The Book Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

The Book Thread

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't read as much as I used to, but just finished Gone Girl a few days ago. It was fantastic.

Read anything good lately? Or not lately?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: The Book Thread

Post by abc789987 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I don't read as much as I used to, but just finished Gone Girl a few days ago. It was fantastic.

Read anything good lately? Or not lately?
My wife reads a lot.... Me not so much lol... Reading is hard.

She did read Gone Girl and made me go watch the movie. It was entertaining... Not sure I'll read the book, probably would like it...

The 1st game of Thrones book was the last thing I've read. It was really good...

Before that I read the Hunger game books. Those were a pretty easy read and I enjoyed them....

I'm always trying to read more... but it's really hard for me to concentrate... Occasionally I'll get hyper focused and be able to read non-stop but that doesn't happen much...

I did actually start re-reading The Pale Blue Dot last night again.... I love this part.
[youtube][/youtube]
Even reading that part calms me and gives me chills.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm kinda the same with reading. I enjoy it, but struggle to focus until I'm hooked. I started Gone Girl the day after Christmas, but only read like 100 pages by February 1 or so. Then I read the last 300 pages in a week or so.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

LOL..for fun I started reading Gilligan, Maynard, and Me. It's the autobiography of Gilligan, Bob Denver.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Do you know what I enjoy about the movie versions of books?

No reading.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:Do you know what I enjoy about the movie versions of books?

No reading.
LOL

I almost always like the book better than the movie version though. There are certain things that an author can explain in a book that can't be shown in a movie very easily.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I rarely find time to read anymore. Last book I finished was Catching Fire. Last book I started was Mockingjay... 2 years ago. Ideally, I'll finish it before the last movie in the series. Realistically, I'll never finish it. Someone told me what happens so I'm not really motivated to read the last 100 pages or so. I have tried to read books that some of my favorite movies are based on. I read Forrest Gump a few years ago, that was a weird read for sure. It's written entirely as if it was written by Forrest himself, so it's pretty much like reading as an idiot talking. My next reading goal is the book The Shawshank Redemption is based on, I think it's called Rita Hayworth and the Shawkshank Redemption.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:I rarely find time to read anymore. Last book I finished was Catching Fire. Last book I started was Mockingjay... 2 years ago. Ideally, I'll finish it before the last movie in the series. Realistically, I'll never finish it. Someone told me what happens so I'm not really motivated to read the last 100 pages or so. I have tried to read books that some of my favorite movies are based on. I read Forrest Gump a few years ago, that was a weird read for sure. It's written entirely as if it was written by Forrest himself, so it's pretty much like reading as an idiot talking. My next reading goal is the book The Shawshank Redemption is based on, I think it's called Rita Hayworth and the Shawkshank Redemption.
That's on my list. I've never read Steven King, but I think I would like him. I wanna say Shawshank is part of a series or something, but not sure.

I've read all of the Hunger Games books and the third is easily the worst. I pushed through it, but whenever a book requires you "push through" there's a problem. I thought it got kinda sappy/girl-power-y.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I rarely find time to read anymore. Last book I finished was Catching Fire. Last book I started was Mockingjay... 2 years ago. Ideally, I'll finish it before the last movie in the series. Realistically, I'll never finish it. Someone told me what happens so I'm not really motivated to read the last 100 pages or so. I have tried to read books that some of my favorite movies are based on. I read Forrest Gump a few years ago, that was a weird read for sure. It's written entirely as if it was written by Forrest himself, so it's pretty much like reading as an idiot talking. My next reading goal is the book The Shawshank Redemption is based on, I think it's called Rita Hayworth and the Shawkshank Redemption.
That's on my list. I've never read Steven King, but I think I would like him. I wanna say Shawshank is part of a series or something, but not sure.

I've read all of the Hunger Games books and the third is easily the worst. I pushed through it, but whenever a book requires you "push through" there's a problem. I thought it got kinda sappy/girl-power-y.
I bought the Hunger Games trilogy to prepare for a flight to Las Vegas. Read book 1 on the way there, read book 2 on the way back. Slogged through half of Mockingjay over a period of probably 5 or 6 months and just gave up. I was especially pissed about what happens to Prim. It kind of makes the rest of the series pointless. She could have just done the games herself, died the first night in the arena, story over.

