Baseball Offseason Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Baseball Offseason Thread

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I know the Cubs are young and somewhat unproven. But, before last year the talk was of how good their prospects were. Then, they hit the majors and produced. They need to show they can do it again, and sometimes young teams don't instantly play at a high level on a yearly basis. But, I don't have any reason to expect that they won't. They hinted at what their ceiling is last year, and it's really really high.

Because of that, I'm starting to rethink my desire to kneejerk into 2 major signings. We missed on our primary targets. Maybe we should more or less stand pat, reevaluate at the deadline, and avoid a move that we might regret just trying to keep up with the Cubs. We have 2 picks (from the Cubs at that). Maybe we should take a year, restock, and then make a big push again. We'll still be competitive, but maybe we don't need to go "all in" right now.
I think the Cubs are not only the team to beat in the NL Central, but the NL period. They have depth upon depth upon depth, talent and more talent, and flexibility with almost every player on the roster in terms of where they play in the field or in the lineup. Not to mention the best manager in the game (in my opinion).

I agree with you on what the Cards should do. They missed on their top two targets, no need to just spend money to spend it. This was a team that got by and somehow amazingly won 100 games with a lot of smoke and mirrors (and good pitching). To me, they're 3rd in the pecking order in the Central behind the Cubs and Pirates right now, mostly because there are too many if's to factor into their success (such as: if Piscotty, Grichuk, Wong, Wacha, Martinez, etc. makes leaps...). Try to get by this year, restock via trade and or signings, and try to load up for another 4-5 year run.

It comes to do the fact that the Cubs are armed and ready for battle the next few years. The Cardinals are playing catch up.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I know the Cubs are young and somewhat unproven. But, before last year the talk was of how good their prospects were. Then, they hit the majors and produced. They need to show they can do it again, and sometimes young teams don't instantly play at a high level on a yearly basis. But, I don't have any reason to expect that they won't. They hinted at what their ceiling is last year, and it's really really high.

Because of that, I'm starting to rethink my desire to kneejerk into 2 major signings. We missed on our primary targets. Maybe we should more or less stand pat, reevaluate at the deadline, and avoid a move that we might regret just trying to keep up with the Cubs. We have 2 picks (from the Cubs at that). Maybe we should take a year, restock, and then make a big push again. We'll still be competitive, but maybe we don't need to go "all in" right now.
I think the Cubs are not only the team to beat in the NL Central, but the NL period. They have depth upon depth upon depth, talent and more talent, and flexibility with almost every player on the roster in terms of where they play in the field or in the lineup. Not to mention the best manager in the game (in my opinion).

I agree with you on what the Cards should do. They missed on their top two targets, no need to just spend money to spend it. This was a team that got by and somehow amazingly won 100 games with a lot of smoke and mirrors (and good pitching). To me, they're 3rd in the pecking order in the Central behind the Cubs and Pirates right now, mostly because there are too many if's to factor into their success (such as: if Piscotty, Grichuk, Wong, Wacha, Martinez, etc. makes leaps...). Try to get by this year, restock via trade and or signings, and try to load up for another 4-5 year run.

It comes to do the fact that the Cubs are armed and ready for battle the next few years. The Cardinals are playing catch up.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Cubs have the best manager in the game plus an endless supply of young talent. Writing them off is foolish, at best.

Also, I'm calling it now: Aroldis Chapman crumbles in the NY limelight. I've seen too many big names come to town and flop like a fish out of water--Jack McDowell, Terry Mulholland, Kenny Rogers multiple times, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano... Chapman will be no different. He'll pitch to the tune of a 3 ERA, if he pitches at all, and lose the closer role to Andrew Miller before long.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024