Bouwmeester to STL

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Bouwmeester to STL

Post by dmiles2186 »

Pierre Lebrun on the Twitterz:
Blues now have 9 d-men on their NHL roster. Ian Cole and Kris Russell will generate calls from other teams and 1 could move before deadline
No surprise there.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:I know history doesn't always suggest that we should trust Blues management, but I'd like to think the Blues wouldn't have acquired this much salary if they didn't have a plan. I don't know what the plan is, but Armie has done a great job here, so I don't think he would back himself into a corner.
I completely agree and I'm sure Armie has a plan....I'm just speculating as to what it may be (who's not part of it) ...that's the fun stuff us fans do and the reason discussion boards like this exist.

It's nice to get some actual back - and - forth around here and list to different views and opinions. :okman:

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

DaDitka wrote:It's nice to get some actual back - and - forth around here and list to different views and opinions. :okman:
:plusplus:

It's been pretty quiet overall since the summer/lockout. Definitely had more activity the last few days, which is nice.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I know history doesn't always suggest that we should trust Blues management, but I'd like to think the Blues wouldn't have acquired this much salary if they didn't have a plan. I don't know what the plan is, but Armie has done a great job here, so I don't think he would back himself into a corner.
This.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Something is definitely going to have to give if the Blues aren't hitting the cap.

I'll go down the list:

McDonald - He's been injured a lot, is hitting his mid-30s, and isn't as good as when he signed the last contract. I see him getting 2.5m tops from the Blues and most likely not being resigned. I'll say 3.3m for him just to see if it fits.

Stewart - Having a good season but I don't see him making more than Backes. 4.3m

Berglund - Won't make more than Stewart - 4.15m

Langenbrunner - gone.
Nichol - gone
Porter - 0.75m

Pietrangelo - 5.5m, I don't see there being a market to force his price to be higher.
Shattenkirk - 4.8m, same thing. Teams that would offer sheet to go higher are going to be having problems with the cap.
Leopold - 3.1m - slight raise is about all he'll get if he's resigned.

Russel - 2m tops if he even stays
Cole - 2m tops if he even stays. Only one of these two are likely to be back so I count 2m for both.
Redden - gone.

Add that with everyone else and it's 66m. Assume McDonald is gone and you're at 62.7m. There's a chance that with the lower salary cap players like Berglund/Stewart/Pie/Shatty won't get the kind of money previous players got.

So let's assume everyone is 20% less:
McDonald - gone
Stewart - 3.6m
Berglund - 3.4m
Langenbrunner - gone
Nichol - Gone
Porter -700k
Leopold - 3m
Russel/Cole - 1.8m
Pietrangelo - 4.8m
Shatty - 4m

If it works out like that - 56m payroll. So either someone is gonna be cut, we're gonna be real close ot the cap, or players are going to end up costing a lot less than we expected.
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Love it! Great work.

I don't think there is any chance that Andy Mac is back in any way.

The team has already stated the 22 and 27 will be back so the real speculation begins with 21 & 25....do we bring them both back?

Then, if we do......does that mean someone on a current sizable deal (3+ million) is gone via trade?

Obviously everyone knows I want Bergie back, and it's hard to not want Stewie back but how much do you trust him? I would love a two year deal, but would he be willing?

What about the fact that your #5 and #6 defensemen are making 6 million, is that palatable?

Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Jaykay »

Well since I don't have real insight in business like this, I'm more or less clueless :aaaa: I still want to throw in my thoughts:

Offense wins games, defence wins cups!

So, I really like the additions we made, IF everyone plays up to their expectations, we have a very massive D as I think. I much more like leopold and bowmeester than iginla who was it Morrow from Dallas moved to Pit?

As for next year, I don't know how things go under the new CBA, but that being said, the priority in the signings should be on the defence as well.

Damn right now I think the team we actually have should go pretty far, or am I completely wrong? ok goalie-situation isn't good right now
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:Pierre Lebrun on the Twitterz:
Blues now have 9 d-men on their NHL roster. Ian Cole and Kris Russell will generate calls from other teams and 1 could move before deadline
No surprise there.
Russell... whatever.

Cole? Are we really ready to "give up" on the guy yet? In my mind he's still a developing prospect and shouldn't be just tossed aside; especially when we could re-sign him this season on the cheap and see where his development goes the next few years for little money.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I think AMac will surprise a lot of people by taking a paycut to stay in the STL. Seriously, who else is going to want him at his age and who else is willing to give him a shot on a top line than us? At his age, we'd be lucky to get picks and he'd be lucky to rate any better on any other team than 3rd line. If AMac can stay healthy, he has the power of consistency and he's a sound player again, when he stays healthy. If we packaged him with Cole or Russell or someone and picked up a player, not picks for them, I'd be cool with that.

Halak needs to go. That's 4m right there and he's a definite injury case. If anything else, he's proven that any netminder we get will be able to rescue us by standing tall. Ells has done that and so has Allen. Are they better than Halak? Well, they show up first off, win lose or draw. Halak doesn't. The team plays strong in front of them, not Halak. And Halak can't stay healthy. Name another team who has or has had a starting netminder who was uprooted not once but twice by their backup and stay their starter. Sell high on him.

I wouldn't do it til after the season, but If I was Hitch I'd consider reassigning A's and the C as we go down the stretch. Unleash Backes and let him lead. He could suck for the rest of the year but if he can motivate these guys and get the best out of them, I'd be fine with him being Captain. Right now, I don't care how hard he hits, how hard he skates or how many sticks he can crush into sand with his hand from being so upset with the state of the team, that's really on him and he needs to man up, or step down. I really hope he stands up because he seems to be the kind of guy who deserves it moreso than many, but he ain't showing up.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
No surprise there.
Russell... whatever.

Cole? Are we really ready to "give up" on the guy yet? In my mind he's still a developing prospect and shouldn't be just tossed aside; especially when we could re-sign him this season on the cheap and see where his development goes the next few years for little money.
We package him with a second player and/or some picks and we get back a solid forward, will we really miss him?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oaklandblue wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
No surprise there.
Russell... whatever.

We package him with a second player and/or some picks and we get back a solid forward, will we really miss him?
Consider this - Leopold is a rental. He is a UFA after this season. Bouwmeester is signed for next season at 6.6. So.... is Cole really worth "giving up" on when Leopold can go wherever he wants for nothing?
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Don't forget we still have two compliance buyouts we can use this summer too, guess we will see how this all goes down this summer.

FYI I like the Bouwmeester deal! Welcome to the club!
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

APOD wrote:Don't forget we still have two compliance buyouts we can use this summer too, guess we will see how this all goes down this summer.
The only players we have that would qualify for those are Backes, Oshie, Perron, and Jackman. I think all four of them are tradeable. Besides, to qualify for the compliance buyout a player has to clear waivers, I doubt any of those four would.

But you are correct, all we can really do is sit back and see how it all goes down.....but it's still fun to speculate.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
No surprise there.
Russell... whatever.

Consider this - Leopold is a rental. He is a UFA after this season. Bouwmeester is signed for next season at 6.6. So.... is Cole really worth "giving up" on when Leopold can go wherever he wants for nothing?
Agreed and I would argue he's not. He probably won't cost much and quite honestly, I have very little to say about Cole this season; which, as a defenseman is about the best compliment you can give. He's not amazing, he has no "wow" factor in any way but he hasn't made repeated glaring mistakes either.

We could keep him for cheap(er) and he's still a young guy. I fail to see the downside here, especially, as you pointed out, Bouwmeester could be gone by 2014 and Leopold will be.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk