and immediate environs but they draw support from an aggregate population of about 11.5M. None of those teams showed up 100 years after the league started and tried to directly compete with one of the original teams-perhaps the best supported of them.

That said, yes, Toronto might be able to support two teams but I don't think that's a worthwhile thing to pursue right now just because it could work. The NHL brass are acting like they have no current problems to solve and therefore can push hare-brained schemes. Whereas I look around and see plenty of basket-case clubs limping through fiscal hell, situated in areas where 98% of the locals would rather watch high school football, NASCAR or rodeos than hockey.
I actually like this idea. Silly how American sports teams regularly square off exclusively against other American sports teams and the suggestion is that the competition is a world championship. I think we'll see this (not for The Cup though) if the KHL survives and remains viable. There's too much money to be made for it not to happen.
A Champions League for hockey would be phenomenal.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

For me, it should be more an issue if an area has a Hockey Culture already in place over money. Granted, a city should be able to support a team, but why does a city that will only have a draw of 8-15k need a stadium built with a capacity of 30,000 plus? Why not scale down and build to accomodate the area and as the support grows, grow it. The NHL requiring lofty goals from a new location and not supporting it financially or through broadcasting deals and a share system of some sort is 90% why new teams do poorly and fail. Atlanta has gone through this twice and if the NHL put in a hundredth of an effort to help them with the requirements the NHL placed down, that team would be thriving.

The whole concept of some areas not being ideal hockey locations is sound but the NHL has to understand that big money markets are already taken up by NHL or NHL clubs plural, so all that's left is mid-market to low-market teams. The NHLs MO at this point should be spreading the league out through exposure and through enhancing/growing the hockey culture in places that have it and would be therefore ideal to have a team. With that said, this list sucks. The only city on it deserving of a team is QC, that's an absolute no-brainer and rights a wrong that is the worst of the wrongs Bettman has done. This would be a good time for THE NHL MAP but I don't have any space online to put it up from, so I'll just say if this was me (Mr. Longwinded), and we really needed to put in 4 teams AND have them be new teams and not move teams we already have (to me a much better plan), I'd give out the teams to:

Quebec City - No brainer
Saskatoon - Geographically and hockey culture-wise.
Anchorage - Yes, I'm crazy, I said Alaska. And yes, I seriously considered saying Mystery which if it existed, would top the list, but as far as I know, it doesn't.
Indiana - The Racers are historic for having brought Gretzky and Mess into the league and would be a really good media exposure for them. Granted this is a NASCAR state, but a working NHL team might work here.

And as an honorable mention/alternative:
Idaho - Geographically the NHL should have a team here. I was about to say Montana, North or South Dakota, but the population densities make it really, really hard to stake a claim financially.

I don't feel we need 2+ NHL teams in the area (unless there's a real extenuating circumstance and a fanbase that hates the hometown team but loves the sport), nor should we blanket the country/countries with teams but build the culture from within.

Alright, fire away.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

A Champions League for hockey would be phenomenal.
Do eet!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Oaklandblue wrote:For me, it should be more an issue if an area has a Hockey Culture already in place over money. Granted, a city should be able to support a team, but why does a city that will only have a draw of 8-15k need a stadium built with a capacity of 30,000 plus? Why not scale down and build to accomodate the area and as the support grows, grow it. The NHL requiring lofty goals from a new location and not supporting it financially or through broadcasting deals and a share system of some sort is 90% why new teams do poorly and fail. Atlanta has gone through this twice and if the NHL put in a hundredth of an effort to help them with the requirements the NHL placed down, that team would be thriving.

The whole concept of some areas not being ideal hockey locations is sound but the NHL has to understand that big money markets are already taken up by NHL or NHL clubs plural, so all that's left is mid-market to low-market teams. The NHLs MO at this point should be spreading the league out through exposure and through enhancing/growing the hockey culture in places that have it and would be therefore ideal to have a team. With that said, this list sucks. The only city on it deserving of a team is QC, that's an absolute no-brainer and rights a wrong that is the worst of the wrongs Bettman has done. This would be a good time for THE NHL MAP but I don't have any space online to put it up from, so I'll just say if this was me (Mr. Longwinded), and we really needed to put in 4 teams AND have them be new teams and not move teams we already have (to me a much better plan), I'd give out the teams to:

Quebec City - No brainer
Saskatoon - Geographically and hockey culture-wise.
Anchorage - Yes, I'm crazy, I said Alaska. And yes, I seriously considered saying Mystery which if it existed, would top the list, but as far as I know, it doesn't.
Indiana - The Racers are historic for having brought Gretzky and Mess into the league and would be a really good media exposure for them. Granted this is a NASCAR state, but a working NHL team might work here.

And as an honorable mention/alternative:
Idaho - Geographically the NHL should have a team here. I was about to say Montana, North or South Dakota, but the population densities make it really, really hard to stake a claim financially.

I don't feel we need 2+ NHL teams in the area (unless there's a real extenuating circumstance and a fanbase that hates the hometown team but loves the sport), nor should we blanket the country/countries with teams but build the culture from within.

Alright, fire away.
:okman:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Newark may be in New Jersey but its a stones throw from NYC, as is Nassau County. While Long Island is not part of the city its close enough for us to attempt competing with NYC culture, so proximity wise you can fairly say the geographic area does "support" 3 teams if you think what the islanders draw counts as support. Buffalo is practically a whole state away. Yes it's New York but it's something along the lines of a 6 or so hour drive, maybe more. We can get to Philadelphia and back faster than that. Bringing Buffalo into any conversation about downstate/tri-state area sports teams is pointless.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If I was in favor of expanding the league, which I'm most certainly not, I'd push to right some wrongs first. That means moving (not expanding) teams out of the south. Phoenix can move to Quebec City instead of expanding there, Florida can move to Hamilton instead of expanding there. Carolina can move back to Hartford, Tampa Bay can move to Saskatoon, Nashville can move to Seattle and Dallas can move to Kansas City. Then we can talk about what to do with possibly expanding to some colder climate markets like Indianapolis or even Southern Alaska though I'm sure the travel would be hell.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

glen a richter wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I agree it's not a great idea. They have be careful of over saturation .

2 teams in Minnesota? Las Vegas, Minnesota? You suck at geography too.
WRONG! You can't read retard! They have talked about adding another team in the Toronto area and another team in Minnesota so I said no to that!