Blues get Paajarvi from EDM for Perron

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Blues get Paajarvi from EDM for Perron

Post by KrustyKevo »

“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: Blues get Paajarvi from EDM for Perron

Post by KrustyKevo »

Bonus: we got a 2nd round pick as well. I think this was a steal for the Blues.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Paajarvi played on a team with no defense whatsoever and couldn't score his way out of a paper bag in his first three seasons. Will he contribute more offensively in the note or just be nothing more than a salary dump to clear room for Pie and Stewart? I'm eerily happy to see Perron go, but I'm lukewarm on the return at the moment. Maybe Paajarvi will prove me wrong and have a break out season. We all know he's capable of scoring in loads.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

How will we remember the David Perron area??!!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Here is Paajarvi's scouting report from Eliteprspects.com

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6014
Pääjärvi is a very speedy and skilled winger. His acceleration is top notch and what really characterizes his game is the way he drives to the net. In full speed, he gets around the opposing defenseman with ease and usually gets the puck on the net with a quick wrist-shot. Offensively, he is also blessed with above average hockey sense, nice technical skills and the ability to set up his teammates with passes. He is a creative player with smarts that usually scores quite spectacular goals and does things that are hard for the defensemen to read.

Defensively, he has throughout his career as a junior been considered as a sloppy player with not enough willingness to back check and to the dirty work. This is something Pääjärvi Svensson has worked very hard on and improved significantly. Today, he is in fact a quite capable two-way player that also battles for the puck and takes care of his responsibilities. However, there are still some defensive aspects that could use improvement. Size and strength is good and he has all the tools to become a dangerous offensive force in the future.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one yet. Perron frustrated me beyond belief last year. I really think his scoring will flourish in Edmonton, they've got so many weapons. We'll see, I guess. My gut feel at this point is that we didn't get enough in return. I would have thought we'd get a more proven player, but the draft pick helps. Got a guy with upside and a high round pick as well.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

But....this has nothing to do with free agency. :mrgreen:

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Possible that, in lite of the recently stunted discussion about the Pronger for Shanahan trade, this one ends up similar. Paajarvi proved generally useless, from an offensive standpoint, in Edmonton. Perron pissed us off too frequently with his nonchalant defensive style. If Paajarvi can go out there and score like he's capable of, it could be a steal. If he produces like he did in Edmonton, we'll be pining for Perron back by November 1st.

bluenotekidd
All-Star
All-Star

Post by bluenotekidd »

Since no one has done this yet... :cup:

Official LGB Sponsor of EVERYTHING MACINNIS

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I got a back and forth tweet going on with a guy who thinks this was a brilliant move. I'm trying to get him to sign up here. Seems a knowledgeable fellow.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

This wasn't a trade: this was a punt. I expect to get nothing in return from either the guy or the pick.

This screams salary dump. And that may not necessarily be a bad thing.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Okay is this really how his name is pronounced?
[youtube][/youtube]
*edit* okay i see it's a joke now. but I think we can work with it... haha
Last edited by abc789987 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

What the frank was that?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Nah.
Movement of Blues players warrants their own threads...not getting buried in one thread with everything else.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

jhensley
Prospect
Prospect

Post by jhensley »

I like this deal for both sides. I didn't feel like Perron was ever going to buy into the system in place and there was a real chance that all of his trade value would be squashed this year.

Now the Blues have a nice stable of bigger forwards that can help with the "funnel, funnel, funnel" strategy that is in place. Also, the 2nd round pick holds a good amount of value in the league and can be used to help bolster the team at the trade deadline if needed and wont hurt the active roster.

It is sad to see Perron go after so much promise and I hope he excels in Edmonton but getting another young, promising forward (where has this been said before? :P ) and a 2nd round pick is a good return for what Perron has shown the last year or so on the ice. Promise only holds value for so long.

Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Jaykay »

do you guys have an ä on your keyboards over there? :D

I do not know Pääjärvi at all, but somehow i like the fact that perron is gone. he always was at the bottom of my list of favorite players. I think he didn't 100% every shift here and then.

the 2nd round pick, i don't know. given the blues drafting-history the past years, and if i got it right, isn't our best scout a gm now? maybe we get lucky, who knows :okman:
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Our scouting did take a major hit when Jarmo left. What we have to show for it is a guy who says his shootout move is "shot". He may be good, but he sounds like a dim bulb. Fortunately, athletes don't have to be Rhodes Scholars. Unfortunately, he sounds way too much like Perron. On the plus side, Perron is gone and so are his careless turnovers. But what can Paajarvi provide that makes it a worthwhile trade? We should consider instituting a WAR like in baseball. Will the lack of turnovers and the space he creates for Tarasenko and Schwartz be better than his replacement in Perron?

jhensley
Prospect
Prospect

Post by jhensley »

Even if he is Perron-lite and can limit the turnovers, being able to sign Pietro and have Magnus on a cheaper contract and have a 2nd round pick is good value.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

glen a richter wrote:Our scouting did take a major hit when Jarmo left. What we have to show for it is a guy who says his shootout move is "shot". He may be good, but he sounds like a dim bulb. Fortunately, athletes don't have to be Rhodes Scholars. Unfortunately, he sounds way too much like Perron. On the plus side, Perron is gone and so are his careless turnovers. But what can Paajarvi provide that makes it a worthwhile trade? We should consider instituting a WAR like in baseball. Will the lack of turnovers and the space he creates for Tarasenko and Schwartz be better than his replacement in Perron?
I think the value of Paajarvi for the organization is that he isn't Perron. As in...Perron had too much local weight as a "fan favorite" for the organization to do as much to them as they would probably like. If you healthy scratch the guy, you have to start asking questions. They can scratch Paajarvi as much as they want if he doesn't work out. "Bad trade" is a lot easier to justify than "you won't play the guy whose name is on the back of the shirt I paid $100 for".
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Paajarvi is a good player,Perron was used up. Good trade.
We still have to sign him thought(hes a RFA).
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW