Summer Olympics Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Summer Olympics Thread

Post by glen a richter »

AKA The Zika Games

Russian doping scandals, Marta Karolyi making bonehead decisions, swimmers probably coming out of the water with 50 eyes, this one's got the makings of a very interesting 16 days.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Summer Olympics Thread

Post by glen a richter »

Christ almighty I just watched the replay of the French gymnast who broke his leg on the dismount. Holy hell! :aaaa:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Katie Ledecky is (Franking) fast, holy shit.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I love the report on the North Korean weight lifter who apologized to Kim Jong Fukface for only taking silver and not gold. He better not plan on returning home or he'll be fed to the dogs. That country is beyond fucked up.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Reading the comment section on a Yahoo article about the 100 M breaststroke last night, amazing how many people are calling out Lilly King on poor sportsmanship. What the eff? Honestly, what the eff? She beats a confirmed two time drug cheat who weaseled her way into the games and she's being called out for bad sportsmanship? Screw the Russians! Efimova should never have been allowed to race.

Aside: I feel like how Robb_K must feel when he's the only one participating in the GDT's. Am I seriously the only one watching these Olympics?

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Toasted Oates wrote:Image

Phelps stole that facial expression from 95% of this board after they saw what the return was for Brian Elliott.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Also, congrats to the USA Women on the team gold. Third time in USA history, they ramble on about how this team was so good but if it wasn't for the '96 team no one in America would give a shit about women's gymnastics.

Really though, this team is really good.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

glen a richter wrote:
Toasted Oates wrote:Image

Phelps stole that facial expression from 95% of this board after they saw what the return was for Brian Elliott.
It was tough for the BFIH.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:Reading the comment section on a Yahoo article about the 100 M breaststroke last night, amazing how many people are calling out Lilly King on poor sportsmanship. What the eff? Honestly, what the eff? She beats a confirmed two time drug cheat who weaseled her way into the games and she's being called out for bad sportsmanship? Screw the Russians! Efimova should never have been allowed to race.

Aside: I feel like how Robb_K must feel when he's the only one participating in the GDT's. Am I seriously the only one watching these Olympics?
Dude, whats with the rah-rah shit. There are plenty of athletes from other countries who have cheated. For better or worse, Russians got singled out this time. Doesn't make them evil or worse cheats than other cheats. Lily King got called out for hostile behavior towards Efimova, which is against the Olympic spirit. Especially coming from someone who had yet to prove something. She has proved it now, and that's enough. No need for chest-puffery.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ComradeT wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Reading the comment section on a Yahoo article about the 100 M breaststroke last night, amazing how many people are calling out Lilly King on poor sportsmanship. What the eff? Honestly, what the eff? She beats a confirmed two time drug cheat who weaseled her way into the games and she's being called out for bad sportsmanship? Screw the Russians! Efimova should never have been allowed to race.

Dude, whats with the rah-rah shit. There are plenty of athletes from other countries who have cheated. For better or worse, Russians got singled out this time. Doesn't make them evil or worse cheats than other cheats. Lily King got called out for hostile behavior towards Efimova, which is against the Olympic spirit. Especially coming from someone who had yet to prove something. She has proved it now, and that's enough. No need for chest-puffery.
What did King really do that was so out of line though? She wagged her finger, called her out in an interview and stared her down. If this was prompted by something other than Efimova cheating (twice), I would probably feel differently. But, what's the problem with her calling out somebody for cheating?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

What did King really do that was so out of line though? She wagged her finger, called her out in an interview and stared her down. If this was prompted by something other than Efimova cheating (twice), I would probably feel differently. But, what's the problem with her calling out somebody for cheating?
It's not how you express that attitude, it's the attitude itself. Maybe it's just me but I think the whole "holier than thou" approach to things is bothersome to many. Hence the criticism. You think you're better than the cheat, beat him/her cleanly. No need for extracurricular stuff. Plus, from the sideline, this behavior makes her look like she's already preparing excuses in case she loses.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

It's not how you express that attitude, it's the attitude itself. Maybe it's just me but I think the whole "holier than thou" approach to things is bothersome to many. Hence the criticism. You think you're better than the cheat, beat him/her cleanly. No need for extracurricular stuff. Plus, from the sideline, this behavior makes her look like she's already preparing excuses in case she loses.

Fair enough. Maybe it's because King is from the US and I viewed it with that bias, but I didn't take it that way. I can definitely see how it would come across like that though. There is definitely something to be said for the "been there/done that, winning quietly" thing. That might have been better.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

You all know how much I freakin' hate soccer but honestly Hope Solo STFU. You're spouting about how Sweden is a bunch of cowards because they didn't want to play the style of game you wanted them to play and then pop off about how the better team lost. Well they're moving on and you're going home, so if you made the damn saves it wouldn't be a problem now would it? Who's really the better team?

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Aight, I get it. Glen is the equal opportunity gear grinder. :)

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by Hope's comments either. Reminded me of Jose Mourinho who is the sourest loser in the world. She is better than that. I wonder if this result is a testament to how much the former coach meant to the USWNT.

Going back to swimming, I can't believe the number of medals US swimmers have won. This is domination, all caps.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Katie Ledecky has a propeller attached to her ass. No other explanation.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I haven't heard the Hope Solo comments, but I'm struggling to think of a time that she said something that made me do anything other than roll my eyes. If she's complaining about the manner in which Sweden beat us, I'm sure this is no different.