Aldon Smith Detained at LAX, Indicated He Possessed Bomb

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Aldon Smith Detained at LAX, Indicated He Possessed Bomb

Post by dmiles2186 »

I don't even know what to say about this one...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10777 ... es-airport
Los Angeles police detained San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday afternoon after he indicated he was in possession of a bomb.

The police did not identify the man they detained as Smith, but 49ers general manager Trent Baalke issued a statement that confirmed it, saying: "We are disappointed to learn of the incident today involving Aldon Smith. As this is a pending legal matter and we are still gathering the pertinent facts, we will have no further comment."

Aldon Smith
Jed Jacobsohn/Getty ImagesTroubled 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith was detainedat Los Angeles International Airport.

According to Los Angeles police public information officer Karla Ortiz, the incident happened as the man later identified as Smith was going through Terminal 1 screening and was randomly selected for secondary screening.

Smith then became belligerent and uncooperative with the process and with the TSA agent, making a comment indicating that he was in possession of a bomb before proceeding toward the gate area, according to Ortiz.

Los Angeles Airport Police made contact with him at the gate and he then became uncooperative again and was detained and taken into custody by Airport Police.

Many people on the scene, including former Marine veteran Clayton Mullaly, captured the incident on video.

This incident is Smith's latest run-in with the law.

In November, Smith pleaded not guilty to three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon, stemming from an incident at a party at his home in 2012.

Smith also missed five games this past season while spending time in an alcohol treatment center. He entered treatment voluntarily three days after he was arrested for drunk driving for the second time since early 2012.

Despite the five-game absence, Smith finished with 12 sacks and 34 tackles over the course of the Niners' season, which ended in a NFC Championship Game loss to division rival Seattle.

Smith, 24, is facing charges for both the arrest for the incident at his home and the September arrest for drunk driving. This latest incident could trigger league discipline. The NFL did not suspended Smith after the September arrest. In October, commissioner Roger Goodell said the fact that Smith voluntarily sought treatment could play a role in him not getting a suspension.

Information from ESPN.com's 49ers reporter Bill Williamson and The Associated Press was used in this report.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Aldon Smith Detained at LAX, Indicated He Possessed Bomb

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Whoa! :aaaa:

Getting caught with a bomb could mean 20 to 30 years in jail on a terrorism charge!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I wonder if it was just a misunderstanding like Meet the Parents or Meet the Fockers when Ben Stiller said bomb or whatever as a joke.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

LOL..I misunderstood. I thought he actually had a bomb.

But still he's in a lot of trouble.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:I wonder if it was just a misunderstanding like Meet the Parents or Meet the Fockers when Ben Stiller said bomb or whatever as a joke.
That's exactly what I thought of. He's dumb as hell. Why would anybody ever do that? Part of the humor of it in the movie is that it's so outrageous that it would never happen in real life. Until now.

I think this will more or less blow over, but he just made his life needlessly complicated for the near future.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen