What makes Ice 'bad' in one rink vs. another?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

What makes Ice 'bad' in one rink vs. another?

Post by Kerfuffle »

So my Blackhawks played Vancouver last night and Ryan Miller is in the media today saying that the ice at the Blackhawks rink was awful and several hawks players over the years have said it's one of the worst in the league. I haven't skated since 1979 so I tell people I can't skate which is true. But I've always wanted to know what would make the ice better or worse at one NHL rink vs. another. Every NHL rink has the same requirements for ice thickness and the ice is cleaned by the Zambonis. So what could cause ice to be better or worse? Is it due to a Zamboni not scraping enough or not putting down enough water on the new layer? When my mite kids play I noticed some of the rinks they are in the ice has large divots after the Zamboni goes over it and it seems to me it needs a 'second coat'. But I really don't know as I don't skate. Interested to hear what others think - thx!

evil roy
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: What makes Ice 'bad' in one rink vs. another?

Post by evil roy »

Bad ice is fairly easy to identify it will be hanging out on a street corner wearing a leather jacket and smoking a cigarette
Official 2018-19 LGB Sponsor of Patrick Maroon
Official 2017-18 LGB Sponsor of Robby Fabbri's ACL
Official 2016-17 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Official 2015-16 LGB sponsor of Alexander (There is no "I" in) Steen