NL adopting the DH?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

NL adopting the DH?

Post by glen a richter »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 48854.html

Just say no to this nonsense. If anything, the AL should abolish the DH. The designated hitter is literally the dumbest thing about baseball. If you don't want to play the field, don't play the game. And if your only job is to bat, you better be able to justify your existence by boasting the best OBP on the team.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: NL adopting the DH?

Post by cardsfan04 »

I used to hate this idea, but I've come around on it. There's nothing exciting about watching a pitcher pretend to care about hitting. I used to argue the strategy point because it certainly changes the strategy from the AL. Bill James made a good point awhile back though that swayed me on it. Is it really strategy if there's 1 correct move for situations and each manager does it almost exactly the same?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:I used to hate this idea, but I've come around on it. There's nothing exciting about watching a pitcher pretend to care about hitting. I used to argue the strategy point because it certainly changes the strategy from the AL. Bill James made a good point awhile back though that swayed me on it. Is it really strategy if there's 1 correct move for situations and each manager does it almost exactly the same?
But there is zero strategy if you have a DH? It's just change the pitcher when he is tired with no consequence to who hits when. In the NL, when the pitcher gets tired it impacts the hitting lineup dependent on when the pitcher gets tired which impacts the game. Same can't be said about the AL. In the NL, a manager might extend how long a pitcher goes due to the consequences to the hitting lineup. AL... no reason at all to extend. Don't agree with Bill James at all on that one.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

DH is for the minor leagues.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

I love it when a pitcher puts together a good AB:

Waino goes yard
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:I used to hate this idea, but I've come around on it. There's nothing exciting about watching a pitcher pretend to care about hitting. I used to argue the strategy point because it certainly changes the strategy from the AL. Bill James made a good point awhile back though that swayed me on it. Is it really strategy if there's 1 correct move for situations and each manager does it almost exactly the same?
We actually agree on something for once - how bout that? I too used to hate the DH but I actually like it now. I go to the toilet when the pitcher is up now. I can see the PA liking it too cause it means that guys that can no longer field can have more longevity by just being hitters.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
We actually agree on something for once - how bout that? I too used to hate the DH but I actually like it now. I go to the toilet when the pitcher is up now. I can see the PA liking it too cause it means that guys that can no longer field can have more longevity by just being hitters.
lol, when I saw you posted in here I was certainly not expecting you to have the same opinion as me. Now, if you'll just denounce the blackhawks, we might not be so far apart. 8)
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen