2017 Baseball Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

2017 Baseball Thread

Post by cardsfan04 »

We're about 2 weeks in now, so figure we could use a thread.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: 2017 Baseball Thread

Post by cardsfan04 »

I didn't want to bitch in first post of thread, but Matheny's gotta go. I mean, I don't necessarily blame him for Cards being 3-8. We have a mediocre team and that's a really small sample size. Rough stretches happen and players have to be better.

I do blame him for being a bonehead though. This could be a long list, but for now:

1. Adams isn't a LF. I can kinda get on board with the idea as a ST experiment or even as a regular season behind the scenes project. In theory, he should be a big bat, and if he could OPS .850 or something, sure, find a way to get him in the lineup. But, this isn't ST, this isn't behind the scenes, and he's not OPSing .850. He's a defensive liability that has been roughly league average at the plate for 3 years now.

2. Carlos Martinez has thrown 105+ pitches twice in first 3 starts. I love Martinez and don't mind stretching him out. But, the 6th inning of a game in April vs an AL team isn't when you need an extra inning from your ace. He wasn't sharp, hence why he threw so many pitches to get through 5. Let the bullpen finish the game instead of letting Martinez allow 2 more runs while he's out of gas.

3. 9th inning today. Jose Martinez' spot comes up. I'm not a Jose Martinez believer yet. If he's hitting well in June, I'll reevaluate. But, he is hitting well right now. Adams is not. Further, our 3 first basemen are Carp (in game at DH-can't play field) Martinez, and Adams. What does Matheny do? PH for Martinez and PR for Adams when he gets a hit. We now don't have a 1B in the game or eligible to come off the bench all so we could have an ice cold Adams PH for a red hot Martinez. Brilliant!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I agree with you. Even with the Cards playing better since you posted this, I've been off the Matheny train for quite some time. Guy is just too tight and tries to force things into existence instead of rolling with the more logical choice (i.e. Adams in LF when Jose Martinez was raking).

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Irish Blues
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Irish Blues »

Matt Adams: he's not our LF - but he may end up being Atlanta's LF.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1942 ... -cardinals
"You better get busy living, because dying's a pain in the ass." -- Frank Sinatra

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

This weekend was brutal. It somewhat felt like playing with house money, because I think we should have been out of it long ago. But, still, can't get swept by the Cubs in September with the season on the line.

StL_Dan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by StL_Dan »

cardsfan04 wrote:This weekend was brutal. It somewhat felt like playing with house money, because I think we should have been out of it long ago. But, still, can't get swept by the Cubs in September with the season on the line.
agreed

what a cluster

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

All of a sudden we're back in it. .5 behind brewers, 1.5 behind rockies. I'm gonna feel silly saying this, but only 5 behind the Cubs with games against them still. I won't get high on their WS chances if they sneak in, but it feels ~doable.

StL_Dan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by StL_Dan »

cardsfan04 wrote:All of a sudden we're back in it. .5 behind brewers, 1.5 behind rockies. I'm gonna feel silly saying this, but only 5 behind the Cubs with games against them still. I won't get high on their WS chances if they sneak in, but it feels ~doable.
Well.....shoot. The opportunity was there, but, let's be honest - we all know the team, as it's constructed right now, doesn't have the ability to play at a consistently high level against teams ahead of us.

I'm looking forward to an active off season by the front office.