OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Post by glen a richter »

So sad, the kid had a bright future as a fixture in the St. Louis lineup.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

All time low ratings for World series

Michael Santoli
Yahoo Finance

This year’s World Series has great characters and storylines. So why are so few Americans captivated by the drama?

The dynamic, too-young-to-worry Royals that brought Kansas City its first pennant since 1985 and the colorful, resourceful San Francisco Giants back to their third Series in five years have split the first two games.

Yet the ratings for Fox’s game one broadcast were the lowest for a Series opener since the Fall Classic was first televised in 1947, continuing a steady, decade-long slide in the television audience for postseason baseball.

Have Americans, in their 21st century over-stimulated haste, at last lost their patience for the leisurely pace of the game?

“It has now become widely acknowledged,” says Yahoo Finance contributor Henry Blodget in the attached video, “that even Major League Baseball is starting to recognize just the pace of the game takes forever.” While he notes that some game-hastening rules are being tested in the minor leagues, in the majors long breaks, tedious pitcher rituals and TV cutaways cause games to drag.

This year the typical game in the majors this season exceeded three hours, the longest average duration ever. Three decades ago, games were almost a half-hour shorter. MLB, an otherwise thriving industry in terms of attendance and revenues, understands this problem and its newly elected Commissioner Rob Manfred has assigned a committee to figure out ways to quicken the pace of play.

Blodget notes that pro football continues to dominate in TV mindshare, with its built-for-TV physical drama and mayhem, augmented by runaway interest in fantasy football and gambling. Tellingly, the NFL’s Thursday night regular season game last week drew 25% more eyeballs than did World Series game one.

But surely the syrupy, contemplative cadence of ballgames isn’t the only explanation for softer TV ratings. Games are not appreciably longer now than they were a year ago, when the first Series game between the Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals drew 15% larger TV audience than this year’s opener.

The match-up of two smaller-market teams without many nationally recognized stars is likely also sapping viewer interest. For as enjoyable as the Royals’ unlikely sprint into the Series has been, Kansas City is the 31st-largest TV market in the country and the team lacks either a national following or brand name superstars.

Sure, the San Francisco Bay area is a top-ten TV market. But it sprawls, is split between the Giants and Oakland A’s and the team’s brand hasn’t travelled as well nationally, the way the Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers and Yankees have. Baseball has always been a more local game, the season-long team narrative playing out city-by-city rather than followed by a single national audience.

This year there wasn’t enough buildup of interest in either of these teams to generate much collective suspense over the culmination of the long season in October.

The bigger story here might be the secular decline of live, primetime television viewing (for nearly everything but football).

It’s worth noting that, even with the relatively weak ratings Tuesday night, Twenty-First Century Fox Inc.’s (FOX) Fox led all networks in viewership among the heavily targeted 18-to-49 year old demographic.

This secular challenge of trying to gain notice in a crowded field of on-demand viewing, copious entertainment options and a fragmented audience pool is one Major League baseball needs to get serious about addressing. It’ll take more than a blue-ribbon commission about forcing pitchers to deliver the next pitch a few seconds faster.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A young kid died in a massive car wreck and JNE is pontificating about how much he hates baseball.

Curt, how long until you ban this classless troll?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:All time low ratings for World series

Michael Santoli
Yahoo Finance

This year’s World Series has great characters and storylines. So why are so few Americans captivated by the drama?

The dynamic, too-young-to-worry Royals that brought Kansas City its first pennant since 1985 and the colorful, resourceful San Francisco Giants back to their third Series in five years have split the first two games.

Yet the ratings for Fox’s game one broadcast were the lowest for a Series opener since the Fall Classic was first televised in 1947, continuing a steady, decade-long slide in the television audience for postseason baseball.

Have Americans, in their 21st century over-stimulated haste, at last lost their patience for the leisurely pace of the game?

“It has now become widely acknowledged,” says Yahoo Finance contributor Henry Blodget in the attached video, “that even Major League Baseball is starting to recognize just the pace of the game takes forever.” While he notes that some game-hastening rules are being tested in the minor leagues, in the majors long breaks, tedious pitcher rituals and TV cutaways cause games to drag.

This year the typical game in the majors this season exceeded three hours, the longest average duration ever. Three decades ago, games were almost a half-hour shorter. MLB, an otherwise thriving industry in terms of attendance and revenues, understands this problem and its newly elected Commissioner Rob Manfred has assigned a committee to figure out ways to quicken the pace of play.

