Trades & Speculations

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trades & Speculations

Post by cprice12 »

Had a dream last night we traded Backes for Nash straight up.

That was a sign to start this thread.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Trades & Speculations

Post by gaijin »

I don't think the Rangers part with Nash at this point.

Unless you're talking about Tyson Nash.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think he's talking about Johnny Nash Image
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Great! The Blues get raped by Edmonton again. :)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ESPN has a rumor that we could trade Stewart for a defenseman. My first reaction is to not trade him because he has been playing so well. However, he's a RFA probably due a pretty big raise. His value is about as high as it's going to get. And, he has a history of regressing after playing well for awhile. I'd like to think the current version of Stewart is here to stay, but I wouldn't fault the Blues for selling high on him.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:ESPN has a rumor that we could trade Stewart for a defenseman. My first reaction is to not trade him because he has been playing so well. However, he's a RFA probably due a pretty big raise. His value is about as high as it's going to get. And, he has a history of regressing after playing well for awhile. I'd like to think the current version of Stewart is here to stay, but I wouldn't fault the Blues for selling high on him.
That's always the dilemma. Buy low, sell high, and with Stewart's lackluster play in previous years, I could see trying to get maximum return for him now. On the other hand, his production is one of the reasons we're still in 4th place...

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

gaijin wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:ESPN has a rumor that we could trade Stewart for a defenseman. My first reaction is to not trade him because he has been playing so well. However, he's a RFA probably due a pretty big raise. His value is about as high as it's going to get. And, he has a history of regressing after playing well for awhile. I'd like to think the current version of Stewart is here to stay, but I wouldn't fault the Blues for selling high on him.
That's always the dilemma. Buy low, sell high, and with Stewart's lackluster play in previous years, I could see trying to get maximum return for him now. On the other hand, his production is one of the reasons we're still in 4th place...
Yeah, that's what makes it interesting. I definitely wouldn't trade him just for the sake of selling high. But, if there was a potentially good deal on the table, I might factor in his history of inconsistency when considering what we're losing.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Why have I started having nightmares with Jerome Iginla wearing the blue note?

Trading Stew right now with so much in the air would be outright suicide. One thing this year has been has been ridiculously unpredictable. Who'd have expected to have our season saved by Allen, Stew and a handful of others? Anyone who posted that 3 months ago would have been considered insane. Now?

Bad as this sounds, I hope we don't make a single trade. If we need to do anything, I'd rather us bring someone like Ty Rattie up and work on geling this team.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

ImageImage
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Yeah yeah. Everyone's going to Toronto...

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Suddenly the reason of why we have 20m in capspace and the front office isn't signing anyone makes perfect sense.

If anything, we have the best chance of keeping our team together when the cap changes.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I would say if the Blues trade Stewart (IF), that I would hope they'd wait for the offseason and get the full year out of him. I agree with another post above that it'd be suicidal to do it right now. He's an RFA; worst case scenario he wants way too much and we trade him for something then. Granted the return won't be as high but it's not like we're faced with the dilemma of keeping or trading him right now.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

gaijin wrote:Yeah yeah. Everyone's going to Toronto...
:plusplus: This, all day. I'll believe it when I see it.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Weren't Phil Housley and Al MacInnis RFA's when they were traded for each other? I'd say that deal worked out in our favor.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Ask yourself.....Are you comfortable giving Stewert a 4 years 22 million dollar deal?

Of course you're not, trade him now.

If the dude wins the scoring title and we when the cup, your still not comfortable doing that. Not only are you not comfortable doing that, but if you did it would also cost you two of the other RFA Petro, Shatty, and Bergie.

I know many here refuse to believe what the team tells us, but they have been quite clear that they are not going above the current salary level...they are not going to spend more then 55 mill.

You have to allocate that money accordingly, and be very very careful with each and every dollar.

The question here is "Would Stewart be willing to sign a two year 8 million dollar deal" if so, he could stick around....I just don't think he's going to be receptive of that idea. He's playing some great hockey and probably want's to cash in. Stranger things have happened and maybe he really wants to be here.....but Army has to get a pretty good feel on what Stewarts demands are going to be now.

Both JR and Strickland touched on the subject of trading Stewart last week and both suggested it's going to come down two how quickly Steen, MacD, Tank, and Oshie could get back. Well, after tomorrow night, everyone will be back but Oshie......I would expect the rumor mills to start turning in earnest.

Let me clarify....I would love to see everyone back next year (Pie, Shatty, Bergie, Stewart and everyone else that is already under contract) ....except Andy Mac, too expensive...but if that's going to happen and you're going to address your need for a left defensman you're looking at adding 5 - 10 million in payroll (minimum) and ownership has been adamant that that is not an option.

If you let Andy Mac walk, have Elliot claimed on waivers move Halak and his contract....that would free up some jack and you'd have nearly 28 mill to spend to get to the 52 million dollar level..BUT...you have to replace Andy, get a back up goaltender, and then you have to resign or replace the following list of FAs...Allen, Stewart, Bergie, Dags,Nichol, Porter, Pie, Shatty, Russel, Cole, and Redden.

That's 13 players out of 27 mill....you can't have many 4 - 6 million dollar year contracts contracts there.

Oh...and if you keep Halak, you've only got 12 to sign, but you'd have nearly 4 mill less to work with.

All I know is it's going to be interesting and my best guess is at least one 'name' won't be back.
Last edited by DaDitka on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Toronto :roll:

The goalie issue is the first to be solved. But what happens when Allen becomes human?
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:Ask yourself.....Are you comfortable giving Stewert a 4 years 22 million dollar deal?

Of course you're not, trade him now.

If the dude wins the scoring title and we when the cup, your still not comfortable doing that. Not only are you not comfortable doing that, but if you did it would also cost you two of the other RFA Petro, Shatty, and Bergie.

I know many here refuse to believe what the team tells us, but they have been quite clear that they are not going above the current salary level...they are not going to spend more then 55 mill.

You have to allocate that money accordingly, and be very very careful with each and every dollar.

The question here is "Would Stewart be willing to sign a two year 8 million dollar deal" if so, he could stick around....I just don't think he's going to be receptive of that idea. He's playing some great hockey and probably want's to cash in. Stranger things have happened and maybe he really wants to be here.....but Army has to get a pretty good feel on what Stewarts demands are going to be now.

Both JR and Strickland touched on the subject of trading Stewart last week and both suggested it's going to come down two how quickly Steen, MacD, Tank, and Oshie could get back. Well, after tomorrow night, everyone will be back but Oshie......I would expect the rumor mills to start turning in earnest.

Let me clarify....I would love to see everyone back next year (Pie, Shatty, Bergie, Stewart and everyone else that is already under contract) ....except Andy Mac, too expensive...but if that's going to happen and you're going to address your need for a left defensman you're looking at adding 5 - 10 million in payroll (minimum) and ownership has been adamant that that is not an option.

If you let Andy Mac walk, have Elliot claimed on waivers move Halak and his contract....that would free up some jack and you'd have nearly 28 mill to spend to get to the 52 million dollar level..BUT...you have to replace Andy, get a back up goaltender, and then you have to resign or replace the following list of FAs...Allen, Stewart, Bergie, Dags,Nichol, Porter, Pie, Shatty, Russel, Cole, and Redden.

That's 13 players out of 27 mill....you can't have many 4 - 6 million dollar year contracts contracts there.

Oh...and if you keep Halak, you've only got 12 to sign, but you'd have nearly 4 mill less to work with.

All I know is it's going to be interesting and my best guess is at least one 'name' won't be back.
I would say AMac is definitely gone but the Blues hang on to Halak. Who else do we have? Allen is young and unproven, if playing very well right now. So it's trade or sign a new #1 (not backup until Allen proves he's got it). Personally I think that might be more expensive and/or risky than just hanging onto Halak.

I know the dollars are what they are and there's only so far we can stretch them. In my mind, Shatty and Pietrangelo MUST be re-signed. Obviously for as good of a bargain as we can get but those two guys are #1 and #2 priorities. Forwards next.

edit: And after crunching some numbers I see what you mean and it's not looking so hot. Assuming we let go Amac, D'Agostini (not happy about it but I think we have to), Porter (unless he's a really low re-sign which is totally possible), Nichol, Langenbrunner, Redden, and Elliott, we're left with (counting the salaries the re-signed guys made this year) at:

$20.5 (roughly) million for: Berglund, Stewart, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Russell, Allen and Cole. So I got slightly different numbers than you got. Or, roughly $2.9 million per guy if we retained them all. Personally it wouldn't break my heart to see Russell go (even though he's probably the cheapest of all those guys) but you're right: Pietro and Shatty are going to command hefty contracts which drops the average that the other 5 can realistically expect to get from us, IF we don't spend anything additional. Looks like someone is going to walk/ get traded
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

WaukeeBlues wrote: I would say AMac is definitely gone but the Blues hang on to Halak. Who else do we have? Allen is young and unproven, if playing very well right now. So it's trade or sign a new #1 (not backup until Allen proves he's got it). Personally I think that might be more expensive and/or risky than just hanging onto Halak.

I know the dollars are what they are and there's only so far we can stretch them. In my mind, Shatty and Pietrangelo MUST be re-signed. Obviously for as good of a bargain as we can get but those two guys are #1 and #2 priorities. Forwards next.
I pretty much agree with you on Halak, Pie, Shatty...

So..let's conservativly throw out 11 mill for Pie(6.5) and Shatty (4.5) and knock Halak's 4 mill..

Now you've got 10 players and 12 mill....can we add that defenseman we're looking for and sign Bergie and Stewie? I just don't see how.

Furthermore.....they say they need a top 4 left defenseman. So we have Polak and Jacks signed and counting 6 mill combined, throw in 11 for Pie and Shatty....now you're at 17 mill in defense still needing to add 3 and you want one of them to be top 4?

For arguments sake say we fill two of those spots with 1 mill a year guys and we can nab that top 4 guy for 4 mill. That puts you defensive payroll 23 mill throw in Halak's 4 mill and figure a mill for Allen...we're at 28 mill.

You have 19 mill under contract in Backes, Oshie, DP, Steen, Vlady, Tank, Swartz, and Reeves.

That leaves around 5 - 6 mill.

Bring back a cheap Porter and replace Nichol with similar player - 1.5 mill

We have 1.25 mill in bonus money against the cap next year too

So your looking to replace Andy Mac, and resign or replace Bergie and Stewie with right about 3 mill which may not be enough to sign one let alone both.

I'm not crying 'the sky is falling at all' I just think it's going to be very fun to watch Army do his magic and see how he works this out.

Another question.....if the Blues in fact sell the Riverman, does that open up a little more flexibility at the NHL level?

Spending 55 mill is a lot different then 52 mill current project I was working off of....and out current payroll is 50.28 mill.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

God, this could go anywhichway, I think the better question at this point is WHAT could we possibly get if they go this route? Losing players is kind of part of any professional team, I'm more curious what (or rather who) we stand to gain for losing say, Halak, Stew, whoeverhaveyou.