OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Post by glen a richter »

The Giants come to play when it counts, that's the facts. We've seen it in their two titles. But, they're carried basically by very good pitching. Kansas City will expose the weaknesses in the San Fran lineup and I expect a low scoring series whichever way it turns out.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Remember how I told you guys that nobody watches baseball anymore outside of the cities actually in the playoffs? Well MLB hit an all time record low in ratings last month. The NLCS games only drew around 4.5 million viewers nationally which is awful even if it is a record for FoxSports1. Many people don't even get FoxSports1!

MLB ratings on Fox hit record low

Last weekend’s MLB on FOX window drew a 0.9 final rating, likely the lowest ever for MLB on broadcast television . FOX has earned a 1.0 rating for MLB coverage on multiple occasions — including the week before — but there is no previous record of anything below that mark.

All things considered, 0.9 is not very different from 1.0. Considering the mitigating factors — competition from college football, little promotion and a weak timeslot — it can even be considered respectable.

With that said, the 0.9 does make MLB the first of the ‘Big Three’ sports leagues to sink under the 1.0 mark on broadcast TV. The NBA’s lowest ever rating on broadcast was a 1.0 for a Suns/Kings game on ABC in 2007. The NFL, of course, has never even flirted with that mark on a broadcast network. (The NHL, to broaden out to a ‘Big Four,’ has routinely dipped below 1.0 on NBC, hitting a low of 0.4 for a Rangers/Devils game in 2013.)

More significant than the number itself is the broader downward trend on FOX. While national MLB television ratings have been falling for years, the declines on FOX have been unusually sharp this season.

http://beta.sportingnews.com/article/46 ... low-rating

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote: Cardinals have made the NLCS 4 straight seasons, 3 of which have come under Matheny. The Giants missed the playoffs in 07, 08, 09 (Bochy's first 3 seasons), 2011 (after they won a title in 2010), and were 10 games under .500 and missed the playoffs in 2013 (a year after a title, as well). Meanwhile, the Cardinals have won 88, 97, and 90 games in the regular season under Matheny.

I get the Giants have won 2 titles, I'm not disputing that. My point is that the Cardinals haven't had the dips in success like the Giants do. Let's also not forget the Cardinals have made the playoffs 11 out of the last 14 years and 8 of those years were the NLCS or further. Giants can't match that. Cardinals run of success much longer and contains the same amount of titles that the Giants have.
And my point is the Cardinals lost to the Giants in 5 games and are now playing golf or fishing. All the "post-season success" doesn't mean shit if you don't win the game in front of you. The Giants did, and now they are in the WS.

As far as "dips" in success... the cards have lost to the Giants in the NLCS in two of the last three years.

The only question that's left is who will win this year's WS, and clearly it won't be the Cards.
I was responding to jesusNEVERSOMEWHATMAYBECOULDHAVEexisted. I'm not saying the Cards have an impeccable postseason record at all. The Cards' postseason kryptonite are the Giants and the Red Sox. Yeah, the Giants make it count, but they also have some down years, where the Cards really have only had 3-4 of those in the last 14 years. That's all I was trying to say. I give the Giants all the props in the world for what they've done in 2010 and 2012. We'll see what they do this year.

Also, I'm pulling for the Royals big time. I want to see them have success. I feel like people get this hang up about Cardinals fans where they think we are all 'BEST FAN IN BASEBALL!!!' type people, but there are some of us with some self awareness who can take a step back. I have no bitterness towards either team in the Series. I'm hoping for a good one.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Remember how I told you guys that nobody watches baseball anymore outside of the cities actually in the playoffs? Well MLB hit an all time record low in ratings last month. The NLCS games only drew around 4.5 million viewers nationally which is awful even if it is a record for FoxSports1. Many people don't even get FoxSports1!

Last weekend’s MLB on FOX window drew a 0.9 final rating, likely the lowest ever for MLB on broadcast television . FOX has earned a 1.0 rating for MLB coverage on multiple occasions — including the week before — but there is no previous record of anything below that mark.

All things considered, 0.9 is not very different from 1.0. Considering the mitigating factors — competition from college football, little promotion and a weak timeslot — it can even be considered respectable.

