World Series: Cards vs. Red Sox

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

World Series: Cards vs. Red Sox

Post by dmiles2186 »

Waino v Lester in Game 1. Revenge for '04? Battle for best team of the 2000's so far? Whatever you want to call it...

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: World Series: Cards vs. Red Sox

Post by stinkdified »

So uh...yeah, apparently the Westboro Church is going to be picketing games 3 and 4...should be interesting. :roll:
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

stinkdified wrote:So uh...yeah, apparently the Westboro Church is going to be picketing games 3 and 4...should be interesting. :roll:
Best if everyone would just ignore those trolls...

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I'm ready for some baseball.. Hard to focus today.

:gocards:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

abc789987 wrote:
stinkdified wrote:So uh...yeah, apparently the Westboro Church is going to be picketing games 3 and 4...should be interesting. :roll:
Best if everyone would just ignore those trolls...
Yeah. They are essentially just attention whores. I understand why they are hard to ignore, but if they didn't get the publicity they get, they might ~go away.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

An utterly craptastic start to Game 1. And now Beltran is out with a right rib contusion after waiting 15 years for his first WS appearance. Grand.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

What a steaming pile of crap this game is.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ugh

at least they play 7.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

yay

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I don't know what it is with us and playing teams that have pitchers who can't throw to third base, but I'll take it. Wacha and Lackey were both spectacular last night. Really fun game.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

BoSox 1, Cardinals 1, Umpires 1... heading into game 4.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:BoSox 1, Cardinals 1, Umpires 1... heading into game 4.
So you think the Red Sox got screwed? How about Farrell not double switching and leaving his pitcher in to hit in the top of the 9th, knowing he wasn't going to hit? How about Farrell not ordering an intentional walk to Jay with Kozma on deck and to also create force outs at every base?

Obviously, I'm biased here and I do feel weird about how the game ended. But the obstruction rule was correctly called. Umps did their job correctly. If that happened in the first inning and was the difference in a one run game, I doubt it would be such a big deal.

Big Papi said a World Series game shouldn't end that way. I wonder if he would feel differently if he was the one that was tripped and then got thrown out at home because of it. My guess is his argument would be the other way.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The rule is the rule, yes, but it's a fishy rule at best. Middlebrooks made a diving attempt to keep the ball from going into the outfield. He fell short, but he couldn't possibly spring immediately to his feet after laying himself out like that. I understand that the rule doesn't take into account intent v. lack of intent and the running is always allowed a clear path, but it's just a weak rule. The defender should be equally allowed to make a 100% effort to stop the ball as the runner should be allowed to run the bases unobstructed. If anything, in a situation like that it should be a wash and the runner ordered back to 3rd base. They probably would have won on the next at bat anyway. In any event, it was clearly not Middlebrooks intent to obstruct the basepath.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Ugh. So how does game 5, 6, and maybe 7 end....

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The call last night was absolutely correct. When I saw it happen in real time, I immediately looked to see if Joyce would call it. When he pointed, I started celebrating. And, I think it's a good rule too. Here's why. It's not a punishment for the defense. It's not like a 5 yard penalty for being offside or anything. The sole purpose of the rule is to make the runner whole. There was nothing Middlebrooks could have done, but that doesn't (and shouldn't) matter. When the ball went into the OF, the game was effectively over. Without being tripped up, Craig scores easily, which is what the rule is trying to rectify.

It sucks for Boston. It really does, but they didn't lose the game on obstruction. They lost it on an errant throw. And let's not forget, the only reason Middlebrooks was in Craig's way at all is because of the awful throw that his teammate made.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

And, Wong, WTF man. That's just awful. If it was a 1 run game, I could kinda sorta see why he would want to have a big lead. But, down by 2, his run only matters if Beltran scores behind him. He doesn't care about scoring from first. He's not going to steal. His main job is just not to make a dumb out on the bases, because in any situation that Beltran scores, he's going to easily score too.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:The call last night was absolutely correct. When I saw it happen in real time, I immediately looked to see if Joyce would call it. When he pointed, I started celebrating. And, I think it's a good rule too. Here's why. It's not a punishment for the defense. It's not like a 5 yard penalty for being offside or anything. The sole purpose of the rule is to make the runner whole. There was nothing Middlebrooks could have done, but that doesn't (and shouldn't) matter. When the ball went into the OF, the game was effectively over. Without being tripped up, Craig scores easily, which is what the rule is trying to rectify.

It sucks for Boston. It really does, but they didn't lose the game on obstruction. They lost it on an errant throw. And let's not forget, the only reason Middlebrooks was in Craig's way at all is because of the awful throw that his teammate made.
This is the point that never gets mentioned. I've been saying this since it happened.
Boston fans can piss and moan about how a game shouldn't end like that, but the Sox made their own bed on that play. Saltalamachia had a piss poor throw to 3rd, which caused Middlebrooks to dive for the ball (which he probably should have had btw), and then he's laying in the path that Craig needs to take to get home.

100% correct call, and it's annoying to hear anyone say a game shouldn't end like that...because if it didn't end like that, that means Craig doesn't get awarded home for being interfered with when he would have easily scored otherwise...which would have been a crime against the Cardinals if he wasn't awarded home.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Going into games 3, 4, and 5, I thought the Cards would need to take 2 of 3 if they had any shot at the Series. Obviously, they only took 1. So I'm nervous going back to Boston, even with Wacha and Kelly. I'm not sure the Cardinals can take 2 in Boston. It's entirely possible, of course, but with their stagnant offense, it feels like every mistake is magnified and will be even more so in Fenway.

Speaking of magnified mistakes, walking Stephen Drew who only has 1 hit up to this point, was the beginning of the end last night. Can't do it. And then to complicate things, you give up the double to David Ross, who looks more like he should be a tweed wearing poetry teacher. But I digress. Still, if the offense had any more pop than it has shown, maybe one walk and one run aren't such a big deal.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Yeah, going back to Boston down 3-2 makes me nervous. Definitely the underdogs. Hopefully Wacha has one more awesome start in him. And, at some point we have to remember how to hit again, right? It seems like when we bust out of a slump, we do it in style. And Fenway is a hitter's park. Would be pretty nice if we suddenly start hitting the cover off the ball. We'll see though. Definitely not a good spot to be in.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Win or lose, tonight is going to suck. I'll be one big ball of nerves. Coming out and putting up 8 runs in the first would be nice.