Oshie Eyeing Game 1 Return

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Oshie Eyeing Game 1 Return

Post by dmiles2186 »

And other nuggets. From the Pee-Dee.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... Q0.twitter
After two days off the ice, T.J. Oshie will return to practice today with the intention of being ready for Game 1 of the Blues’ first-round playoff series.

Only 10 days ago, Oshie underwent surgery to repair his injured left ankle, which after two weeks off the ice revealed a stress fracture. The right winger skated Tuesday, a week after the surgery, but then underwent two days of off-ice treatment. Today he’s expected to ramp up his return.

“He’ll be a full-time participant starting (Friday),” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “He’ll be ready to go.”

Oshie is not expected to play Saturday when the Blues wrap up the regular season against Chicago, but the opening game of the playoffs — Tuesday or Wednesday — is a legitimate target.

Oshie missed eight games before the surgery, when his injury was labeled as a serious bruise, and Thursday he sat out his fifth game since the surgery.

“He’s a notoriously quick healer,” Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said. “He and (Barret) Jackman have the highest pain thresh-hold of our group, so I’m not surprised.”

Without Oshie, the Blues were 10-3 going into Thursday’s game against Calgary, but Armstrong said that’s a false read on the club.

“Sometimes you don’t realize how important somebody is until they’re not part of your team,” he said. “My appreciation for T.J. has gone up immensely going this stretch of games without him. The energy that he brings and the passion for the game is something that we really miss and I’m looking forward to getting him back in.”

Meanwhile, fourth-line center Scott Nichol is also close to returning. He missed his 13th consecutive game Thursday with a lower-body injury, which had been lingering before he finally left the lineup April 4.

“The last few days have felt real good,” Nichol said. “Just trying to get my conditioning, getting my explosiveness back.”

Asked about his plan to work Nichol back into the lineup once he’s healthy, Hitchcock replied: “Hopefully he’s available for selection for Game 1 and we’ll see what the lineup we’re facing looks like.”

Russell returns

{p style=”text-align: left;”}Defenseman Kris Russell returned to the lineup Thursday, replacing Jackman (ankle). Russell had sat out nine games, but it had been 13 since he played his regular position on defense.

{p style=”text-align: left;”}Russell was pushed out of the defensive rotation when Jay Bouwmeester and Jordan Leopold were acquired at the trade deadline.

{p style=”text-align: left;”}”I really liked my game,” Russell said. “In that regards, it was a bit tough for me. But we got two veteran defensemen and they’ve earned their right to play. That’s the way I took it and I tried to be as positive as I can. Some days are tough. Taking it as a chance to get better and just be ready when they want me.”

{p style=”text-align: left;”}Said Hitchcock: “Both him and Cole have really been good soldiers for our team. Ian is the other guy we’d like to get in a game. They’ve had a great attitude, players have loved them.”

Binnington honored

{p style=”text-align: left;”}Blues prospect Jordan Binnington, who plays for the Owen Sound Attack, was named the Ontario Hockey League’s goaltender of the year Thursday.

Binnington, 19, posted 32 wins, a 2.17 goals-against average (2.17), a .932 save percentage and seven shutouts this season. He was the Blues’ third-round pick (88th overall) in 2011.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Oshie Eyeing Game 1 Return

Post by STLADOGG »

Who leaves? Porter? Cracknell?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:Who leaves? Porter? Cracknell?
My pick would be DP. :grin:

But seriously, there's no way that 4th line can be broken up. They're riding some kind of wave right now.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Reaves does some time in the press box. I like Reaves as much as the next guy, but I think there's enough toughness on the team that you can take him out of the lineup in a playoff series where every goal, obviously, counts. Yeah, he brings energy to the game and to the crowd but be realistic. How much else does he really offer in terms of winning a playoff series, a two goal game against a crap team aside?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I think it's gotta be Reaves right now. Enforcers typically don't dress much anymore in the playoffs, even though he can skate well and has some offensive abilities. With defenses tightening up and offense at a premium in the playoffs...he's gotta sit.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Sit Oshie, look how well the team has been playing without him.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:Who leaves? Porter? Cracknell?
My pick would be DP. :grin:

But seriously, there's no way that 4th line can be broken up. They're riding some kind of wave right now.

Looks like it's Tank.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund