OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Post by glen a richter »

I'm genuinely pissed about game 7. First, I wanted the royals to win just like pretty much everyone else who didn't have a horse in the race. Second, Gordon could have scored. In that situation after as many screw ups as there were I'm positive the ball would have been thrown away. Screw the Giants.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't think that they should have straight sent him, but I do think he should have drawn a throw. If it's a good throw, I think he's out by 15 feet, but he can go back to third instead. If it's a bad throw, he scores. Might as well make them do something extra that, if they screw up, allows you to tie the game.

As for the result, i was rooting for the Royals, with the caveat of enjoying seeing something special. Going into game 7, the only way I wanted the Giants to win was if Bumgarner did something crazy. He did that, so I'm not too disappointed.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Fun fact: the Giants have won the World Series in every year that Taylor Swift released an album during the World Series. This fun fact brought to you by Twitter.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I too was disapointed the Royals lost... But no way in hell should Gordon tried to score. He would have been out by a mile.

Fangraphs breaks it down very clearly.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

The Blues were playing during game 7.When you change channels between the 2 it is such an AMAZING contrast between the constant up and down action of hockey compared to snoozeball where players just stand there!

It's no wonder Game 1 of the "world" series had the lowest ratings EVER! I'm sure the rest of the series did about the same. NO ONE CARES outside of KC and SF.

Ball........strike........foul........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I went to a Cards game and it's a joke. Most people just talk to each other, drink beer, eat junk, and hardly pay attention to the game itself!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Can somebody call Guinness? I think JNE just set the world record for talking the most about something that he hates.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Blues were playing during game 7.
I now cannot believe anything you have previously said on here. The Blues were not playing during game 7. Unless you are talking about 2011... But this is a thread about the 2014 baseball season.

So does this mean Jebus does exist?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Taveras had a .287 BAC. I'm not sure what that changes. Still died too young, but it was due to his own stupidity. That's ridiculously drunk and probably not far from alcohol poisoning.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Taveras had a .287 BAC. I'm not sure what that changes. Still died too young, but it was due to his own stupidity. That's ridiculously drunk and probably not far from alcohol poisoning.

Hmm...it does kind of change my feelings, I won't lie. Obviously it's still sad and a horrible tragedy, but it's a different thing from an accident that just involved the weather or something he couldn't control. We were all (or some probably still are) young and did stupid things, I guess. Luckily most don't have this type of result. I just hope that someone out there will learn from this and avoid a similar thing happening in their life.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Taveras had a .287 BAC. I'm not sure what that changes. Still died too young, but it was due to his own stupidity. That's ridiculously drunk and probably not far from alcohol poisoning.

Hmm...it does kind of change my feelings, I won't lie. Obviously it's still sad and a horrible tragedy, but it's a different thing from an accident that just involved the weather or something he couldn't control. We were all (or some probably still are) young and did stupid things, I guess. Luckily most don't have this type of result. I just hope that someone out there will learn from this and avoid a similar thing happening in their life.
Yeah, I hear ya. My emotions definitely shifted because he's no longer just an innocent victim that died too soon. I just don't know how to feel. I mean, he brought on his own demise. What he did was selfish and indefensible. At the same time, DUI's don't send people to death row, so I'm not sure I think he deserved his fate (which likely puts me in the minority) even if he's at fault for it.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Yeah, I hear ya. My emotions definitely shifted because he's no longer just an innocent victim that died too soon. I just don't know how to feel. I mean, he brought on his own demise. What he did was selfish and indefensible. At the same time, DUI's don't send people to death row, so I'm not sure I think he deserved his fate (which likely puts me in the minority) even if he's at fault for it.
No, I agree with you. I obviously didn't know the guy personally. I don't know what type of person he really was, so it's not for me to judge. I just find it highly doubtful he or his girlfriend deserved it. Not many do. I reserve that type of thinking for the real low-life psychopath scumbags, not a kid who played baseball and seemed like a decent person based on the reactions.

It's especially a confusing gammut of emotions though when I read in the paper about some guy getting his 11th DUI, and he's still around. Why does he get to keep being a danger to himself and, more importantly, a danger to everyone around him? Do I want him to die? I'd still say no, but at a certain point you wonder about these things. Maybe I should ask JNE the meaning of life...

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

abc789987 wrote:
I now cannot believe anything you have previously said on here. The Blues were not playing during game 7. Unless you are talking about holebore1... But this is a thread about the 2014 baseball season.

So it was game 6. Sorry I was off by a game.

I clearly recall changing the channel between the Blues and Stars on 10/28 and seeing the DRASTIC contrast of the Royals/ Giants snoozeball with players just standing there. The Blues and Stars were zooming up and down the ice while boreball players looked comatose! :lol:

And Jesus is still a myth! :mrgreen:

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
abc789987 wrote:
I now cannot believe anything you have previously said on here. The Blues were not playing during game 7. Unless you are talking about holebore1... But this is a thread about the 2014 baseball season.

I'm a (frank) douchebag.
ftfy.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
abc789987 wrote:

So it was game 6. Sorry I was off by a game.

I clearly recall changing the channel between the Blues and Stars on 10/28 and seeing the DRASTIC contrast of the Royals/ Giants snoozeball with players just standing there. The Blues and Stars were zooming up and down the ice while boreball players looked comatose! :lol:

And Jesus is still a myth! :mrgreen:
So, you're saying you DON'T like baseball? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

I said a zillion meaningless regular season games put me to sleep but I admitted playoff baseball is better because each at bat is many times more important.

But hockey is still WAY better!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

When I was 21 I went with some friends up to Boston for st. Patrick's day. We started drinking on the 15th and stopped drinking on the 18th. I somewhat remember thinking at some point that I was about to die because of alcohol poisoning. Dumb shit thing to do for sure. Young and stupid tend to go hand in hand. I still feel bad for OT because even though he was 100% responsible for the results of his horrible decision, he'll never get the chance to look back on it and realize it was a horrible decision. If we're here to talk about it, that means we did get that chance.

End of the day I feel significantly worse for his girlfriend though she was also young and stupid for letting him drive in the first place.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

It's just an ugly situation. It doesn't really change my feelings on it, although I'm more disappointed than before, I guess. Obviously it's preventable. Obviously things could have changed. But it's a tragedy either way and even if alcohol wasn't involved, I'd still have SOME of the same questions (though the alcohol answers a lot of them now). Like glen said, OT can't look back on his mistake and realize what could have happened. Why people feel the need to drink and drive bothers me, especially athletes who can pay for a cab, a limo, a ride. But we all felt invincible at that age, at least I did. The hope now is that people can learn from this, sad as it is. It's really all we can do at this point.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

On a lighter note, Cards/Cubs opening up 2015 MLB season on Sunday April 5. That was just announced today.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Giancarlo Stanton is about to get PAID. And by the Marlins, surprisingly enough. And yet there will still be Cardinals fans trying to 'work' a deal out for him.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Yeah, this is an insane deal.

13 years/$325 mil

AND

full no trade clause

AND

an opt out

If Loria pulls a Loria and their terrible, but Stanton's value is still high, he can just say peace and go to a contender after taking a shit ton of money from the Marlins.

2 thoughts on it:

1. I'm surprised they gave him such a player-friendly deal a year before free agency while he hasn't seen a single pitch since being hit in the face. If he hit FA, I have a hard time seeing him get much better than this deal anyway, so why not wait until he's shown it's not an issue?

2. I don't think this is as bad of a contract as most are making it out to be. I think pretty much all of those megadeals have been bad, but he's only 25. This is taking him through his prime, not his decline like the others. His production is worth more than $25 mil today. So, if it's $25 mil every year, it's a discount for now. If they front-loaded it, baseball inflation will probably catch up at least part of the way before the end of the deal if he declines early. Year 13 of the deal he'll be 38.