Smart Phone Apps...what do YOU use?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smart Phone Apps...what do YOU use?

Post by cprice12 »

So... what apps do you guys use?

Here is a handful of apps I find quite useful on Android:

- 1Weather (I've tried a bunch of other weather apps...my two favorite are Accuweather and 1Weather)

- At Bat - MLB app to listen to any MLB game...with subscription. I use this a lot when I am away from a radio and the Cardinals are playing...or if it's late in the season, I'll listen to the other teams in the pennant race.

- Beyond Pod - Podcast player

- Box - Cloud storage

- Calls Blacklist PRO - This is a nice app that blocks any number you put into it...so telemarketers or robo callers won't bug you. It gives you a little notification when it has blocked something and you can check the log to see the number.

- Google Camera - Great camera. Simple, quick...and comes with Photosphere, which is just cool.

- Cardboard - Virtual reality on your phone...but you need a google cardboard viewer to put your phone in...and you can get them on Amazon or ebay for pretty cheap.

- CCleaner - Just installed this the other day...I like it. Clean, simple. I like the desktop version...and this looks nice.

- Chromecast - Blast stuff from your phone to a tv with an HDMI chromecast dongle.

- Clean Master - Phone cleaner...it's nice.

- DirecTV - Works well. Love being able to control my DVR remotely to record shows.

- EasyTether Pro - Use your phone as a modem for a PC.

- Evernote - Note taking app.

- Fit - Nice app to see how active you are.

- Flashlight - I use this every single day.

- Flixter - Would be nicer without the ads...but still nice.

- Gas Guru - Fantastic gas price app.

- Goggles - A must have. Scans QR & bar codes and will identify things taken in photos.

- Golf Pad - One of the best golf scorekeeping apps.

- Greenify - Nice app to shut down any and all apps you designate, all with one button click.

- Hangouts - Great texting and video chatting app. Everyone should use this. Made by Google.

- Heads-up - Give you pop up notifications for apps you designate to do so...and the look and feel is customizable. If you haven't tried this...you need to. It's fantastic.

- Hybrid Stopwatch - Slick timer and stopwatch.

- IMDB - Just good stuff here.

- Imgur - My daily time killing app.

- Keep - Great app for quick notes.

- Mileage - Tracks your MPG and fillup stats. Compiles them as you go. Neat to see how gas prices fluctuate over time.

- My Tracks - Tracks where you go, how many calories you burn and other stuff.
- Nova Launcher Prime - My favorite launcher...by far. It's the first thing I install on a new phone.

- Out Loud - When you have your headphones plugged in or you are liked via bluetooth to a speaker, it will read your text messages. This is fantastic when I am listenign to music while cutting the grass or in the car. I don't have to fumble with stopping the riding mower and trying to read the phone in the sun...it just pauses the music and reads the text to me through the headphones. Hugely convenient.

- Redbox - Search redbox's from my phone? Yes please.

- Rewards - Free money for filling out quick surveys...goes right into your play account to spend on apps or music. I have literally earned over $30 so far.

- SeatGeek - They have a great app. Well done.

- Shush - Another one I highly recommend. When you mute your phone using the volume buttons, it will prompt you how long you wish the volume to be muted. You set the time and after it is up it will put the volume back to the level it was before. Great for movie theaters or when you are in a restaurant, etc.

- Slack - Very nice texting app.

- Snapseed - The best smart phone photo editor...imo.

- Tapatalk - You can use it to view the letsgoblues.com forums on your phone!

- TeamViewer - Control your computer remotely using your phone. I have used this a number of times...very handy.

- The Score - I like this sports scores app better than any other I have tried.

- Timeriffic - Great phone manager...a must have for me. You can tell your phone at what time of day to turn WIFI on/off, GPS on/off, when to adjust the volume levels, screen brightness, etc. All automatically.

- Trigger - I use this to program NFC tags...but you can also set it up to have your phone do a bunch of different automated tasks...triggered by NFC tags or other things.

- Waze - Find out where cops are, road hazards, accidents, etc. Has turn by turn directions too...like Google Maps. It likely uses Google Maps as a base. Great to have on road trips.

- Wunderlist - The best to-do list.

- Zello - Walkie Talkie app. This thing works very well.

- Zemna Applist Backup - A nice thing to have before and after you reformat a phone. It saves a list of your installed apps and it gives you a link right to the app to reinstall it after your phone has been reformatted and restored to factory condition.

That was way more typing than I had planned on doing. :lol:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Smart Phone Apps...what do YOU use?

Post by glen a richter »

I've been playing this game called BrainWars. I feel like I've been losing a step or twenty with regards to my memory and whatnot and this game is helping me stay somewhat sharp.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I'll add a few Android apps I use:

Pushbullet - great for sending stuff back and forth from your phone to your computer. It also works like an RSS feed and sends me notices for new strips from xkcd, The Oatmeal, etc.

Power toggles - I think a lot of smart phones have this built into the skin, but I have a Nexus, and it doesn't have anything like this.

Astro File Manager - very handy for browsing the files and folders on your phone.

Camera ZOOM - The stock camera app on my phone kept crashing, so I got this one instead, and it has been reliable and has more features.

Clash of Clans - my 7-year-old is addicted to it too.

Dropbox - use it a lot for work.

FiveStars - several local restaurants I go to use this as a rewards system - get points for free appetizers and coupons and stuff.

GuitarTuna - good free guitar tuner.

Trimble Outdoors Navigator & Every Trail Pro - good for hiking and 4-wheeling maps and tracking.

Nextdoor - great for following what's going on in my neighborhood.

Our Sungevity - lets me check my solar panel production.

PokerStars - good time waster

Torque - very useful in the car, can create a virtual dashboard, read codes, etc.

Woot Check - keep track of deals on Woot.com

Wi-Fi Analytics - useful for checking wifi signal strength, etc.

Google Sky Map - awesome for looking at the night sky and seeing what all the constellations are.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

big d note wrote:I'll add a few Android apps I use:

Astro File Manager - very handy for browsing the files and folders on your phone.
As long as you don't get hacked by the Cardinals...

(Yeah, I couldn't help myself). :mrgreen:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Spotify, TuneIn Radio, MapMyRun, Facebook, Twitter, Timehop, Instagram, At Bat, The Score, Yahoo Fantasy/ESPN Fantasy Baseball, Google Maps.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DunkinDonuts/Starbucks
ESPN/Yahoo fantasy
Untappd - tracks beers that you try, makes recommendations based on how you rate beers.
SleepBot - alarm clock that supposedly monitors your sleep. I just use the alarm.
MLB At Bat
WatchESPN
Weather Channel
Twitter
Fitbit
Clash of Clans - I need an intervention
Stubhub/SeatGeek
DraftKings
DoubleTwist- converts itunes purchases to android phones
Waze
Shazam
St. Louis Taxi
Facebook
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Sing! (yes, I'm kind of a karaoke superstar)
Tabs (Ultimate Guitar)
Line
Facebook
MLB At Bat
BTS (Beat the Streak MLB app)
Chrome Browser
Twitter
YouTube
Words with Friends
Spotify
PS Express (Photoshop App)

I have way more but those are my most frequently used. Now that I've had a chance to actually review my apps I'm realizing I have a lot of crap on there that probably doesn't need to be. :lol:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, Slots Pharoah's Way (need to get over this one) Roku, Canon EOS Remote - transfer photos from my camera, operate camera with my phone, Gmail, Facebook Messenger, Photoshop Express, Snapseed (photo editing) Google Maps.