World Cup 2014

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

World Cup 2014

Post by dmiles2186 »

We've officially got our World Cup Groups and the US drew a tough, tough, tough group. Good God.

Group A

Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Group B

Spain
Netherlands
Chile
Australia

Group C

Colombia
Greece
Côte d'Ivoire
Japan

Group D

Uruguay
Costa Rica
England
Italy

Group E

Switzerland
Ecuador
France
Honduras

Group F

Argentina
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria

Group G

Germany
Portugal
Ghana
USA

Group H

Belgium
Algeria
Russia
Korea Republic

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by cardsfan04 »

I've heard our best shot might be to go 1-1-1 with a win over Ghana and a draw against Portugal. That sucks. We're supposed to have a good team by US standards.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I've heard our best shot might be to go 1-1-1 with a win over Ghana and a draw against Portugal. That sucks. We're supposed to have a good team by US standards.
This past calendar year was one of the best I've ever witnessed from the US. They started the year on rocky ground, but they went on, I believe, a 13 game winning streak. Aside from early in the year, they dominated World Cup qualifying. So to get this draw was absolutely gutting. You are probably right, best case scenario is to go 1-1-1, but the issue is that Ghana has our number. They've knocked us out of the last two World Cups. Maybe this is the year. But if the US lose that first game against Ghana, they're going to have a long, tough road to make it to the knockout stage.

The positives are that Portugal barely qualified for the Cup, and even though they've got Ronaldo, if the US plays their best ball, we might have a shot in that one. And even though it was a friendly, and really they brought their B team, we beat Germany this past year. But ultimately, I think the US thrives in an underdog role. And from all the interviews I've seen from players and Klinsmann, they're driving that point home and seem ready to stand up to the challenge.

Ultimately, it was a tough draw, but if the US can make it out of the group stage, then I wouldn't count them out of anything. There always seems to be Cinderellas in the World Cup, and who is to say it's not the red, white, and blue?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Or it's literally the biggest sporting even in the world. Whatever you want to call it.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Whoa! We're in the group of death! I tried to watch sucker and basebarf but fell asleep! :lol:

Pele just said only 2 of 13 airports in Brazil are ready for the World Cup! This could be a disaster! But I will watch some games since it's the biggest sporting event on earth.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

First game today at 3. BRING IT ON!
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know EXACTLY what you mean dude!

When Beckham came here in 2006 or so I was shocked at how boring it is. I was wondering WHY are people making a big deal about this?? I did follow Beckham and the LA Galaxy for a couple years before it got so horribly boring I just quit! I also don't see why people follow EPL or club leagues with towns in Europe most Americans never go to and have no connection to!

The only soccer I follow somewhat is the men's and women's World Cups. I actually prefer the women's WC a little more because the U.S. team actually has a chance to win! Leaving Donovan off the U.S. team is a big mistake but even with him I highly doubt they get out of the group of death!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The reason people in America follow EPL teams is because it's the best league in the World. It's no different from folks anywhere else in the World following MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL teams. They house the best players and the best teams. Highest quality play wins out.

I disagree about leaving Donovan off. It sucks. But he would be nothing more than a 'pinch hitter' so to speak. He was struggling for a starting spot as it was. He most likely would have been a sub off the bench when a goal was needed. I think he'd be great in that role, for sure. But he's not the Donovan of 4 years ago, let alone 2 years ago. He's lost a step or two. And I'm a Donovan fan. I would love to see him out there for one more go. But if, as you say, with or without Donovan we wouldn't make it out of the group, why not give the guys who will be here 4 years from now some WC experience?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Soccer is a game of strategy. Goals are so scarce that the high of a goal is higher than any other sport to me. The buildup to a goal is incredible. The exasperation when a chance comes up empty is crushing. It can be boring at times, sure, but so can any game against the Minnesota Wild (or the Blues, as some opposing fans will attest). I'm not going to try to sway you guys to be soccer fans, but there is a flow to a game that if you start watching more, you'll pick up on. There's little battles on each possession. The ebb and flow and surges that each team can go on. Some people boil that down to boring, I don't.

(I also still find it ironic that one of the board's biggest baseball fans calls soccer boring. Sorry glenny. :mrgreen: )

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

dmiles2186 wrote:Soccer is a game of strategy. Goals are so scarce that the high of a goal is higher than any other sport to me. The buildup to a goal is incredible. The exasperation when a chance comes up empty is crushing. It can be boring at times, sure, but so can any game against the Minnesota Wild (or the Blues, as some opposing fans will attest). I'm not going to try to sway you guys to be soccer fans, but there is a flow to a game that if you start watching more, you'll pick up on. There's little battles on each possession. The ebb and flow and surges that each team can go on. Some people boil that down to boring, I don't.

(I also still find it ironic that one of the board's biggest baseball fans calls soccer boring. Sorry glenny. :mrgreen: )
I am very fair about it! Both baseball and soccer are cures for insomnia and put you to sleep! Eventhough I am in St.Louis I have never liked boreball and I have actually met quite a few people over the years who also don't like it. I know baseball is the biggest sport in town but I think their popularity is overblown. They say 1/4 to 1/3 of cars at Bush come from out of the St.Louis region.

I will say the World Cup is an exception because it's the biggest event in the world. Baseball is so boring that no nation on earth considers it a major sport except the U.S., Japan, and maybe Canada. Hockey is a major sport in about a dozen nations!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:Soccer is a game of strategy. Goals are so scarce that the high of a goal is higher than any other sport to me. The buildup to a goal is incredible. The exasperation when a chance comes up empty is crushing. It can be boring at times, sure, but so can any game against the Minnesota Wild (or the Blues, as some opposing fans will attest). I'm not going to try to sway you guys to be soccer fans, but there is a flow to a game that if you start watching more, you'll pick up on. There's little battles on each possession. The ebb and flow and surges that each team can go on. Some people boil that down to boring, I don't.

Soccer is only boring to other people because of the short span of attention that is the standard in the modern society and it's just impossible to many people to sit through 45 minutes of game time with no commercials and other shit. Dmiles, I say you and me have Curt block everyone else's access to this thread so that we can discuss the beautiful game without interruption. :mrgreen:

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

ComradeT wrote:

Soccer is only boring to other people because of the short span of attention that is the standard in the modern society and it's just impossible to many people to sit through 45 minutes of game time with no commercials and other shit. Dmiles, I say you and me have Curt block everyone else's access to this thread so that we can discuss the beautiful game without interruption. :mrgreen:
Typical soccer communists! :mrgreen:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ComradeT wrote:

Works for me!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Typical soccer communists! :mrgreen:
Thanks, JNE. Notwithstanding its intent, I take your comment as a compliment.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

A lot of American sports media is talking about Fred's flop yesterday and blaming him, but man, that ref should get all the heat. He's he one who called it. He's he one who acted like it was a penalty without a doubt. Either way, Brazil got a gift.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Put me in the group that thinks leaving Donovan home was a difficult but correct decision.

Aside from his age/play, he is alleged to have had a difficult relationship with the coach. His stature in American Soccer would have made him the de facto team captain, and as such he may have been more distraction than addition even if he was in shape. Without Landon, others have to step up and take charge - other's who might play the system/team game better.

I had a conversation at a coaching clinic last fall with Bob Gansler about USA's chances in this year's cup. His observation was if USA takes the best position players they will be home early. He gave an example, without naming names, of previous teams have taken player X because he's an "excellent defender on the right side in the back" rather than taking the best all around soccer players and making them just play. He pointed out that many players on the other national sides play different positions with their club teams, but are pushed to the side or the back on their national sides. Don't take "role players" take "soccer players" is what he said.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Donovan should be there even as a bench player. He has paid his dues and earned it. Either way it's very unlikely they make it out of the group of death.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Donovan should be there even as a bench player. He has paid his dues and earned it. Either way it's very unlikely they make it out of the group of death.
Earned has nothing to do with it. They don't get another crack at this next year. It's 4 years away and only if they qualify. They need the players that are in peak form right now. He's not one of them, honestly. Klinsmann is going to go after teams by running them into the ground. That's the game plan anyway. Landon doesn't have the legs for that.

And yes, the USA have the cards stacked against them. But hey, anything can happen.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I had a conversation at a coaching clinic last fall with Bob Gansler about USA's chances in this year's cup. His observation was if USA takes the best position players they will be home early. He gave an example, without naming names, of previous teams have taken player X because he's an "excellent defender on the right side in the back" rather than taking the best all around soccer players and making them just play. He pointed out that many players on the other national sides play different positions with their club teams, but are pushed to the side or the back on their national sides. Don't take "role players" take "soccer players" is what he said.
That's a really good point. I trust what Klinsmann is doing. He's been tasked with not only doing well now, but designing a system that future generations of US teams will follow. Just like other world powers in the sport, our players will all grow up staying the same system instead of the system that fits the team. I love that idea.