Blues vs. Blackhawks Round 1 Discussion Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues vs. Blackhawks Round 1 Discussion Thread

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

glen a richter wrote:With a couple more days until the massacre begins, I'm starting to feel slightly more confident, going forward. It would be nice to have Vova back by the time they hit the road--especially if they split the first two games and obviously need to take at least one in Chi-town. If he's not clear to go by game 3, my confidence will take a definite dive.
Vova??

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Vova = Vlad Tarasenko. They didn't give you a rundown on nicknames over @ the Asylum?
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Toasted Oates wrote:Vova = Vlad Tarasenko. They didn't give you a rundown on nicknames over @ the Asylum?
LOL..no...why not call him Vladdy T or something?

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I've been watching the interviews that they've been putting up on their website with Hitchcock, Oshie, etc. and I can't get a read on these guys. Maybe I'm just out of my mind and trying to be optimistic but something was weird with the last couple weeks of the season and part of me thinks this has been some kind of ploy to rest guys and position themselves into a different matchup. Does anyone really want to draw Chicago though? I don't know. Frankly, a team like Dallas/Minnesota could have a been a more difficult matchup for us; kind of like the new guy that doesn't know any better so he just comes out swinging and pulls out the upset. That's not saying Chicago is easier by any means. I feel like the Blues may be more familiar with them though. That maybe they're more predictable.

I guess we just need to let it play out. It is what it is. I'm just hoping for a good, competitive series. I'd be ok with us mopping the floor with them though too. :wink:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote:Vova = Vlad Tarasenko. They didn't give you a rundown on nicknames over @ the Asylum?
Cause he goes by Vova. Duh... :facepalm: :facepalm:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ComradeT wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Cause he goes by Vova. Duh... :facepalm: :facepalm:
Precisely. That's the dudes nickname.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cprice12 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
cprice12 wrote:Some people need a smack on the head when discussing the Blues struggles. It's like they are oblivious to the injuries.
Seriously...what did they expect with half of the roster and numerous irreplaceable guys going down with injuries?

Idiots.

Twitter sucks for debating. Can't do it in 140 characters. :lol:
But the Blues were faltering even before the injuries. Their scoring was down and GAA up even before the injuries. The injuries just made it worse.
We slumped (Or as I feel, everyone just coasted) and got a few injuries at the wrong time, that's all it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't have more than a two game skid all season. Other teams have had 5-6 game skids at a few points this season. This has been a hell of a year for the Blues in the regular season. The one thing I think has been read wrong has been the challenge the team has faced. I think that's a good thing, to see how the team reacts after getting slammed for 3-4 goals without scoring one or just one or two. That we didn't lose that many save when injuries and Hitch holding out players says alot about our depth and core. We're going to lose some and we'll win, but with that said, we did really well this year. Why I'm not worried about the playoffs. To me, the team has proved that they have the mettle and the physical to win. They just have to want it, and want it badly, more badly than they say they want it.

We've dominated the Hawks all year and they're coming in banged up too, so that's just more incentive. If we don't win this series, it won't be due to injury or bad luck or Hitch's playbook or anything like that, it'll be due to these guys not wanting it enough.

And I feel they want it more than enough.
We didn't dominate the Hawks this year. Yes, we won the season series, but the first game was 3-2 Blues, the 2nd game went to a shootout and we won 3-2, the 3rd game we had a big 3rd period comeback and won 6-5 in a shootout. And we lost the last 2 games, 4-0 & 4-2.
Actually, both the Hawks and Blues got 6 pts. out of the 5 game season series.
We are 2-0 against them at home though. Our two losses and an OT win came in Chicago. So that is encouraging with us having home ice advantage.
And game 1 and 2 are played where? :)

Hell, we play FOUR games at home to their two. I'm still calling it Blues sweep. This has been by far the most bizzare year for the Note. Set a record. Have EVERYBODY saying we're going to get creamed (Had we won those six games, everyone would be saying it'd be us winning and that's just too damn much pressure, to me, make the Hawks work through that pressure again while not being 100/100.). There's too much weird and bizzare stuff going on that's making me feel like we're going to come out high winding and we're not going to come back down til we hoist the Cup.

Hell, if we're going to have a sentiment one way or the other, let's pick the positive. The whole city of St. Louis needs to pool into that and direct it to the Note. The Hawks ain't their team, the Blues are.

So let's destroy the Hawks. Say I'm a dreamer, but I can't be the only one. And we got the tools, a rested Miller and a ready-to-soar Elliott to come in with.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
glen a richter wrote:With a couple more days until the massacre begins, I'm starting to feel slightly more confident, going forward. It would be nice to have Vova back by the time they hit the road--especially if they split the first two games and obviously need to take at least one in Chi-town. If he's not clear to go by game 3, my confidence will take a definite dive.
Vova??
If you never heard his nickname before, that's gotta sounds vulgar as hell, huh? lol.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Of course the experts pick Chicago. I would too. Loaded defending champion with multiple cups versus team that limped to the finish plagued with injuries, can't score consistently, and hasn't been past the second round? It's a clear choice to favor the hawks.

But picks don't mean much. They actually play the games for a reason.

The only answer is to wait and see what happens.

I'm glad no one thinks they have a chance because I hope it will help them regroup and focus on the details.
Interestingly, the Vegas odds still have the Blues favored to win the West.

There's alot of "If"s that apply -- if we are healthy enough, if Miller plays like an elite goalie, and most importantly if this core can find some 'heart' that they've lacked in the past couple series against LA -- this could be watershed series for the Blues.

If none of the above apply, this will be a core-shaking set back.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

flyingnote38 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:Of course the experts pick Chicago. I would too. Loaded defending champion with multiple cups versus team that limped to the finish plagued with injuries, can't score consistently, and hasn't been past the second round? It's a clear choice to favor the hawks.

But picks don't mean much. They actually play the games for a reason.

The only answer is to wait and see what happens.

I'm glad no one thinks they have a chance because I hope it will help them regroup and focus on the details.
Interestingly, the Vegas odds still have the Blues favored to win the West.

There's alot of "If"s that apply -- if we are healthy enough, if Miller plays like an elite goalie, and most importantly if this core can find some 'heart' that they've lacked in the past couple series against LA -- this could be watershed series for the Blues.

If none of the above apply, this will be a core-shaking set back
Exactly this.

If none of those apply, it is time for a major overhaul... moving out some "core" guys for other pieces.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'll admit, with two days "off" and not seeing the Blues lose another game... I'm feeling a bit better... like the storm has calmed a bit. That if the troops can rally then we're still in good shape. I guess that's the single best thing about the playoffs... TOTALLY clean slate. You know who you're playing, you have seven games to win four... nothing else in the world of your sport matters. The last two weeks of the season are ancient history. Ice down the last of the bruises, shake it off. Let's roll. I really hope the players are feeling the way I am right now, and we even have another day off before the series starts. I dare say, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I'll admit, with two days "off" and not seeing the Blues lose another game... I'm feeling a bit better... like the storm has calmed a bit. That if the troops can rally then we're still in good shape. I guess that's the single best thing about the playoffs... TOTALLY clean slate. You know who you're playing, you have seven games to win four... nothing else in the world of your sport matters. The last two weeks of the season are ancient history. Ice down the last of the bruises, shake it off. Let's roll. I really hope the players are feeling the way I am right now, and we even have another day off before the series starts. I dare say, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic
Two more days... Two more days... Two more days...

2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

3 days off could be the best thing for this team. I was very happy to see they didn't start the playoffs on Wednesday.
An extra day of rest for those guys on the bubble to return and some time to clear their heads and forget about the way the season ended.
They haven't had 3 days off since the olympic break.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

beat2life
Rookie
Rookie

Post by beat2life »

glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Is game 1 Wednesday or Thursday?
Don't know if they've posted, but Miley Cyrus has a concert on Wednesday, so most people believe Game 1 in Thursday, Game 2 is Saturday.
I would never wish long term incurable disease on anyone, even my worst enemy. So I'll just say this: I hope all the Hawks go to her concert, get invited to some backstage twerkfest-tongue wagging whatever, get a TEMPORARY two week venereal disease and end up playing like crap due to some mysterious ass rash that makes it difficult to skate. And of course as soon as they're eliminated, they can be magically cured.
your wish got misdirected. or did it?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/showbiz/m ... pitalized/

