The Masters 2013

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

The Masters 2013

Post by dmiles2186 »

Anybody else keeping track of what's going on?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: The Masters 2013

Post by DaDitka »

I watched Tiger through 15 yesterday, that's about it.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not really a big golf fan, but I try to keep up with the Masters somewhat.

-penalty on Guan seems a bit unnecessary (although I haven't seen how slowly he was playing)
-Tiger's 15th hole is really bizarre all the way around. Somehow hits the pole square on so it bounces into the water which is pretty incredible in itself. Then a TV viewer somehow has access to contacting the tournament officials to let them know about Tiger's illegal drop. But, after reviewing the video, they determine it was OK. However, Tiger admits to doing it improperly in an interview so they reverse their original decision. Bizarre is the only word I can think of to describe it.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

That's a whole load of motherkcufing shit that Tiger wasn't DQ'ed. The only reason he wasn't is because he's Tiger. If he was anyone else they would have followed the rule to the letter. He even admitted that he dropped further back because it was a better yardage for him. The asshole even cheats at golf. Serial cheater, indeed. Keep both eyes on him, Lindsay Vonn.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:That's a whole load of motherkcufing shit that Tiger wasn't DQ'ed. The only reason he wasn't is because he's Tiger. If he was anyone else they would have followed the rule to the letter. He even admitted that he dropped further back because it was a better yardage for him. The asshole even cheats at golf. Serial cheater, indeed. Keep both eyes on him, Lindsay Vonn.
You would approve of Lindsay Vonn's ex-husband, though. I had a good chuckle at this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... d/2081017/
What compelled an attentive, probably lonely television viewer to narc on Tiger Woods for taking an illegal drop during the second round of the Masters?

If the ex-husband of Tiger's girlfriend, Lindsey Vonn, can be believed, it was good ol' fashioned jealousy.

Here's what Thomas Vonn tweeted on Saturday, hours after his ex's new beau was assessed a two-stroke penalty that was first spotted by an alert golf fan watching on television:

"No problem Masters tournament happy to call in and help. You always have to keep an eye on those cheaters ;)"

The winking, smiley face lets you know he's joking. OR IS HE?

Well, he's obviously joking, but that's still a great line.

Lindsey and Thomas Vonn were married in 2007. With her husband serving as her coach and advisor, Lindsey became an Olympic and World Cup champion before the partnership dissolved in 2011. A divorce was finalized earlier this year.

"I honestly can't discuss anything," Thomas said when news of the divorce became public. "It's just a sad, sad situation. Out of respect for each other, we're not going to discuss it publicly."

Thankfully, amid the humorless hand-wringing about Tiger's penalty and the ethics of his decision to remain in the tournament, Thomas Vonn has given us a moment of levity.

Elin Nordegren has yet to comment on her outgoing call log from Friday.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Ha, that's great! It probably was Elle though I'm not sure how much she actually knows about golf other than how to swing a club.

Interesting that golf, as far as I know, is the only sport where spectators who may be thousands of miles from the actual event can have an impact on the outcome. I remember hearing of a golfer, I forget who, who went for a tap in and whiffed, then followed through the second time and sunk it. He was initially assessed just one stroke because it appeared that his whiff was one of those "oh shit how did I miss that?" frustration swings of the club. However, since he had apparently addressed the ball already, he should have been assessed two strokes. Some guy from across the country called in after seeing it on TV and they adjusted his score accordingly as a result.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Ha, that's great! It probably was Elle though I'm not sure how much she actually knows about golf other than how to swing a club.

Interesting that golf, as far as I know, is the only sport where spectators who may be thousands of miles from the actual event can have an impact on the outcome. I remember hearing of a golfer, I forget who, who went for a tap in and whiffed, then followed through the second time and sunk it. He was initially assessed just one stroke because it appeared that his whiff was one of those "oh shit how did I miss that?" frustration swings of the club. However, since he had apparently addressed the ball already, he should have been assessed two strokes. Some guy from across the country called in after seeing it on TV and they adjusted his score accordingly as a result.
I remember that story too. I believe it was at a Major tournament wasn't it? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. But I remember when that happened because it was the first time I had heard viewers could do that.

I enjoy watching Tiger win as much as anybody, but the media over coverage is beyond annoying. I get my Sports Illustrated in the mail the other day with the headline: "Three Non-Tiger Picks to Win the Masters." We're talking about a sport where the odds are stacked that you will not win, not to the fact that Tiger hasn't won a Major in 4-5 years. I find it ridiculous that every angle from every news outlet is about who will win if Tiger doesn't. The most annoying is ESPN where their headline will be 'Tiger Woods--45th at +1' and then in tinier text it reads who is in the lead.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Ha, that's great! It probably was Elle though I'm not sure how much she actually knows about golf other than how to swing a club.

I remember that story too. I believe it was at a Major tournament wasn't it? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. But I remember when that happened because it was the first time I had heard viewers could do that.

I enjoy watching Tiger win as much as anybody, but the media over coverage is beyond annoying. I get my Sports Illustrated in the mail the other day with the headline: "Three Non-Tiger Picks to Win the Masters." We're talking about a sport where the odds are stacked that you will not win, not to the fact that Tiger hasn't won a Major in 4-5 years. I find it ridiculous that every angle from every news outlet is about who will win if Tiger doesn't. The most annoying is ESPN where their headline will be 'Tiger Woods--45th at +1' and then in tinier text it reads who is in the lead.
Tomorrow morning all the headlines and top stories won't be about how Adam Scott won but about how Tiger Woods lost. It's the same story every time. win or lose, he always gets the main stories. The only thing going in Scott's favor is that he's the first Aussie to win a major so maybe he'll get a little more than just a secondary story.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

True. And I get from the media's perspective that Tiger sells papers, gets website hits, and drives rating. But my philosophy as a sports fan is that the winner is the main story. Years from now, no one will talk about how Tiger finished 4th or whatever it was, they'll talk about Adam Scott-2013 Master's champion. He made some HUGE putts and like you said, is the first Aussie to win it. I saw on Sportscenter that the lead was Scott, the 2nd story was Tiger and that's BS since Tiger was really a non-factor on Sunday.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Also, the constant 'Is Tiger Back?' columns and 'Tiger is back!' headlines are tiresome. He's back. He's won some tournaments. He finished in the top 10 of the first Major this year. He just hasn't won a major.