OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Post by glen a richter »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:MLB doesn't want an I-70 World Series because they know no one outside Missouri will watch. The 85 Cards/Royals series was one of the lowest rated in baseball history!
Who invited this nob into a baseball discussion? Further, who invited this nob into LGB?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The only solace I can take in the last 2 nights is that I didn't get to (have to) see the Choate disastrous 10th and was only able to follow last night's shit show passingly. From the sound of it, Matheny outdid himself with some of his bullpen mismanagement.

We're obviously in bad shape, but heading into SF, I thought if we got 1 win and then brought the series back home that we could win.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:The only solace I can take in the last 2 nights is that I didn't get to (have to) see the Choate disastrous 10th and was only able to follow last night's shit show passingly. From the sound of it, Matheny outdid himself with some of his bullpen mismanagement.

We're obviously in bad shape, but heading into SF, I thought if we got 1 win and then brought the series back home that we could win.
I'm normally not one to jump on the manager, but Matheny was awful last night.

From not getting someone warming when Miller was clearly struggling, to letting Miller bat for himself and putting him out for 2 more outs in the 4th, to not getting Wacha in when it was clearly a long relief situation...he was just off everywhere. Bochy was managing circles around him. Case in point, Bochy yanked Vogelsong after 3 innings, got Petit in there, who shut down the Cards and halted any momentum. The Cardinals bats were silent the rest of the night after that. Momentum swung. Meanwhile, Matheny bungled just about everything, Giants took the lead and never looked back.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

If we can't use Wacha in spots like last night, why is he even on the roster? They did this with Miller last year and now Wacha this year. I don't understand why they keep wasting roster spots.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:If we can't use Wacha in spots like last night, why is he even on the roster? They did this with Miller last year and now Wacha this year. I don't understand why they keep wasting roster spots.

And Mujica last year too. So I guess the improvement is that we're only doing it with one bloke instead of two.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:If we can't use Wacha in spots like last night, why is he even on the roster? They did this with Miller last year and now Wacha this year. I don't understand why they keep wasting roster spots.

And Mujica last year too. So I guess the improvement is that we're only doing it with one bloke instead of two.
LOL Progress!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Call me nuts, I'm taking KC in 6.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

1. The Giants are 15-2 in their last 17 postseason games.

2. They have won 7 straight playoff series. (Now eight)

3. Manager Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a playoff series!

In light of all that I can't believe so many thought the Cards could beat that team. Even some commentators have said the Cards should send the Brewers a thank you card for collapsing at the end. If they didn't the Cards and Pirates would've been battling for the wild card.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:3. Manager Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a playoff series!
This is not true. Just off hand, he lost the 1998 World Series, the 2005 NLDS, and the 2006 NLDS (both to the Cards) as manager of the Padres. If you mean he hasn't lost a series as the Giants' manager, then I think that would be correct.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:3. Manager Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a playoff series!
This is not true. Just off hand, he lost the 1998 World Series, the 2005 NLDS, and the 2006 NLDS (both to the Cards) as manager of the Padres. If you mean he hasn't lost a series as the Giants' manager, then I think that would be correct.
Consider that the person spewing these "facts" is the self proclaimed hater of barfball. He just looked up some random stuff and got #3 incomplete. Proofreading is good, JNE.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:undefeated in Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a playoff series!
Ok, I stand corrected. Bochy with the Giants is undefeated in the post season. I just saw the Cards as totally overmatched from the start and I was right.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:1. The Giants are 15-2 in their last 17 postseason games.

2. They have won 7 straight playoff series. (Now eight)

3. Manager Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a playoff series!

In light of all that I can't believe so many thought the Cards could beat that team. Even some commentators have said the Cards should send the Brewers a thank you card for collapsing at the end. If they didn't the Cards and Pirates would've been battling for the wild card.
Maybe the Brewers should send us a thank you card for underachieving until September. Brewers were a joke. They were under .500 in 4 of 6 months.

We could have beaten the Giants. If we started a new 7 game series tonight, we might beat them. I think we're the better team, albeit barely. I know it only went 5 games, but I think this was a really close series. Game 1 is the only game that didn't feel like it could go either way. Games 2-5 were all really close and could have gone either way. If this were a Sharks board that you were trolling and the Cards won 3 of those 4 tight games, you'd be saying, "I can't believe so many thought the Giants could beat that team."

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not saying it was a blowout but the Giants had won 7 straight playoff series and manager Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a postseason series with the Giants. Not to mention they were 11-1 in their last 12 playoff games before the NLCS!

If any team can beat the red hot Royals it's the Giants.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I'm not saying it was a blowout but the Giants had won 7 straight playoff series and manager Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a postseason series with the Giants. Not to mention they were 11-1 in their last 12 playoff games before the NLCS!

The problem with those numbers is that those games happened in 2010 and 2012. The Cardinals meanwhile had made 4 straight NLCS and 2 WS in that time. Completely different teams. Yeah, the Giants have been good in the playoffs, but this wasn't the same team as in 2012 and that wasn't the same team as in 2010.

Why am I even discussing this with you?