With that said, the 0.9 does make MLB the first of the ‘Big Three’ sports leagues to sink under the 1.0 mark on broadcast TV. The NBA’s lowest ever rating on broadcast was a 1.0 for a Suns/Kings game on ABC in 2007. The NFL, of course, has never even flirted with that mark on a broadcast network. (The NHL, to broaden out to a ‘Big Four,’ has routinely dipped below 1.0 on NBC, hitting a low of 0.4 for a Rangers/Devils game in 2013.)

More significant than the number itself is the broader downward trend on FOX. While national MLB television ratings have been falling for years, the declines on FOX have been unusually sharp this season.

We are baseball fans. We don't care.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Remember how I told you guys that nobody watches baseball anymore outside of the cities actually in the playoffs? Well MLB hit an all time record low in ratings last month. The NLCS games only drew around 4.5 million viewers nationally which is awful even if it is a record for FoxSports1. Many people don't even get FoxSports1!

Nobody gives a crap about your stupid numbers. I can watch whatever the heck I want to watch. So it's in the minority? Big deal. The majority is usually full of d-bags anyway.

"Nobody" watches hockey either, so I guess that sucks too?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Those are NOT my numbers but the national numbers of the former national pastime! The World Series used to get ratings close to the Super Bowl but it has totally collapsed since then. Hockey was NEVER that big so that's an awful comparison.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

JNE, who gives a shit?

I'm more annoyed that baseball has been cable television only up to this point. Giant fail on the part of MLB. I have to believe more people would have watched the games if it wasn't on pay television.

Anyway, go Royals.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

I'm just pointing out a major shift in American sports culture. Baseball has become a regional game and doesn't get the huge national ratings it used to.

Remember Monday Night Baseball? It used to be on ABC and almost as popular as Monday Night Football. But they cancelled it when they realized no one was watching! :lol:

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Those are NOT my numbers but the national numbers of the former national pastime! The World Series used to get ratings close to the Super Bowl but it has totally collapsed since then. Hockey was NEVER that big so that's an awful comparison.
I didn't say they were literally YOUR numbers. I thought it was implied that I meant nobody gives a crap about THE numbers YOU posted. The entire point is that I personally don't care what the national numbers are and that they are dropping. I'm watching a rise in complete idiocy of the general population as a whole so it's only fitting that baseball numbers would be going down at the same time. Nobody has the brain power to appreciate the game anymore. You have to think to see and understand the subtle nuances of the game. It's probably boring to a moron, so....good. Less is more in this case. I like baseball, so I'm going to watch it. It's not going anywhere despite the dumbass numbers you shared with us.

What are you trying to prove anyway? If you think baseball sucks then just (frank) stay out of the thread. You aren't going to change any opinions in here so just go away.
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Proof of why JNE hates baseball:

That or this was him...

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Proof of why JNE hates baseball:

That or this was him...

Or he was once a Cubs fan. I can't say I wouldn't be questioning the existence of a higher power if I was one...

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

So sayeth JNE, we are all forbidden from liking baseball. Oh wait, no one cares about his worthless opinion on baseball or any other issue, for that matter. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why he even posts here when it's obvious he's very unwelcome.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

A myth can't coach! :mrgreen: 8)

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:A myth can't coach! :mrgreen: 8)
But major league assholes can post!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

ViPeRx007 wrote:
This isn't a baseball forum! :mrgreen:

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

ViPeRx007 wrote:

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
What is it then?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

When JNE watches TV, his enjoyment is proportional to the Nielsen rating. He doesn't know if he enjoyed it for a few days.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

ViPeRx007 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
What is it then?
English must not be your native language. This forum is called Let's Go Blues. It's a HOCKEY forum. This is a baseball thread in a hockey forum.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
What is it then?
English must not be your native language. This forum is called Let's Go Blues. It's a HOCKEY forum. This is a baseball thread in a hockey forum.
This is a baseball thread in the 'Everything Else [OT]' portion of a hockey forum. It's exactly where it should be. You know this, yet you continue to stir the pot.