OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Post by cardsfan04 »

Masterson making his first start today. This may be extremely homerish, but I think he's going to do well today.

His wOBA vs righties this year is .305 which is solid enough. Not spectacular, but solid. It's .408 vs lefties which is AWFUL, but Milwaukee is full of righties. So that bodes well.
His GB/FB ratio is really really good at 2.81 which is significant because he's going from the absolute worst defense to one of the best both in terms of UZR and DRS which should help his ridiculously high .350 BABIP come down.

I mean, he still walks way too many people (5.14BB/9), but hopefully a better defense behind him helps. And maybe a change of scenery?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

So, I was wrong lol. He's gotta have better control than that. Offense was nice though.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Well, it wasn't pretty but Lackey and Masterson both got wins. I'll take 'em.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I didn't get to see Lackey pitch at all, but it appears he settled in pretty decently after allowing a run in each of the first two innings.

Taveras is starting to come around too which is nice. Hopefully having the everyday job is what he needed to take some pressure off of him or something.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I didn't get to see Lackey pitch at all, but it appears he settled in pretty decently after allowing a run in each of the first two innings.

Taveras is starting to come around too which is nice. Hopefully having the everyday job is what he needed to take some pressure off of him or something.
Lackey had some good movement on his pitches. He looked great the first few batters, then gave up a couple back to back XBH (if memory serves) to give up the first run. Then Mark Reynolds hit a deep HR, but after that, Lackey settled in. Definitely looked good, for sure.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Going to the game tonight. Kelly starting for the Red Sox, but I'm guessing Craig doesn't play. Apparently he has the same injury as he had last year. That, or he just rolled his ankle. Not sure which.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Actually, looks like they put him on the DL. Definitely not playing.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

And, Kelly's not starting tonight anymore either. WTF? When he was traded this is when they said he would start, but it's Rubby de la Rosa.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:And, Kelly's not starting tonight anymore either. WTF? When he was traded this is when they said he would start, but it's Rubby de la Rosa.
Yeah, tomorrow is the 'Best Man at each other's wedding' matchup between Kelly and Miller. Got a coworker going to that one. That was listed as the matchup when he looked it up yesterday.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Only 1 game back now. I've been saying all year that we have the best team in the Central, the Brewers have been overachieving and will fade, and that we've been underachieving. Hopefully we can get hot down the stretch.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Magic numbers:

Pirates: 10
Brewers: 8

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I can't believe we're talking about Cardinals magic numbers after all that happened this year.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

The Seahwaks/Packers game on Thursday got higher ratings IN ST.LOUIS than Wacha coming back for the borebirds. Even St.Louisans care more about OTHER NFL teams than the snoozebirds! :lol:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Seahwaks/Packers game on Thursday got higher ratings IN ST.LOUIS than Wacha coming back for the borebirds. Even St.Louisans care more about OTHER NFL teams than the snoozebirds! :lol:
You're comparing apples and oranges. NFL is a weekly sport (and that was the first game of the NFL season), baseball has 162 games per team. Comparing NFL ratings to MLB ratings is irrelevant. St. Louis pulls in higher baseball ratings locally than almost every other market.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Last nights starting pitcher for Houston is a graduate of my high school and my college which is kind of really cool for us because no good pro athletes ever come out of my town. His mlb career thus far (2 games) seems to be following his minor league career... solid numbers but no run support, hence the 1-1 record and 2.70 era. If Houston ever gets any semblance of an offense he could be really successful as a third or fourth starter.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:I can't believe we're talking about Cardinals magic numbers after all that happened this year.
For real. Hopefully we get to 90 wins. Last night hurt though.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Seahwaks/Packers game on Thursday got higher ratings IN ST.LOUIS than Wacha coming back for the borebirds. Even St.Louisans care more about OTHER NFL teams than the snoozebirds! :lol:
You're comparing apples and oranges. NFL is a weekly sport (and that was the first game of the NFL season), baseball has 162 games per team. Comparing NFL ratings to MLB ratings is irrelevant. St. Louis pulls in higher baseball ratings locally than almost every other market.
You're in denial. The NFL is many times bigger than MLB! The NFL just signed a $40 BILLION TV deal. I believe MLB is $6 or $7 billion. NFL revenues overall are many times higher than any other league.

Even in St.Louis I have NEVER seen a team get more attention and media than the Rams did for those 3 or 4 years they had the "Greatest Show on Turf". It was clearly bigger than when the Cards won the WS in 2006 and 2011. Even Dan Dierdorf said baseball fans are in denial if they don't realize football is by far and away the bigger sport.

I didn't even mention the whole fantasy football craze which I hate but people obviously like it. I should also say I don't even watch NFL anymore except for the Rams but I have always hated boreball!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
You're in denial. The NFL is many times bigger than MLB! The NFL just signed a $40 BILLION TV deal. I believe MLB is $6 or $7 billion. NFL revenues overall are many times higher than any other league.

Even in St.Louis I have NEVER seen a team get more attention and media than the Rams did for those 3 or 4 years they had the "Greatest Show on Turf". It was clearly bigger than when the Cards won the WS in 2006 and 2011. Even Dan Dierdorf said baseball fans are in denial if they don't realize football is by far and away the bigger sport.

I didn't even mention the whole fantasy football craze which I hate but people obviously like it. I should also say I don't even watch NFL anymore except for the Rams but I have always hated boreball!
Where am I in denial? Where in my quote do I say that MLB is as large as the NFL? All I pointed out was you comparing NFL and MLB ratings being irrelevant. I get that you're trolling here, but at least get my argument right. The NFL is always going to out-rate every other sport, but to criticize STL's baseball ratings is just absurd. But thus, the trolling.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

I don't really care how many other people watch the Cards on TV. I just don't. If I'm watching a Cards game, I have thought exactly zero times, "You know what would make this better? If there were 7 million more other people watching this from their home too." I just don't care. At all.

NFL is more popular than MLB right now, but the comparison you gave was pretty dumb. I'd guess that most weekly NFL games have a bigger TV audience than a random Thursday night baseball game. But, factor in that it was the very first game of the season, and your comparison just becomes totally ludicrous.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the media deals. Back in 2011 or 2012, NFL signed a 9 year/$27 Billion deal ($3 bil annually) to run from 2014-2022. That's a far cry from $40 bil, and it's not an annual amount.

Angels have a $3 bil/20 year deal. Dodgers have a $4bil/20 year deal (I think). Yankees own their own network. I don't know if all of the local deals + FOX and ESPN deals would add up to $3 bil annually, but it's not pocket change that they are playing with.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

LOL..you guys don't know what troll means. You simply throw it around because someone disagrees with you!

All I'm saying is even in St.Louis when both teams are good the Rams clearly are bigger. If you were in St.Louis between 1999 and 2004 the Rams were bigger in every way than when the Cards won in 2006 and 2011. Bigger ratings, more media coverage, more fan interest, etc.

I'm not denying the Cards are big. No doubt they are #1 by far now but when the Rams were good they were clearly bigger.