I've read some King. I bought 4 past Midnight, which includes the story The Langoliers is based on, my first day of college back in 1999 so I'd have something to do between classes. I still haven't finished it. But Shawshank is my favorite non-sports movie so I'd really love to read the book. Field Of Dreams, my favorite sports movie, is also based on a book, I think.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I write so I read quite a bit. Some of my personal favorites include:

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
The Boyfriend School by Sarah Bird
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (I like the Chronicles of Amber, but to me LOL is THE Zelazny book to read)
Mort by Sir Terry Pratchett
The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (I'm not big on Pern. Sorry.)
Anything written by Richard Stark (Westlake alias, along with several others)
The Hot Rock by Donald Westlake
The Wrecking Crew by Donald Hamilton
The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Callahan's Lady and Lady Slings The Booze by Spider Robinson
Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson
Shogun by James Clavell

And so on and so forth.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Never read Breakfast at Tiffany's, but loved the movie. Audrey Hepburn is easily my favorite actress of all time.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I don't read all that often but when I get into a book, I just chew right through it. Last one that I read was 'These Guys Have All The Fun," which is the complete oral history of ESPN. It's about 1000 pages or so. I also have the SNL book by the same author, same concept: oral history, about 1000 pages. Haven't started that yet.

I do read a lot of sports related books, because I'm boring like that. But one I really want to read is Jonah Keri's book on the history of the Montreal Expos.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Oaklandblue wrote: Shogun by James Clavell

And so on and so forth.
That's an amazing one, remember reading that in my teens, and really got captivated. Have you read Taipan from the same guy?
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Fradi wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote: Shogun by James Clavell

And so on and so forth.
That's an amazing one, remember reading that in my teens, and really got captivated. Have you read Taipan from the same guy?
Oh God, yes. I've read and own the entire Asian Saga, from King Rat all the way down. I literally had to hunt down hardcover copies because at the time I was reading through the 'series', they were hard to get and I rarely buy hardcovers. Each book has it's own set of strengths unique to themselves. You can read say, Tai-Pan and Shogun and even though on a timeline and some of the characters are related or descended from one another, it's a different story, a different situation and a very different outcome, even though Clavell had this romantic streak in him.

While I tend to pick the book over any movie made, with some exception, I really wish they gave Tai-Pan the justice of a solid film production as they did Shogun. Casting was perfect for Tai-Pan in my eyes, everything else, however...horrible :(.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Clavell basically built a whole universe, always wondered how/why the film industry didn't pick up on it more than what we got. And yea, Taipan could have been a lot better, by the end it completely ruined what the book built up.

Staying with classics, anyone read the Count of Monte Christo? I seriously believe that's one of the best books ever written.
Now pondering picking up Ulyssis again, failed miserably to advance through page 50 at first attempt :lol:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Fradi wrote:Clavell basically built a whole universe, always wondered how/why the film industry didn't pick up on it more than what we got. And yea, Taipan could have been a lot better, by the end it completely ruined what the book built up.

Staying with classics, anyone read the Count of Monte Christo? I seriously believe that's one of the best books ever written.
Now pondering picking up Ulyssis again, failed miserably to advance through page 50 at first attempt :lol:
Read and liked all of the Dumas books, more the D'artagnan books than the others. For some reason I keep laughing when I think of Dantes masqueading as Sinbad. I keep imagining the comedian for some reason 8) .

Ulysses you really have to be in the mood and mindset to read. It's like reading Ivanhoe or Lord Jim, at least to me. If you're not totally vested to -finishing- the book before opening the cover, not just reading it, you'll never finish it.

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Read and liked all of the Dumas books, more the D'artagnan books than the others. For some reason I keep laughing when I think of Dantes masqueading as Sinbad. I keep imagining the comedian for some reason 8) .

Ulysses you really have to be in the mood and mindset to read. It's like reading Ivanhoe or Lord Jim, at least to me. If you're not totally vested to -finishing- the book before opening the cover, not just reading it, you'll never finish it.

Yea, it's really a heavy one, maybe I'll just wait until I'm in my thirties and more of an intelligent, grown up guy and take an intellectual shot at it :D

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I read Shogun a few years ago and just loved it. I found a bunch more Clavell paperbacks at a book sale and grabbed them up, but I haven't dove into them yet. Is Taipan the best one to read next?

I'm currently rereading C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy, which is awesome. Check it out if you like fantasy novels. I wish Patrick Rothfuss would release the next book in the Kingkiller Chronicles already!
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

big d note wrote:I read Shogun a few years ago and just loved it. I found a bunch more Clavell paperbacks at a book sale and grabbed them up, but I haven't dove into them yet. Is Taipan the best one to read next?
I'd say yes, it's somewhat similar in terms of backround, however the story goes a different way. Might help to better understand his other books after that.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Anger of the Guns? Anybody?