Countdown to Playoffs!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Countdown to Playoffs!

Post by cprice12 »

With San Jose and LA both losing tonight, we now control our own destiny for 4th place. If we win out, we finish 4th.
Someone needs to tell the NBC Sports guys this. They are acting like the winner of the SJ - LA game this weekend determines who finishes 4th, SJ or LA...that's just not the case if the Blues win their final 2.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

San Jose dropped their game tonight too- now we have one game in hand and are only one point behind both San Jose and LA. How big did Thursday's game against Calgary just become?

Plus: San Jose and LA each have one game remaining-- Saturday, against each other.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Fun stuff. Gotta beat those flamers.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

I don't know. After losing what, the last 7-8(?) games against the Kings, I would do anything not to face them at all this post season. Sure, home-ice is big, but I won't count for anything if we'll end up meeting the Kings. Call me pessimistic, but the Kings are in our heads. I'd much rather play the Canucks.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Blues Clinching Options (Locked in!!!)
8th Place : UNPOSSIBLE
7th Place : Clinched!
6th Place : Oilers BEAT Wild
5th Place : Blues WIN
4th Place : Not yet (Win Out)
3-1 : UNPOSSIBLE

First Round Opponent Possibility (Entering 4/25/13)

ANA - 5.266%
LA - 51.835%
VAN - 15.587%
SJ - 26.911%

Elimination Possibility
If the Blues LOSE no chance at 4th place.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

If we win, we automatically get 4th or 5th? I thought I came up with a scenario in which we win tonight, but still get 6th, but I might not understand the tiebreakers.

Let's say we win tonight and lose in regulation on Saturday (58 points).

Sharks beat LA in OT/SO (SJ-59 points, LA-58 points).

LA has more ROW than us. Wouldn't that give them the 5 seed and us the 6?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cardsfan04 wrote:If we win, we automatically get 4th or 5th? I thought I came up with a scenario in which we win tonight, but still get 6th, but I might not understand the tiebreakers.

Let's say we win tonight and lose in regulation on Saturday (58 points).

Sharks beat LA in OT/SO (SJ-59 points, LA-58 points).

LA has more ROW than us. Wouldn't that give them the 5 seed and us the 6?
The Sharks have only lost 2 games in regulation at home all year. I want the 4th.
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Today's action (25 Apr):

Nashville @ Detroit: The Wings are currently in the 8th spot, but it's far from locked in. After Nashville tonight, they play Dallas on Saturday. Columbus has Dallas tonight and Nashville Saturday. So the two teams battling it out for the last playoff spot play the same two teams in their last 2 games of the season. Taking into account LA and San Jose playing each other on Saturday, I am convinced the schedulers for this year were freakin' psychic. Craziness.

Calgary @ St. Louis: Blues are one point back of both the Kings and Sharks. As neither of those teams play tonight, this is our chance to jump over them both and into the 4th seed, putting the pressure on them to try and earn it back. The Kings and Sharks play each other on Saturday, so one of them is going to get 2 points out of it, and if it goes to OT, the loser will also get a point, so it's imperative the Blues get these two points tonight (then do our damndest against Chicago). The 4th, 5th, and 6th spots are still very much up for grabs among us, LA, and San Jose.

Columbus @ Dallas: Both Columbus and Dallas really need this game to keep their playoff hopes alive. Columbus has a much better chance, though, as they are only 1 point behind DET for the 8th spot. Dallas is 4 points back from the 8th seed. Sorry Dallas.

Anaheim @ Vancouver: No impact from this game. Anaheim is locked into 2nd in the West, Vancouver locked into 3rd as the top team in their division.

I love it.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Is it wrong to really want LA in the first round so we can stick it to them for knocking us out last year?
I know they have our number, but we have bolstered our defense with Leopold and Bouwmeester since the last time we saw them...and our goaltending has been stellar as well.
I'd also really love to see Dustin Brown on the losing end of the handshake at the end of a Blues-Kings series. He's such a douche.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cprice12 wrote:Is it wrong to really want LA in the first round so we can stick it to them for knocking us out last year?
I know they have our number, but we have bolstered our defense with Leopold and Bouwmeester since the last time we saw them...and our goaltending has been stellar as well.
I'd also really love to see Dustin Brown on the losing end of the handshake at the end of a Blues-Kings series. He's such a douche.
I don't think the Kings are quite as intimidating as last year. Quick was a freakin' animal down the stretch and in the playoffs last year, but this year is different. Not that the Kings are playing poorly, but there's just not that same aura this time. I honestly don't care who we play in Round 1 as long as we don't try to win by scoring only 1 goal per game.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'd like to see the Canucks-Sharks-Kings...in that order.

Fact remains that the Blues have to win 16 games to win the Cup regardless of who they play. So whichever team we draw in the 1st round, they're an obstacle and they have to be beat. If it's the Kings, so be it. They've dominated us, but that doesn't mean we can't turn the tide at the right time like they did against us last year.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

I'm just sad that half or more of you faries won't see the end of half of the games in the first round since we will be going west.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

sseagle wrote:I'm just sad that half or more of you faries won't see the end of half of the games in the first round since we will be going west.
I for one am happy, my work closes at 10PM
TW Tiger Woods TW

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

I I want 4 th sharks in 5 th. Kings be the lowest seed to advance to takeout the hawks then we beat the kings. Is that possible?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

tjk002 wrote:I I want 4 th sharks in 5 th. Kings be the lowest seed to advance to takeout the hawks then we beat the kings. Is that possible?
Yes, it is possible.

Worst Kings can finish is 6th.
Rd 1 Chi, Ana, Stl, and LA win.
Rd 2 Stl beats Ana, LA beats Chi.
Blues play Kings in Conference Finals.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I want the Kings. Regardless of whatever else happens in this postseason or how this season went for Chicago and Anaheim, Pittsburgh, etc... the Kings are still technically owners of the title "The Best" until they relinquish the cup. Getting the Kings, beating them, and moving forward would be a gigantic leap over a major psychological hurdle for this team. If they get the Kings and lose then I'll revisit my wish for that particular first round matchup.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:I want the Kings. Regardless of whatever else happens in this postseason or how this season went for Chicago and Anaheim, Pittsburgh, etc... the Kings are still technically owners of the title "The Best" until they relinquish the cup. Getting the Kings, beating them, and moving forward would be a gigantic leap over a major psychological hurdle for this team. If they get the Kings and lose then I'll revisit my wish for that particular first round matchup.
Have we ever eliminated a Cup champion?

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

sseagle wrote:I'm just sad that half or more of you faries won't see the end of half of the games in the first round since we will be going west.
Hooray for living in Oregon!

:lol:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I want the Kings. Regardless of whatever else happens in this postseason or how this season went for Chicago and Anaheim, Pittsburgh, etc... the Kings are still technically owners of the title "The Best" until they relinquish the cup. Getting the Kings, beating them, and moving forward would be a gigantic leap over a major psychological hurdle for this team. If they get the Kings and lose then I'll revisit my wish for that particular first round matchup.
Nope, never eliminated a defending Cup Champion, but have not played that many. Considering the Eastern Conference has won the Cup 29 years of the Blues 45 years in existence, it is not that odd.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

gaijin wrote:
No one has ever eliminated a cup champion.
TW Tiger Woods TW