Rattie tearing it up

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Rattie tearing it up

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Blues prospect Ty Rattie helped the Portland Winterhawks win the WHL Championship on Sunday with a 5-1 win over the Edmonton Oil Kings at Rexall Place.

Rattie, 20, recorded a hat trick in the game. Two of his goals were scored while shorthanded.

Rattie finished the postseason with 20 goals during the 2013 WHL playoffs and has set a new WHL record with 50 career playoff goals, surpassing the previous mark of 47, which was originally set by Mark Pederson in 1988.

Rattie was also named the MVP of the WHL Championship series. He finished the postseason with 20 goals and 16 assists (36 points) in 21 games.

A 2011 second round pick of the Blues, Rattie has played with the Winterhawks since the 2008-09 season. In 62 regular season games this year, Rattie scored 48 goals and 62 assists.

Clicky!

While true that Juniors success does not automatically equal NHL success, good to see our 2nd round picks making some noise. We're going to have to come away with some steals in these drafts where we've dealt our first rounders to keep pace on the farm and keep prospects moving through the system.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Rattie tearing it up

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Rattie finished the postseason with 20 goals during the 2013 WHL playoffs and has set a new WHL record with 50 career playoff goals, surpassing the previous mark of 47, which was originally set by Mark Pederson in 1988.
Mark Pederson played 169 career NHL games, scoring 35 goals and 50 assists for 85 points.

So really, this record means nothing and there's little translation between leagues. Most 20 year olds who are going to light up the NHL are playing in the AHL or somewhere else. If he had topped Ray Ferraro's 108 goals in a season performance (192 pts) from '83-'84 we would have something.

Kid is 6'1' and weighs about 170... he's going to need to really bulk up to be a difference maker in the NHL.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

True, but a lot of very good NHL players started in the WHL.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

:cup:
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:Rattie finished the postseason with 20 goals during the 2013 WHL playoffs and has set a new WHL record with 50 career playoff goals, surpassing the previous mark of 47, which was originally set by Mark Pederson in 1988.
Mark Pederson played 169 career NHL games, scoring 35 goals and 50 assists for 85 points.

So really, this record means nothing and there's little translation between leagues. Most 20 year olds who are going to light up the NHL are playing in the AHL or somewhere else. If he had topped Ray Ferraro's 108 goals in a season performance (192 pts) from '83-'84 we would have something.

Kid is 6'1' and weighs about 170... he's going to need to really bulk up to be a difference maker in the NHL.
Ryan Nugent-hopkins. WHL to NHL. and most prospect reports compare these two to each other very favorably.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

theohall wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

Ryan Nugent-hopkins. WHL to NHL. and most prospect reports compare these two to each other very favorably.
So hes the two best parts of a snickers that isn't peanuts?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'll pencil him in for the 14 goals and 23 assists that all of our "goal scorers" give us.

:facepalm:
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

sseagle wrote:
theohall wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

So hes the two best parts of a snickers that isn't peanuts?
Sometimes.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

theohall wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

My point about our guy is he is scoring like that @ 20 years old in the WHL. Nugent-Hopkins is also 20 years old - and just completed his second year in the NHL. Our guy is older and more developed than his competition, and it doesn't seem like it will translate well to the NHL - particularly if he's not able to bulk up.

He's a 7.5 C on hockey futures - if everything comes out perfect for him he's a poor firstline or great second line player. But it's likely he never makes that potential.

I am not bagging the guy, but I don't expect him to be a significant upgrade or "game changing" impact player, which is what this team needs in the scoring zone.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

You shouldn't assign too much significance to numbers logged by 'over-agers' in Juniors.

I assume the reason both Jaskin and Rattie played in Major Junior this year was related to the lock-out.

But it is nice to have a situation where we actually have several forward prospects with scoring line potential
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Okay, so if Ty Rattie isn't the solution, who is or who could be? I hear alot of vagueness going and this guy has been good since Day One, so translating into the league just means getting his butt out there to play. If he's skating circles around the others in his league, isn't that a clear sign that Ty is ready?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Brent Sonne had a great season once upon a time too. I'd love for Rattie to come in and light up the lamp regularly, but realistically that probably won't happen, especially in Hitch's system. The only people impressed with the Blues drafting has been, well, us. What do we really have to show for it?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Okay, so if Ty Rattie isn't the solution, who is or who could be? I hear alot of vagueness going and this guy has been good since Day One, so translating into the league just means getting his butt out there to play. If he's skating circles around the others in his league, isn't that a clear sign that Ty is ready?
I think it's a clear sign that he has nothing more to prove and should get his shot. I'm not sure if it's a clear sign he's ready for the NHL though. 170 pounds is pretty small. AMac is 183. He's young and will bulk up some over time, but he's really small. I'm excited to see what he can do, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I think the recent Post Dispatch fluff piece on him said he had bulked up to 190.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to come in and be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL. He'll most likely end up as a 2nd/3rd liner who can pot 20ish per year.

EDIT: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 77c85.html

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Amac is also 5'8' - so that 183 is a ton more solid than this tall skinny kid at 180.

I think he's a nice piece, and I think he may turn in to a serviceable player. My point is more to people who think he's going to play point per game hockey at the next level - that's an unreasonable expectation.

But as a "maybe" 20 goal per year guy, he's just another part because we have a bunch of guys that do that. What we don't have is a 30-40 goal/point a game type forward, or, said another way, and elite scoring forward. This inability to consistently finish is killing this team.

I see this player more as a replacement for a similar talent at a higher price tag rather than as an additional scoring threat. The addition of a guy like rattie to the roster can free up cash to put towards a free agent or trade that can bring a real #1 scoring line threat to this team.

I go back to the CBJ getting Gaborik at the trade deadline and wonder what that type of finisher does for our team, both in his own production and in the space created for other players while defenses try to shut him down.

We really can't get any better from a defensive standpoint - our losses were more about inability to finish our chances than our ability to limit/create chances.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

His team is in the semi-finals now. Great experience for him.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Players that tear it up in leagues before getting to the NHL sometimes become stars in the NHL.
Players that don't tear it up in leagues before getting to the NHL, rarely become stars in the NHL, and quite often don't make it to the NHL at all.

I'd rather he be tearing it up than not tearing it up. And if he can come in and score 20+ goals a year, that's a winner. Anything else is icing.
Looking forward to seeing him in training camp.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:Players that tear it up in leagues before getting to the NHL sometimes become stars in the NHL.
Players that don't tear it up in leagues before getting to the NHL, rarely become stars in the NHL, and quite often don't make it to the NHL at all.

I'd rather he be tearing it up than not tearing it up. And if he can come in and score 20+ goals a year, that's a winner. Anything else is icing.
This is hockey, not cake. Icing = bad! :facepalm: :mrgreen: :lol: :okman:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

sseagle wrote:
cprice12 wrote:Players that tear it up in leagues before getting to the NHL sometimes become stars in the NHL.

WTF?

Icing on cake rules. Icing in hockey is only bad half the time.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:
sseagle wrote:

WTF?

Icing on cake rules. Icing in hockey is only bad half the time.
Pie > cake. Icing = bad news