Hockey News: Blues to Win Cup

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Hockey News: Blues to Win Cup

Post by gaijin »

I don't know what these guys are smoking, but maybe they could pass it around a bit...

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/ho ... es-win-cup
By Evan Moore

The Hockey News has made their prediction on who will raise Lord Stanley’s Cup at the end of the 2013-2014 season. Blackhawks fans may want to turn away. The St. Louis Blues is the team The Hockey News believes will win the Stanley Cup in the upcoming 2013-2014 season.

The Blues were also picked to go far last season but they were eliminated in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs by the Los Angeles Kings. The Hockey News believes that the Blues have learned from the playoff disappointments from last two seasons.

“The St. Louis Blues came within two points of first in the West last season, largely because they were the NHL’s top defensive team, riding amazing efforts by goaltenders Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak,”according to the staff. They also believe that the Blackhawks' downfall this season will be the result of standing pat during the offseason.

“The Hawks settled for status quo this offseason, failing to add a marquee free agent or pull a major trade. That means a few problem areas weren’t addressed.”

The Blues will host the defending Stanley Cup Champion,the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct 9.
:cup:

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Hockey News: Blues to Win Cup

Post by abc789987 »

I've heard this before. I will not believe it till I see them raise the cup above their heads.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

They certainly have the talent to do it. And we saw how they could dominate any team once Hitch came on in the 2011-2012 season. It's just ever since losing to the Kings in the 2012 playoffs, they've been so inconsistent. As Hitch said about 1500 times last year, it's about getting everyone to buy in. If they can do that for 82 games plus 16 postseason wins, then sure, it could happen.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

That center quote is talking about 2 seasons ago.

Yeah, I don't buy it either.

I think the Blues have been a popular, "look at me, I'm smart" longshot pick for a long long time, but it never means anything.

I don't think this team is that close honestly. I think they're pretty good, but not great.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

kodos wrote:I don't think this team is that close honestly. I think they're pretty good, but not great.
After watching other teams in the playoffs last season, I've come to the conclusion we are no where close. We can't skate with them.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think we're definitely close. We just need more scoring. I'm not sure if we have that yet, but Tarasenko and Schwartz are going into their second year in the league. And, Roy could be what we were looking for in terms of a setup guy. If our scoring can step up a little, we could be one of the best teams in the league. If it doesn't, we're still going to be a very good team that nobody looks forward to playing in the playoffs.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

abc789987 wrote:
kodos wrote:I don't think this team is that close honestly. I think they're pretty good, but not great.
After watching other teams in the playoffs last season, I've come to the conclusion we are no where close. We can't skate with them.
And yet every game we played against the defending champs was won/lost by 1 goal. Not to mention that Dustin Penner, two time winner of Lord Stanley's Cup, said that the Blues series was the toughest he had ever experienced in the playoffs.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Hey that's super. Let's give them a ribbon for being the "toughest team to play in the playoffs".

Sorry, not to sound snarky, but eventually you just get tired of hearing stuff like that. It just doesn't matter. Win in the playoffs. Good teams find a way to win.

Score more goals than the other team and move on. That's what matters.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

kodos wrote:Hey that's super. Let's give them a ribbon for being the "toughest team to play in the playoffs".

Sorry, not to sound snarky, but eventually you just get tired of hearing stuff like that. It just doesn't matter. Win in the playoffs. Good teams find a way to win.

I don't disagree with you. They don't give out participation trophies. But, I don't think we're far from being on the right side of things in the playoffs. I think if we hadn't drawn the Kings in round 1, our perspective on the Blues would be different.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

I feel like we get jinxed when they say this stuff :(

But I will say our team does have a good chance to win it, I really do think the team is built for it and if they learned from some of the mistakes from last year I think this will be another exciting year.

....But this is also a olympic year and that does take away from som of our guys.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

kodos wrote:Hey that's super. Let's give them a ribbon for being the "toughest team to play in the playoffs".

Yes, you are right. But from some of the posts here, it sounds like the current Blues are closer to that 05-06 Blues. I'm not satisfied with just being tough to play in the playoffs either, but it's something to hang our hat on. The comment was made that we can't skate with playoff teams. I disagreed with that and used Penner's quote as support to my argument.

We've all got bitterness in our hearts at the Blues' repeated failings. But that doesn't mean there aren't positives to take away. Every team has to overcome adversity to win a title. The Blues just have to deal with 50 years worth of adversity.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Blues will win the cup... whether it happens in this century is debatable.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I mean, not to be a debbie downer or anything, but in the last decade, the Blues have won exactly 1 playoff round.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I feel more confident this year then last year at this time.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

STLADOGG wrote:I feel more confident this year then last year at this time.
I feel confident IF:

1. Whoever ends up being between the pipes each night plays like two seasons ago.
2. The defense stays strong on a nightly basis.
3. The whole team decides to play 60 minutes instead of 40 minutes on a nightly basis.
4. Schwartz, Berglund and Tarasenko all have breakout offensive seasons.
5. Jaskin and Rattie make the team and contribute positively, in some way.

#1 and #2 should happen, #3 is dependent on leadership, particularly from Backes, which based on last season I think is poor leadership. At some point you have to stand up and tell the guys to stop putzing around and play the franking game right. Leadership by example is great and all, but it's not the type of leadership this team needs. #4 and #5 are dependent on Hitch loosening the reigns a little and letting the offensive guys be more creative--something I don't think is part of his playbook for this season.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

I think last year would have been better for us if we actually had a training camp and pre-season, our goalies were out of shape our "new guys" did not get the training and fundamentals they need during camp and pre-season drills, yet we still made the playoffs. Only problem I see with this season is the oylimpics (fyi I love the oylimpic hockey), certain players and coaches and gms are tied up in 7 teams, The Blues, Team Canada, Team USA, Team Russia, Team Sweden, Team Czech Republic, and Team Slovakia. How does this affect the season?
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

As far as I'm concerned, this is like preseason college football rankings; USC was ranked #1 last year, and at the end of the season they weren't in the top 25. It's nice to be hyped for a change, but at this point, IMO, it doesn't matter. October 3rd can't come soon enough.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Here is to a last place in the Western Conference. :okman:
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:
I feel confident IF:

1. Whoever ends up being between the pipes each night plays like two seasons ago.
2. The defense stays strong on a nightly basis.
3. The whole team decides to play 60 minutes instead of 40 minutes on a nightly basis.
4. Schwartz, Berglund and Tarasenko all have breakout offensive seasons.
5. Jaskin and Rattie make the team and contribute positively, in some way.

#1 and #2 should happen, #3 is dependent on leadership, particularly from Backes, which based on last season I think is poor leadership. At some point you have to stand up and tell the guys to stop putzing around and play the franking game right. Leadership by example is great and all, but it's not the type of leadership this team needs. #4 and #5 are dependent on Hitch loosening the reigns a little and letting the offensive guys be more creative--something I don't think is part of his playbook for this season.
That seems like a reasonable list. Agree on 1 and 2. It angers me that 3 even needs mentioning (not at you for mentioning it, but at the players that don't play a full 60). I don't know what to expect of Jaskin and Rattie, but I hope they contribute. 4 is the key IMO.

-I think Schwartz is going to be legit top 6 from the start this year. He seemed to really pick it up at the end of last year, and I'm really excited to see what he does with a year under his belt.
-I fear that we've seen Berglund break out already. Maybe not, but he has scored in bunches a few times but then disappeared. Maybe this is the year he finds consistency, but I have my doubts as to whether that will ever happen. If he is consistently at the top of his game this year, he will be the best player we've had on our roster in a decade though.
-No idea what to expect from Tank. Literally none whatsoever. He had flashes of brilliance last year, but they were pretty few and far between. That doesn't concern me too much because he was a rookie transitioning from the KHL, but still is a question mark. The conditioning thing bothers me some, but he is down 10 pounds this year (he weighed 229 last year?!?!??!). I have high aspirations for him longterm, but I really don't know when to expect him to come into his own. Hopefully it's this season.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

philco_3 wrote:Here is to a last place in the Western Conference. :okman:
Indeed. Hat tip to the Cal-GARY Flames!