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Bitch is too stupid to know she is in Missouri. Typical.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

OaklandBlue, there is a greater chance Martians or the mythical Jesus will knock on your front door than a Blues sweep! Just FYI 68% of fans on the NHL bracket challenge say Hawks win the series. Considering the Blues play lately I'm surprised it's not higher!

And it's NOT just injuries! Backes and Oshie were often coming up with goose eggs down the stretch when we needed them! Look at the Blues playoff scoring and it doesn't strike fear in anyone.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:OaklandBlue, there is a greater chance Martians or the mythical Jesus will knock on your front door than a Blues sweep! Just FYI 68% of fans on the NHL bracket challenge say Hawks win the series. Considering the Blues play lately I'm surprised it's not higher!

And it's NOT just injuries! Backes and Oshie were often coming up with goose eggs down the stretch when we needed them! Look at the Blues playoff scoring and it doesn't strike fear in anyone.
The Blackhawks have a bigger fan base. That plays a large role in that poll.
It's no scientific. It doesn't mean much.

It's funny how everyone is talking about the Blues injuries and how even if they come back they won't be 100% and Chicago will roll over them. The Hawks have two superstars that are hurt and conveniently coming back for game #1, just like a few Blues players may be doing. Oddly...nobody is talking about the possibility that Toewes and Kane may not be 100%.

If we get our key guys back and if Miller plays well, we're taking this (Franking) series.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

If anyone needs a smile...here are some numbers.

This year...compared to the Hawks...

St. Louis finished 4th overall. Chicago finished 7th overall.
St. Louis won 6 more total games than Chicago.
St. Louis had 6 less total losses than Chicago.
St. Louis had a better PP than Chicago.
St. Louis had a better PK than Chicago.
St. Louis allowed fewer shots against per game than Chicago.
St. Louis allowed fewer goals than Chicago... Blues GAA: 2.29 --- Hawks GAA: 2.58
St. Louis won the season series vs. the Hawks 3-2-0.
St. Louis is 2-0 at home vs. the Hawks and we have home ice advantage.
St. Louis has a better winning % than Chicago when scoring first, when trailing first, and when leading after 2 periods.
St. Louis outhit Chicago this year, 1839 to 1375 (Chicago is dead last in the NHL in hits)
St. Louis blocked more shots than Chicago.
St. Louis had fewer giveaways than Chicago (Blues were best in the NHL here)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting stats but if you break it down and look at the 2nd half of the season or the last month or 2 those would be noticeably worse.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

At least someone is picking the Blues in this series.
Grantland wrote:Series starts: Thursday night in St. Louis

Season series: The Blues took the first three meetings (two of them in shootouts), but the Blackhawks beat them twice in the season’s final weeks.

Line no. 1: The old-school narrative
The Blues are in free fall, collapsing under the weight of their season-long status as Stanley Cup favorites, and now face a humiliating first-round exit at the hands of the defending champs.

Line no. 2: Professor Fancystats says …
The Blues’ losing streak has been driven largely by PDO, so it’s no great cause for concern — but a matchup with the Blackhawks and their excellent 55.2 percent Fenwick sure is.

Line no. 3: The key question
How could a Blues team that was fourth in the league in goals scored on April 1 manage to score just seven times in its final eight games?

Line no. 4: One player to watch
It’s not a hard pick here: The Blues paid a ransom to acquire goalie Ryan Miller with the expectation that he’d be the final piece in their Stanley Cup puzzle, and now it looks like they’ll need him to win this series.

Prediction: Miller gets it done, the Blues win in six, and everyone goes back to considering them Cup favorites.
Full article linky

The reference to PDO is interesting because it suggests, from a stat perspective, that the lack of scoring is unsustainable, an aberration. For an excellent explanation of PDO, see this article.