2015 Soccer Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: 2014 Soccer Thread

Post by dmiles2186 »

I bet Man U winning the Guinness International Champions Cup was a real feather in your cap.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:I bet Man U winning the Guinness International Champions Cup was a real feather in your cap.
Yep, I feel pretty good about that :) Actually liked the way they played against Roma - they attacked!!! Makes me feel a little better about the team and pretty bad about Moyes, who was trumped up to be someone he probably will never ever ever ever be.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ComradeT wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I bet Man U winning the Guinness International Champions Cup was a real feather in your cap.
Yep, I feel pretty good about that :) Actually liked the way they played against Roma - they attacked!!! Makes me feel a little better about the team and pretty bad about Moyes, who was trumped up to be someone he probably will never ever ever ever be.
Van Gaal played it right. Never good to be the guy that follows THE GUY. It's best to be the guy that follows that guy that follows THAT GUY. Curious where Moyes ends up.

Oh, and 10 more days!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
Van Gaal played it right. Never good to be the guy that follows THE GUY. It's best to be the guy that follows that guy that follows THAT GUY. Curious where Moyes ends up.

Oh, and 10 more days!
You may be right. Look at Everton though. I think Moyes simply wasn't what everyone expected he would be.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ComradeT wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Oh, and 10 more days!
You may be right. Look at Everton though. I think Moyes simply wasn't what everyone expected he would be.
I agree. I was upset when we lost him, but in hindsight, it kind of makes you wonder....

I think Everton being the team that doesn't spend a lot of money helped mask the team's under-performance (is that a word? I'm making it one) in some years. Now that Martinez is here, he's raising the bar and he raised it immediately.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Landon Donovan set to retire at the end of the season.

[tweet][/tweet]

After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player.

I don't write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy. I will miss all of the teammates who helped me create so many incredible memories on-the-field, and who I have shared many wonderful experiences with off-the-field. I will miss my coaches, at both the club and national team levels, who have helped me develop throughout my career and helped make me the player I am today. However, after spending half my life as a professional soccer player, I also am excited to begin a new chapter and pursue other opportunities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a person.

There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.

As we enter a transformative time for the sport, I will do everything I can to help the continued growth of soccer in the United States. I look forward to making a difference, pursuing my passions and meeting all of you along the way in this next phase of my life.

With gratitude,

Landon

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:Landon Donovan set to retire at the end of the season.

[tweet][/tweet]

After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player.

I don't write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy. I will miss all of the teammates who helped me create so many incredible memories on-the-field, and who I have shared many wonderful experiences with off-the-field. I will miss my coaches, at both the club and national team levels, who have helped me develop throughout my career and helped make me the player I am today. However, after spending half my life as a professional soccer player, I also am excited to begin a new chapter and pursue other opportunities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a person.

There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.

As we enter a transformative time for the sport, I will do everything I can to help the continued growth of soccer in the United States. I look forward to making a difference, pursuing my passions and meeting all of you along the way in this next phase of my life.

With gratitude,

Landon
Yeah, whatever dude. I think he always felt under-appreciated but never worked hard enough to really make it big. I don't have nearly as much respect for Donovan as I do for Dempsey.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

Oh, and 10 more days!
I agree. I was upset when we lost him, but in hindsight, it kind of makes you wonder....

I think Everton being the team that doesn't spend a lot of money helped mask the team's under-performance (is that a word? I'm making it one) in some years. Now that Martinez is here, he's raising the bar and he raised it immediately.
He raised the bar but the Toffees will be lowering it back down. You'll be lucky to get 7th this year. It's going to be tough in the EPL. It's going to be a cracking season to say the least.

My prediction for top 10 of the table:
1 Man Shitty (Manchester City)
2 Chavs (Chelsea)
3 Liverpool (although 1st would be my preference :grin: )
4 ManUre (Manc Shite United)(had to it ComradeT :lol: )
5 Gooners (Arsenal)
6 Spuds (Tottenham Hotspur)
7 Toffees (Everton)
8 Potters (Stoke City)
9 Eagles (Crystal Palace)
10 Hammers(West Ham United)
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ComradeT wrote:

[tweet][/tweet]

With gratitude,

Landon
Yeah, whatever dude. I think he always felt under-appreciated but never worked hard enough to really make it big. I don't have nearly as much respect for Donovan as I do for Dempsey.
Man, I disagree. He's the greatest goal scorer in MLS history. Greatest goal scorer in USMNT. Scored one of the biggest goals in USMNT history (2010). But on top of that, he was the face of both institutions for more than a decade. That means TV appearances, radio appearances, etc. Any time MLS was making a league announcement, most of the time he was there. Mentally, that wears on a dude. Dempsey is 31, he's just now the 'face' of US soccer. I know he played in the Premier League longer. You can argue he's a more elite player than Landon ever was. But from the time Landon was 18 to now, he's been in the spotlight. Dempsey hasn't faced the same scrutiny/spotlight throughout his playing years.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ComradeT wrote:

[tweet][/tweet]

With gratitude,

Landon
Man, I disagree. He's the greatest goal scorer in MLS history. Greatest goal scorer in USMNT. Scored one of the biggest goals in USMNT history (2010). But on top of that, he was the face of both institutions for more than a decade. That means TV appearances, radio appearances, etc. Any time MLS was making a league announcement, most of the time he was there. Mentally, that wears on a dude. Dempsey is 31, he's just now the 'face' of US soccer. I know he played in the Premier League longer. You can argue he's a more elite player than Landon ever was. But from the time Landon was 18 to now, he's been in the spotlight. Dempsey hasn't faced the same scrutiny/spotlight throughout his playing years.
Hmm... I stand corrected. Strike the under-appreciated part. :grin:

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I agree with Miles. Landycakes is no doubt the greatest player in USMNT history! He is way better and flashier than Dempsey. Still say it was a huge mistake for Klinsmann to leave him off the WC team even as sub! He had some amazing clutch goals for the USMNT! Also watched him with Beckham and saw how much better he is than Boo Boo!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Saw a stat last night. Landon has 57 g, 58 a for the USMNT. He's the only guy in team history to have more than 50 of both. But the impressive thing is the assist total is more than the next 3 on the leader list combined. Cobi Jones (my favorite USMNT of all time) is 2nd on the list with 22. That's insane.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

[youtube][/youtube]

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Speaking of Leicester... They are playing Everton on Saturday. Let's play football! :okman: :okman: :okman:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ComradeT wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Speaking of Leicester... They are playing Everton on Saturday. Let's play football! :okman: :okman: :okman:
Indeed. Already told the Mrs. that I'm out of commission from 9-11 that morning.

Also, Atsu loan complete. Let's do it!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Rebecca Lowe will be back in my life tomorrow. HUZZAH!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:Rebecca Lowe will be back in my life tomorrow. HUZZAH!
United game is on @6:45 am... FML... I mean HUZZAH!!!

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

ComradeT wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Rebecca Lowe will be back in my life tomorrow. HUZZAH!
United game is on @6:45 am... FML... I mean HUZZAH!!!
I'll be sleeping since there is no need to get up that early for the ManUre game. Since the Reds don't play until Sunday...Go Swans I mean WTF is HUZZAH!!!
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

For (Frank)'s sake, Everton has shat 4 points away in the last 10 minutes of their first 2 games. Up 2-0 on Arsenal in the 80' and come away with a draw. (Frank) everything.