Ray Rice

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Ray Rice

Post by cardsfan04 »

A couple days later, I'm still peeved by this.

Gordon got a year for weed.
Bailey got 4 games for weed.
Dunbar got 4 games for PEDs (last year).
Rice got 2 games for knocking his girlfriend unconscious and dragging her body out of an elevator.

How is that possible? How does Goodell come to that decision and not realize how this will look? I'm not a big Goodell fan to begin with because I think he's a bit power trippy. But, even if I didn't fully agree with his methods, I thought there was a net positive to his discipline of players off the field. But, then he lets Rice get away with a slap on the wrist. Any credibility he had is now gone IMO. I don't know the proper suspension, but it's longer than 2 games given the other suspension lengths for lesser offenses.

And, don't even get me started on Steven A Smith. At the very least, he's extremely tone deaf. When discussing a woman getting knocked unconscious, don't turn the discussion into how women can avoid provoking men.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Ray Rice

Post by dmiles2186 »

I meant to comment on this and forgot to. I've never been a Goodell fan, but I've never been angrier at the 2 game ban he handed to Ray Rice. And the way this whole thing was handled by the Ravens initially, when they were tweeting out quotes from his wife at their press conference and his wife apologizing for her involvement in this? I mean, it's all just awful. And Jay Glazer was on Dan Patrick on Monday, I believe, and said the NFL hadn't even seen the video inside the elevator. They had, of course, seen the TMZ video of Rice dragging his wife out of the elevator.

Who knows if Rice's wife instigated any of this. I don't care. I think all of us here were raised to never lay a hand on a woman in any way whatsoever. Either way, it's an ugly deal for the NFL.

I do appreciate Rice coming out and giving that press conference late last week where he was very candid about how this would never go away and he thinks about that night every day. To me, that's a man that understands what he's done and the consequences of that. There's remorse in that. But fact of the matter is, dude knocked out his wife and dragged her off an elevator. In terms of suspension, 2 games is just not enough.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Had Rice committed his offense whilst smoking a joint, he would have gotten an 18 game suspension: 16 for the joint, 2 for the abuse. Goodell is a moron.

Also, regardless of whether Rice feels remorse or not, the damage is done. You don't do that to a woman no matter what. I don't give a flying figtree if she instigated anything by mouthing off or whatever. Hands off women, bottom line. You don't beat the living hell out of a woman then make it all okay by saying you feel bad about it. That's bullshit.

Also (edit #3) no self respecting woman should attend an NFL game this season, as a message to the league. I'm sure a large number of (overpriced) tickets sold are for woman attendees and the league would have to take notice at all the empty seats. Or at least female Ravens fans do a walk out during every game Rice DOES play.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't think this is gong to cost Goodell his job, but I think this is as close as he has ever come. I know the argument against him being fired is how much money they are making, but ANYBODY could make the owners a zillion dollars right now. I'm at the point where I don't trust anything that Goodell says anymore.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen