GG Saints

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

GG Saints

Post by cardsfan04 »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77181 ... r-bounties

Quote from different article than link:
Here is a point-by-point list of the penalties:

The Saints are fined $500,000. In addition, because the violation involves a competitive rule, the Saints will forfeit their selections in the second round of the 2012 and 2013 NFL drafts.

Saints coach Sean Payton is suspended without pay for the 2012 NFL season, effective April 1.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis is suspended without pay for the first eight regular-season games of the 2012 season.

Former Saints (and current St. Louis Rams) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely from the NFL, effective immediately. Commissioner Goodell will review Williams’ status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him, and, if so, on what terms. Commissioner Goodell said he will give close attention to the extent to which Williams cooperates with the NFL in any further proceedings.

Saints assistant coach Joe Vitt is suspended without pay for the first six regular-season games of the 2012 season.

The Saints and the individuals disciplined today are expected to participate in efforts led by the league office to develop programs that will instruct players and coaches at all levels of the game on the need for respect for the game and those who participate in it, on principles of fair play, safety and sportsmanship, and to ensure that bounties will not be part of football at any level.
The league also said the involvement of players in the bounty program remain under investigation and Goodell will address possible discipline at a later date.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GG Saints

Post by DaDitka »

Yeah, if Payton got a year...they aren't letting Williams off with just a year.

They'll revisit it after this season...but they aren't going to lift it.

Fischer called a presser at 2:30 today.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think what's more likely to happen is that Payton appeals and gets less than a year and then Williams gets reinstated next offseason.

Either way, this is a mega-penalty for all involved.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The ironic Rams twist on this? You'd have to think that Steve Spagnuolo would have the inside track to being the Saints head coach for a year, seeing as he is now their D-coordinator.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:The ironic Rams twist on this? You'd have to think that Steve Spagnuolo would have the inside track to being the Saints head coach for a year, seeing as he is now their D-coordinator.
I think that had a lot to do with why they wanted him so bad. They knew this was coming....not to this extent.....but that Sean would miss some time.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Fast Lane talking about this being the start of a lifetime ban for Williams. My first reaction was that he would be back after the year. But, I could see how that would happen. Goodell dangles the possibility of returning to the NFL in front of him in exchange for information. Then, when he's of no use, he gets banned. I could see it playing out like that I guess. NFL doesn't need Williams, but they do need an end to bad PR on this topic. A lifetime ban goes a long way toward preventing it from happening in the future.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Fast Lane talking about this being the start of a lifetime ban for Williams. My first reaction was that he would be back after the year. But, I could see how that would happen. Goodell dangles the possibility of returning to the NFL in front of him in exchange for information. Then, when he's of no use, he gets banned. I could see it playing out like that I guess. NFL doesn't need Williams, but they do need an end to bad PR on this topic. A lifetime ban goes a long way toward preventing it from happening in the future.
You mentioned Fast Lane, so I turned that on just in time to hear Chris Duncan ask Skip Schumaker (of all people) if he were running the Rams, would he trade for Tebow?

As I rolled my eyes, Skip actually had a pretty decent answer, basically saying that Tebow brings a circus with him and that the first incomplete pass Bradford throws, people would start yelling for Tebow.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Fast Lane talking about this being the start of a lifetime ban for Williams. My first reaction was that he would be back after the year. But, I could see how that would happen. Goodell dangles the possibility of returning to the NFL in front of him in exchange for information. Then, when he's of no use, he gets banned. I could see it playing out like that I guess. NFL doesn't need Williams, but they do need an end to bad PR on this topic. A lifetime ban goes a long way toward preventing it from happening in the future.
You mentioned Fast Lane, so I turned that on just in time to hear Chris Duncan ask Skip Schumaker (of all people) if he were running the Rams, would he trade for Tebow?

As I rolled my eyes, Skip actually had a pretty decent answer, basically saying that Tebow brings a circus with him and that the first incomplete pass Bradford throws, people would start yelling for Tebow.
Yeah, if that's what comes with it, I don't want him. I'm with you guys about Bradford. How many times did a WR drop ball perfectly thrown on their hands? Everybody deals with drops, but he seemed to deal with an abnormally high amount of them while not having a legit playmaker to work with. And, that doesn't even get to the OLine issues. It's hard to say he had an up year, but how many people would be worried about him having a down year had there not been so many drops?

There were just so many things that went wrong for him that he couldn't control. He does need to have a solid year this year though IMO.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

lol, Warren Sapp called out Shockey as the snitch. So, Shockey is challenging him to a lie detector test on ESPN. Maybe Jerry Springer can be a guest anchor for the day.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

dmiles2186 wrote:

I just realized I up this rant in the Saints thread. Whoops. Oh well...hah.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

[youtube][/youtube]
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.