Point being, the Cardinals had just as much of a chance as anyone to knock off the Giants because their postseason track record has been almost as good in the last 4 years. Never mind you that the Giants bottomed out in 2011 and 2013, didn't even make the playoffs. They weren't a good baseball team either of those years.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I'm not saying it was a blowout but the Giants had won 7 straight playoff series and manager Bruce Bochy has NEVER lost a postseason series with the Giants. Not to mention they were 11-1 in their last 12 playoff games before the NLCS!

The problem with those numbers is that those games happened in 2010 and 2012. The Cardinals meanwhile had made 4 straight NLCS and 2 WS in that time. Completely different teams. Yeah, the Giants have been good in the playoffs, but this wasn't the same team as in 2012 and that wasn't the same team as in 2010.

Why am I even discussing this with you?

Point being, the Cardinals had just as much of a chance as anyone to knock off the Giants because their postseason track record has been almost as good in the last 4 years. Never mind you that the Giants bottomed out in 2011 and 2013, didn't even make the playoffs. They weren't a good baseball team either of those years.
LOL, I've asked myself bolded midreply to him several times.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

It will be an interesting WS. The Royals went 7-1 versus the Cards and Giants this year... so there's nothing to suggest they aren't matched up well against either team.

I think Bochy is a good manager, clearly. I think Yost is a horse's ass.

I will tell you who wins the series after the Royals lose a game.

They are so hot right now, but I have no idea how this team would respond to a loss. They may move right past it and keep playing or they may throw in the towel. They are playing with house money and have been the entire playoffs.

There's ZERO pressure on the Royals in this WS. Nada. They have "over-achieved" and if they lose, no one will care or go after them like people would jump on any of the other teams who were "expected" to be in the WS. That makes them very dangerous.

People have said the Royals had no shot to beat the A's.. no chance against a "loaded" Angels team...no way they can beat the power hitting super bullpen Orioles... ya, they just kept winning. This is more of the same.

On a side note, I am glad your cards aren't in this series. It's way past time for you guys to sit and watch Kansas City rather than the other way around. This way you don't steal our headlines, lol.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Not true miles. Bochy's Giants have been a lot better. Bochy's Giants have 2 World Series titles while Matheny's Cards have ZERO. The Giants have repeatedly shown they know how to close a postseason out with a World Series win but Matheny hasn't. Bochy has NEVER lost a postseason series while Matheny has lost more than 1.

I knew if the Giants won just 1 game in St.Louis they would more than likely close out the series in SF and I was right.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Not true miles. Bochy's Giants have been a lot better. Bochy's Giants have 2 World Series titles while Matheny's Cards have ZERO. The Giants have repeatedly shown they know how to close a postseason out with a World Series win but Matheny hasn't. Bochy has NEVER lost a postseason series while Matheny has lost more than 1.

I knew if the Giants won just 1 game in St.Louis they would more than likely close out the series in SF and I was right.
Cardinals have made the NLCS 4 straight seasons, 3 of which have come under Matheny. The Giants missed the playoffs in 07, 08, 09 (Bochy's first 3 seasons), 2011 (after they won a title in 2010), and were 10 games under .500 and missed the playoffs in 2013 (a year after a title, as well). Meanwhile, the Cardinals have won 88, 97, and 90 games in the regular season under Matheny.

I get the Giants have won 2 titles, I'm not disputing that. My point is that the Cardinals haven't had the dips in success like the Giants do. Let's also not forget the Cardinals have made the playoffs 11 out of the last 14 years and 8 of those years were the NLCS or further. Giants can't match that. Cardinals run of success much longer and contains the same amount of titles that the Giants have.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Not true miles. Bochy's Giants have been a lot better. Bochy's Giants have 2 World Series titles while Matheny's Cards have ZERO. The Giants have repeatedly shown they know how to close a postseason out with a World Series win but Matheny hasn't. Bochy has NEVER lost a postseason series while Matheny has lost more than 1.

Just shut up, troll. Even everybody said that.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

dmiles2186 wrote: Cardinals have made the NLCS 4 straight seasons, 3 of which have come under Matheny. The Giants missed the playoffs in 07, 08, 09 (Bochy's first 3 seasons), 2011 (after they won a title in 2010), and were 10 games under .500 and missed the playoffs in 2013 (a year after a title, as well). Meanwhile, the Cardinals have won 88, 97, and 90 games in the regular season under Matheny.

I get the Giants have won 2 titles, I'm not disputing that. My point is that the Cardinals haven't had the dips in success like the Giants do. Let's also not forget the Cardinals have made the playoffs 11 out of the last 14 years and 8 of those years were the NLCS or further. Giants can't match that. Cardinals run of success much longer and contains the same amount of titles that the Giants have.
And my point is the Cardinals lost to the Giants in 5 games and are now playing golf or fishing. All the "post-season success" doesn't mean shit if you don't win the game in front of you. The Giants did, and now they are in the WS.

As far as "dips" in success... the cards have lost to the Giants in the NLCS in two of the last three years.

The only question that's left is who will win this year's WS, and clearly it won't be the Cards.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman