Fantasy Baseball?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Fantasy Baseball?

Post by dmiles2186 »

It's a ways off yet, but I'm wanting to gauge and see if anyone is interested in a serious fantasy baseball league w/ keepers? I'd like to do it through ESPN if possible, and I'm currently in a hockey league w/ fantasy football type scoring (Curt's league) and I really like that. I think that could add a lot as long as it's possible through a service. If not, it's fine. I know we've had baseball leagues on here in the past but if we could get 10-12 teams w/ dedicated owners to try a year in, year out league, I think that would be awesome.

Any takers?

This is the type of scoring I was referring to:
Season Points: Season Points scoring allows you to assign a given point value to each individual statistical category (i.e. HR=4, RBI=1, etc.) Standings are based on the accumulation of points covering all statistical categories and combined into one total points column. The team with the most overall points wins.
Also, this doesn't have to be a board specific league. If you have friends, family, or co-workers who would want to be in on this, that works.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Fantasy Baseball?

Post by cardsfan04 »

Consider me a soft commit. I like fantasy sports, but I sometimes lose interest in fantasy baseball over a season. I played on DK a lot last year though which kept my attention up with my season long team. I guess that's a lot of words to say maybe.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Consider me a soft commit. I like fantasy sports, but I sometimes lose interest in fantasy baseball over a season. I played on DK a lot last year though which kept my attention up with my season long team. I guess that's a lot of words to say maybe.
I'm the same way. It's such a long season and a day-to-day commitment. But the thing I like about that scoring is since it's all based on points instead of categories, it seems to make it more enjoyable watching the back and forth on a daily basis. The hockey league I mentioned has flown by. I feel much more engaged because the scoring is in a format I like more than just basic category scoring. Just a thought. If no one wants to do it, no worries.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I had two teams last year and then in mid-May when the bambino was born, my focus understandably left fantasy baseball for the rest of the season. Ignoring both teams from May through the end of the year I still managed to eke out 4th place in both leagues. I'm not sure if I'm up for paying attention to a full season quite yet. I'll consider it, though.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Consider me a soft commit. I like fantasy sports, but I sometimes lose interest in fantasy baseball over a season. I played on DK a lot last year though which kept my attention up with my season long team. I guess that's a lot of words to say maybe.
I'm the same way. It's such a long season and a day-to-day commitment. But the thing I like about that scoring is since it's all based on points instead of categories, it seems to make it more enjoyable watching the back and forth on a daily basis. The hockey league I mentioned has flown by. I feel much more engaged because the scoring is in a format I like more than just basic category scoring. Just a thought. If no one wants to do it, no worries.
I've been running our fantasy hockey league since 2001. We've gone through a few of different sites (sandbox, yahoo, espn) and a number of different scoring configurations. The one we have now is by far the best I think. I don't see us switching from this for a while. We've had it for a three or four years now. I like it a lot. Especially the free agent pickups...you silently bid and the highest bidder gets him the next morning.
And yeah it's not about winning categories it's head to head but it's point based. We also have a set number of starts per week for forwards, defense and goaltending and a set number of pickups during each head to head matchup to prevent guys from picking up a dozen guys in a week to pile on points.

The only thing I don't like about it is that we can't set the number of starts per week on individual forward positions...it's just set to forwards as a whole, and we have 2C, 2RW & 2LW slots for starters. If we could tweak that, it would be perfect. But that hasn't been a huge deal at all so far.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yahoo must have been champing at the bit because they already opened fantasy baseball. Usually they wait until a week or two after the super bowl.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Anybody changed their mind on this? I've got 4 commits? Obviously that's not enough. No pressure, if you don't want to do it, it won't hurt my feelings.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I'll play. I make an even 5 lol

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

abc789987 wrote:I'll play. I make an even 5 lol
If you've got any friends who would be dedicated players, feel free to invite them.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
abc789987 wrote:I'll play. I make an even 5 lol
If you've got any friends who would be dedicated players, feel free to invite them.
What are these "friends" you speak of?

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Add another 2 persons to the list. A couple friends I know will play.
Last edited by abc789987 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

abc789987 wrote:Add another person to the list. A buddy I know will play.
Sweet, up to 6! If you get the chance, would you mind PM'ing me your emails? I'm just compiling a list so that once/if we get enough, I'll send out a mass email to everyone.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

What day/time would the draft be? A lot of what I do is dependent on the schedule of the kiddo. I can't tell a 9 month old he has to go down for a nap later because I'm doing a fantasy draft and I'm pretty much in charge of weekend naps because the missus is working then. If it's night, that tends to work unless it's too late or we plan on running one of those classic 3 hour drafts where everyone is using every second they're allowed for the last 15 rounds.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:What day/time would the draft be? A lot of what I do is dependent on the schedule of the kiddo. I can't tell a 9 month old he has to go down for a nap later because I'm doing a fantasy draft and I'm pretty much in charge of weekend naps because the missus is working then. If it's night, that tends to work unless it's too late or we plan on running one of those classic 3 hour drafts where everyone is using every second they're allowed for the last 15 rounds.
That I don't know yet. What I plan on doing is getting everyone in and then sending out an email and hashing out that information. I doubt it would be during the day. I can try to lobby for an evening draft slot, like 7 CST so it's not too late for everyone. We can try to make it a Friday or Saturday...maybe even a Sunday evening.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I've got 8 commits (as long as abc and his friends are still in). So that leaves 2-4 open spots. Anyone?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm in.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'm in.
Fantastic!

Any friends/family you know that would be up for it? If not, no worries. We're at 9 now so we're getting there.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:I'm in.
Fantastic!

Any friends/family you know that would be up for it? If not, no worries. We're at 9 now so we're getting there.
There are a couple of guys I could ask. I'll see what they say.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Cool! Sounds like we'll have a nice league.