Whoa, Andy Mac

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Whoa, Andy Mac

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Post ... Retirement

Post-Concussion Concerns Lead to Andy McDonald Retirement

Longtime NHL forward Andy McDonald is calling it quits citing ongoing post-concussion concerns as the reason.

The 35 year-old Stanley Cup winner enjoyed a solid career that included close to 700 regular season games and nearly 500 points, but a much smaller number is ending his career.

McDonald had five documented concussions over the course of an 11-year NHL career, including two with the St. Louis Blues. The threat of another head injury not only ending his career but also the potential long-term effects began consuming the former All-Star.

“The last few years too much of the focus became worrying about the next hit. I was always thinking about it.” Said McDonald.

Retirement began creeping into McDonald’s head during the regular season but it wasn’t until after the Blues were eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings did he become 100% sure. He spent the last several weeks with his family and is confident now is the right time to move on with his life.

“I’m fortunate to get out now. I know I could play two or three more years and I love the game of hockey, but healthwise I know I shouldn’t be playing.”

The Strathroy, Ontario native says he’s in a good position to walk away now and focus his energy on his young family and no longer worry about the next concussion.

Leaving the game won’t be easy for McDonald who says the toughest part is how talented the Blues are and the potential the organization has moving forward.

McDonald’s future with the Blues was foggy at best. Coming off the final season of a four-year contract, it was unclear if the Blues had plans of re-signing the speedy forward. Unfortunately for McDonald, the ongoing symptoms continued to persist and the positives of retiring outweighed the risks of playing professional hockey.

Overlooked in both the OHL and NHL draft, McDonald enjoyed a great career at Colgate University tallying 67 goals in four years. After playing himself into one of the most sought after NCAA players, McDonald signed a free-agent contract with the Anaheim Ducks.

He entered the league in 2000 before breaking out a few seasons later. From 2005-2007 McDonald would score 61 goals and 163 points finishing second on the Ducks in scoring behind Teemu Selanne. He’d go on to play a major role in helping the Ducks capture the 2007 Stanley Cup scoring 10 playoff goals, good for second most in the NHL.

Traded to St. Louis for Doug Weight in 2008, McDonald would play his final five-plus seasons with the Blues.

The trade shocked a number of players in Anaheim as GM Brian Burke was forced to make a cost cutting decision. I remember calling Chris Pronger, who was playing in Anaheim at the time, to tell him I heard this trade was going down. Pronger responded by laughing out loud suggesting Anaheim wouldn’t make this deal. Several minutes later the trade was made official.

Plagued by multiple injuries, McDonald still produced 230 points in 294 career games as a Blue. His best season came in 2009 where he played 79 games and lead the Blues in scoring.

McDonald and his wife Gina have two kids and plan on raising their family in St. Louis. He’s become a partner with R.E.A. homes, a local company that builds high performance luxury homes. In all, McDonald lost almost 140 games in his career because of concussions. He understands the serious impact concussions can have not only on the individual but also on friends and family members around them. He plans on being outspoken in regard to head injuries moving forward and hopes to help educate other hockey players as more progress is made in studying concussions.

Since arriving on the scene with the Blues, McDonald has been a major contributor on the ice. The combination of speed, skill, and experience came at a time when the Blues were lacking in all three categories. In the short-term he has no plans of getting back into the game but is quick to say he isn’t closing any doors.

More to come,
Andy Strickland
Strickland.andy@gmail.com

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Whoa, Andy Mac

Post by abc789987 »

Whoa, you can say that again :wink:

Not very surprised. I hope he doesn't have head problems down the road. We got some good years out of him.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

First Kariya, now AMAC. Sad to see, it was fun watching him in the Blues uniform.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Good for him, it's gotta be difficult to hang them up when you feel that you have some years left in you. But it's good to see more players are becoming aware of the dangers of head injuries. Obviously, he wasn't as speedy as he used to be, but I'm happy that he went out a Blue.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

How will we remember the giant-bobble-helmet area???
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Wish him the best. When you have kids to raise, you definitely start thinking more about long-term health than you used to.

So long AMac, and thanks for all the fish.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Good on him getting out while his brain is still functioning. Sorry to see he couldn't bring the Blues a Cup. Where have we heard that before?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

You know what? Good for him. Takes a lot more guts to admit that your next concussion might cost a life of suffering and walk away than it does to say "F it" and play another 2-3 seasons which is I think the most AMac would've played anyway.

He wasn't going to command a big dollar contract, the risk would've been high... screw it. Very smart on his part I think. Thanks for your time in the 'note Andy! Steal for Doug Weight if ever there was one.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

sseagle wrote:How will we remember the giant-bobble-helmet area???
:lol:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Wish him the best!!!

Happy for the opportunity it opens for young blood!
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Word on teh twittersphere is that Scott Nichol has retired and will be working in the Preds organ-I-zation. Jamie Langenbrunner can't be far behind.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024