Blodget notes that pro football continues to dominate in TV mindshare, with its built-for-TV physical drama and mayhem, augmented by runaway interest in fantasy football and gambling. Tellingly, the NFL’s Thursday night regular season game last week drew 25% more eyeballs than did World Series game one.

But surely the syrupy, contemplative cadence of ballgames isn’t the only explanation for softer TV ratings. Games are not appreciably longer now than they were a year ago, when the first Series game between the Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals drew 15% larger TV audience than this year’s opener.

The match-up of two smaller-market teams without many nationally recognized stars is likely also sapping viewer interest. For as enjoyable as the Royals’ unlikely sprint into the Series has been, Kansas City is the 31st-largest TV market in the country and the team lacks either a national following or brand name superstars.

Sure, the San Francisco Bay area is a top-ten TV market. But it sprawls, is split between the Giants and Oakland A’s and the team’s brand hasn’t travelled as well nationally, the way the Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers and Yankees have. Baseball has always been a more local game, the season-long team narrative playing out city-by-city rather than followed by a single national audience.

This year there wasn’t enough buildup of interest in either of these teams to generate much collective suspense over the culmination of the long season in October.

The bigger story here might be the secular decline of live, primetime television viewing (for nearly everything but football).

It’s worth noting that, even with the relatively weak ratings Tuesday night, Twenty-First Century Fox Inc.’s (FOX) Fox led all networks in viewership among the heavily targeted 18-to-49 year old demographic.

This secular challenge of trying to gain notice in a crowded field of on-demand viewing, copious entertainment options and a fragmented audience pool is one Major League baseball needs to get serious about addressing. It’ll take more than a blue-ribbon commission about forcing pitchers to deliver the next pitch a few seconds faster.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote:A young kid died in a massive car wreck and JNE is pontificating about how much he hates baseball.

They didn't ban the world series game last night TROLL!

The article just came out so I posted it and it's very relevant to the state of the game today. I already gave my condolensces to the Taveras family on the Cardinals site.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
glen a richter wrote:A young kid died in a massive car wreck and JNE is pontificating about how much he hates baseball.

The article just came out so I posted it and it's very relevant to the state of the game today. I already gave my condolensces to the Taveras family on the Cardinals site.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Seriously, JNE, (frank) you. Your schtick has run it's course.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Really sad to hear about Tavares and the young lady he was with. The baseball side of things is bad enough; such a bright future he had in the league. I feel bad for him and for the fans that now will miss out on years of future memories watching him play, but also just for the loss of such young lives, and the effect it will have on their friends and families. That's more than enough of a tragedy on it's own, without baseball even being added to the equation.

I know it's silly, but I always kind of put athletes and higher profile people in a category where they seem invincible, but every once and a while something like this will happen that really snaps you back to reality in a hurry. It's a weird feeling.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Some of you people act like Kim Jong Un. If we don't agree EXACTLY with what you think then you want us exiled! You forget we are in the great USA where we are ALL entitled to our own opinions! Plus I left my condolensces for Taveras on the Cardinals website before any of you even thought of it!

As more proof I am right they are discussing that low ratings baseball article on other sports and baseball forums so it's totally reasonable to discuss it!

Miles, posting a Jesus cartoon only helps prove my point! There is not a single painting or sculpture of Jesus when he was allegedly alive because he only exists in Judeo Christian MYTH! No historical figure EVER saw an earthly Jesus nor did this Jesus ever leave behind a shred of archaeological evidence.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Some of you people act like Kim Jong Un. If we don't agree EXACTLY with what you think then you want us exiled! You forget we are in the great USA where we are ALL entitled to our own opinions! Plus I left my condolensces for Taveras on the Cardinals website before any of you even thought of it!

As more proof I am right they are discussing that low ratings baseball article on other sports and baseball forums so it's totally reasonable to discuss it!

Miles, posting a Jesus cartoon only helps prove my point! There is not a single painting or sculpture of Jesus when he was allegedly alive because he only exists in Judeo Christian MYTH! No historical figure EVER saw an earthly Jesus nor did this Jesus ever leave behind a shred of archaeological evidence.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Miles, MAJOR fail.

Actors have played Krishna, Rama, Zeus, Hercules, Thor, Jesus, etc. It doesn't change the REALITY of the Judeo Christian MYTH!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Miles, MAJOR fail.

Actors have played Krishna, Rama, Zeus, Hercules, Thor, Jesus, etc. It doesn't change the REALITY of the Judeo Christian MYTH!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Some of you people act like Kim Jong Un. If we don't agree EXACTLY with what you think then you want us exiled! You forget we are in the great USA where we are ALL entitled to our own opinions! Plus I left my condolensces for Taveras on the Cardinals website before any of you even thought of it!

It has nothing to do with agreeing/disagreeing, you're just a jerk about everything. Normal people can be civil in their disagreements, but your sole purpose is to just stir things up everywhere. You don't leave anything alone. You didn't have to come in here talking about "barfball" and "snoozeball". You have no tact or respect. That's why we're sick of you.

Now you're trying to one up everyone about Tavares? Classy. Aren't you a great person....

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Viper, you have NO life if you simply want to pick fights, insult, & argue with someone just because they disagree with you. You never learned any manners growing up otherwise you would have learned to accept people for who they are & not what you want them to be!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Viper, you have NO life if you simply want to pick fights, insult, & argue with someone just because they disagree with you. You never learned any manners growing up otherwise you would have learned to accept people for who they are & not what you want them to be!
Says the guy who comes here with a controversial handle and makes posts intended to antagonize, attack and belittle everyone and try to force us to believe what you believe about everything. Look in the mirror, you halfwit.

Curt, I agree with te sentiment that JNE's schtick is getting very very old. It's time to lay down the ban hammer on this toolbag.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Viper, you have NO life if you simply want to pick fights, insult, & argue with someone just because they disagree with you. You never learned any manners growing up otherwise you would have learned to accept people for who they are & not what you want them to be!
Please tell us more about how you're suddenly the victim when all you do is the same thing you're now complaining about. I have more manners in my pinky finger than you have in your entire body. I'm just flat-out sick of your crap, so I don't think you deserve my good manners.

I could care less that you're a sociopath Atheist Blackhawks fan who hates baseball. That's all fine and dandy with me, but there are times when you don't HAVE to comment. You can just think to yourself, "hey, I don't like baseball, so I don't think I'll go in the MLB thread." but, instead, you have to come in and tell us all about it in a jabbing way. I'm glad you're an individual that has opinions, but dang, man, we don't need to hear them all, especially if you KNOW DAMN WELL they're going to annoy people.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Please tell us more about how you're suddenly the victim when all you do is the same thing you're now complaining about. I have more manners in my pinky finger than you have in your entire body. I'm just flat-out sick of your crap, so I don't think you deserve my good manners.

I could care less that you're a sociopath Atheist Blackhawks fan who hates baseball. That's all fine and dandy with me, but there are times when you don't HAVE to comment. You can just think to yourself, "hey, I don't like baseball, so I don't think I'll go in the MLB thread." but, instead, you have to come in and tell us all about it in a jabbing way. I'm glad you're an individual that has opinions, but dang, man, we don't need to hear them all, especially if you KNOW DAMN WELL they're going to annoy people.
++ everyone has opinions. I hate soccer, everyone knows that. Dmiles knows better than anyone because I rib him about soccer being the most boring sport in the world. But I don't get aggressive about it and post a billion cherrypicked articles to back up my opinion, nor do I call out people who disagree with me. At the end of the day, if you like soccer, you like soccer. Different strokes for different folks.

JNE, you joined an established website that's been around well over a decade. Many of us know each other from previous websites that came before LGB. We know each others humor, we know where the line between being funny and being an idiot is and we know not to cross (too far) over that line. You crossed it months ago with your aggressive style of posting, attacking those who disagree with you or call you out for being generally obnoxious. There is literally not a single person on this site who finds you informative, entertaining or remotely enjoyable to have around. It's not because you have an opinion, it's because you don't have a filter. Learn when enough is enough and we won't come after you. Otherwise expect to be received worse and worse each time you spew something out of your keyboard.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

glen a richter wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

++ everyone has opinions. I hate soccer, everyone knows that. Dmiles knows better than anyone because I rib him about soccer being the most boring sport in the world. But I don't get aggressive about it and post a billion cherrypicked articles to back up my opinion, nor do I call out people who disagree with me. At the end of the day, if you like soccer, you like soccer. Different strokes for different folks.

JNE, you joined an established website that's been around well over a decade. Many of us know each other from previous websites that came before LGB. We know each others humor, we know where the line between being funny and being an idiot is and we know not to cross (too far) over that line. You crossed it months ago with your aggressive style of posting, attacking those who disagree with you or call you out for being generally obnoxious. There is literally not a single person on this site who finds you informative, entertaining or remotely enjoyable to have around. It's not because you have an opinion, it's because you don't have a filter. Learn when enough is enough and we won't come after you. Otherwise expect to be received worse and worse each time you spew something out of your keyboard.

Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

And p.s. - STOP USING ALL CAPS to emphasize your indignation. Calling people names in all caps isn't going to get you much back & forth conversation.