GDT #27: 3/16/13 > Blues vs Ducks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #27: 3/16/13 > Blues vs Ducks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by STLADOGG »

Oaklandblue wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:So where are all the people that were wanting to blow the team up two weeks ago? The people that said we were done and Hitch needed to go and we needed to trade everyone?

The last two games, the Blues look like themselves. And what I mean by that is they look like the team that put up 109 points last year. I said the exact same thing in the last GDT after they beat the Coyotes. But it holds true here, as well. They still are having too many turnovers in their own end that lead to quality chances, and in the case of last night's game, Anaheim's only goal. Nevertheless, there's a confidence that had seemed shaken during the rough stretch a few weeks back.

They're going to hit some more rough spots, that's just the nature of the sport. But they're still fighting and with half the season to go, they look like the team we all thought we were going to see when they started 6-1-0.
Bottom line is, no one expected this.

No one expected an unproven rookie to walk in and stand on his head.

No one expected a flake to suddenly play like the skilled forward he really is.

What we expected was a goaltending tandem that had been broken, a group of our best players out on injury and not having a return date on when any of them returning, consistent sloppy play and the losses to go with it.

At this point, the Captain of the team should be Jake Allen. He has brought confidence back to the Bluenote.

Everyone, including myself, felt we needed to get a veteran presence. And if things had continued as they were, and there were no indication that things would get better at that point, we'd still be losing, still be playing sloppy and still having major issues.

We make a goalie change and things suddenly turn around. We put out Halak and they ADMIT to leaving him out to dry.

Confidence is another word for trust. This team doesn't trust Halak and Elliott anymore, for whatever reason. Their time in the STL might be done.
And that's the bottom line...cause Oak land said so.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:And that's the bottom line...cause Oak land said so.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this GDT mis-numbered?

Edit: Yes, someone screwed up way back by doing 16 twice.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

STLADOGG wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:So where are all the people that were wanting to blow the team up two weeks ago? The people that said we were done and Hitch needed to go and we needed to trade everyone?

The last two games, the Blues look like themselves. And what I mean by that is they look like the team that put up 109 points last year. I said the exact same thing in the last GDT after they beat the Coyotes. But it holds true here, as well. They still are having too many turnovers in their own end that lead to quality chances, and in the case of last night's game, Anaheim's only goal. Nevertheless, there's a confidence that had seemed shaken during the rough stretch a few weeks back.

They're going to hit some more rough spots, that's just the nature of the sport. But they're still fighting and with half the season to go, they look like the team we all thought we were going to see when they started 6-1-0.

What we expected was a goaltending tandem that had been broken, a group of our best players out on injury and not having a return date on when any of them returning, consistent sloppy play and the losses to go with it.

At this point, the Captain of the team should be Jake Allen. He has brought confidence back to the Bluenote.

Everyone, including myself, felt we needed to get a veteran presence. And if things had continued as they were, and there were no indication that things would get better at that point, we'd still be losing, still be playing sloppy and still having major issues.

We make a goalie change and things suddenly turn around. We put out Halak and they ADMIT to leaving him out to dry.

Confidence is another word for trust. This team doesn't trust Halak and Elliott anymore, for whatever reason. Their time in the STL might be done.
And that's the bottom line...cause Oak land said so.
Aw, you made me blush :)
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

glen a richter wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this GDT mis-numbered?

Edit: Yes, someone screwed up way back by doing 16 twice.

thanks, now we retroactively lost the game... the NHL admits today that they missed 16 shots that the ducks took and 8 of them went in...
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Oaklandblue wrote:

I feel that's another knee-jerk reaction. Elliott maybe but not Halak.

It should be obvious beyond the need for clarification that goalies eb and flow, get hot and turn off. Allen is young, unproven, and riding a hot streak, which history with young goalies has shown us will probably come to an end. Halak is our #1, we're paying him like he's our number one, and all told, all things considered, his overall performance has been that of a number 1. Elliott was simply an astounding shock last year that even his most ardent optimists weren't expecting. Now, it's more like "he is who we thought he was." He was a low risk, low cost, potentially high reward signing that paid dividends. We can easily part with him if we think his confidence is shot and his time in the Note is over. Halak not so much.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:

I feel that's another knee-jerk reaction. Elliott maybe but not Halak.

It should be obvious beyond the need for clarification that goalies eb and flow, get hot and turn off. Allen is young, unproven, and riding a hot streak, which history with young goalies has shown us will probably come to an end. Halak is our #1, we're paying him like he's our number one, and all told, all things considered, his overall performance has been that of a number 1. Elliott was simply an astounding shock last year that even his most ardent optimists weren't expecting. Now, it's more like "he is who we thought he was." He was a low risk, low cost, potentially high reward signing that paid dividends. We can easily part with him if we think his confidence is shot and his time in the Note is over. Halak not so much.
Here's why I disagree: At what point has Halak been our #1 between the pipes?

The truth is we don't have a real starting goaltender. From what we've seen of Halak; last year he had to get bailed out by a surging Brian Elliott and cut the games played in half. If we had to run with Halak alone and say, a straight-up backup, would we have made the playoffs at all? Yes, he has a winning record last year, but that's a reflection of what, 30 games? 40? Half a season. If he had to play a full season or 3/4 of one alone, would the results have been the same? Would Halak have tanked? We won't ever know that because they both helped each others stats.

This year's the same thing; Halak does own a winning record, but Allen is doing this year what Elliott did last year. That to me doesn't speak well of a guy, Halak, who is supposed to be our starter. Plus, he's gotten injured at inopportune times (the playoffs where a sync'd tandem might have sank the Kings ship, and recently). 1A and 1B works better to describe Halak.

Halak is many things but he's not a #1. That's why I say what I do and, like everything else I say, it's simply my opinion.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:

Stone Cold Steve Austin says that, not the Rock lol.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I agree with Oakland. Halak has faltered when asked to be the exclusive #1. He gets injured at inopportune times because maybe he's not conditioning himself properly and he's twice now lost grip on what should have been an obvious #1 role. First he couldn't play the majority of the season because Elliott was doing as good or better on a regular basis and now he can't play the majority of the season because Allen is doing better on a regular basis.

The difference is no one expected Elliott to become the #1, but rather continue being 1B to Halak's 1A. I think everyone anticipated Allen becoming the #1 eventually, just not this soon. Halak may be paid like a #1 but he's the #2 in reality and that's it. As soon as his contract runs up he won't be re-signed.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Stone Cold Steve Austin says that, not the Rock lol.

Ah, balls. This is what happens when you haven't watched wrestling in 15 years.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Halak is at home in the East.

Western Conference hockey is not for him. He just never has seemed comfortable in Saint Louis.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm all for Allen playing over Halak, at least if he plays as he currently is. And, I'm in favor of him being the long term solution here instead of Halak. But, I'm surprised at everybody's overall view of Halak.

He obviously wasn't ever going to be the goalie that led Montreal to the ECF because that was an absurd, unsustainable hot streak. But, overall I think he's done a good job here. Last year he was outstanding, and I don't discredit him for losing some playing time to Elliott. I think that's more of a credit to Elliott's good play than a sign of Halak's lack of ability to lock down the number one role.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I seem to like Halak more then most around here, but none the less, it's evident that he has to be pushed, so now you have to have two good goaltenders in order to have one?

He's pretty pricey at 3.75 mill when you have to have a quality back up as well.

It will be pretty interesting to see where this goes. I was sold on him as the #1 late last year, but he's clearly ruined all of that already with this shortened season.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund