OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:LOL..you guys don't know what troll means. You simply throw it around because someone disagrees with you!
Let's consult the dictionary:
The Dictionary wrote: Troll
1. a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting.
You tend to only post to provoke. There's a difference between disagreeing and provoking. Using words like "borebirds" and "snoozebirds" is provoking, therefore you = troll.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:LOL..you guys don't know what troll means. You simply throw it around because someone disagrees with you!

All I'm saying is even in St.Louis when both teams are good the Rams clearly are bigger. If you were in St.Louis between 1999 and 2004 the Rams were bigger in every way than when the Cards won in 2006 and 2011. Bigger ratings, more media coverage, more fan interest, etc.

I'm not denying the Cards are big. No doubt they are #1 by far now but when the Rams were good they were clearly bigger.
There are people here that I disagree with frequently, but there is only 1 person here that I consider a troll.

If you don't like being called a troll, maybe you should stop trolling.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

You guys don't like FACTS do you?

You could've taken a poll from 99-2004 when the Rams were good and asked the metro area of about 2.8 million people which team do you prefer, the Rams or Cards? The Rams wouldve won hands down. Now of course the Cards would win.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:You guys don't like FACTS do you?

You could've taken a poll from 99-2004 when the Rams were good and asked the metro area of about 2.8 million people which team do you prefer, the Rams or Cards? The Rams wouldve won hands down. Now of course the Cards would win.
What you're saying may be true, but that's an assumption, not a fact.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Here are some more FACTS for you barfball fans.

The Cards game on Sunday has been scheduled for almost a YEAR at 1:15 pm but they just changed it to 7:05 pm so they don't clash with the Rams/Cowboys game. They know even an awful team like the Rams will get a lot more viewers and attention than watching a bunch of guys stand still in a field 95% of the time!

Your argument about NFL only playing once a week holds no water because the NFL is bigger in every way. Ratings, revenue, merchandise sales, TV contract, etc.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Here are some more FACTS for you barfball fans.

The Cards game on Sunday has been scheduled for almost a YEAR at 1:15 pm but they just changed it to 7:05 pm so they don't clash with the Rams/Cowboys game. They know even an awful team like the Rams will get a lot more viewers and attention than watching a bunch of guys stand still in a field 95% of the time!

Your argument about NFL only playing once a week holds no water because the NFL is bigger in every way. Ratings, revenue, merchandise sales, TV contract, etc.
Troll.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Cards game on Sunday has been scheduled for almost a year at 1:15 pm but they just changed it to 7:05 pm so they don't clash with the Rams/Cowboys game. They know even an awful team like the Rams will get a lot more viewers and attention.

Non-troll version.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Here are some more FACTS for you barfball fans.

A game moved to 7:05 on Sunday evening, when it's the only baseball game going on in the league, means that ESPN picked it up as it's Sunday Night Baseball matchup. FACTS.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Here's some facts for you, jne. We like baseball, you don't. We like the Blues, you don't. You have an agenda to make everyone agree with you and to treat those who don't as though they were idiots, we don't. It might be safe to say you have zero allies here. I admire your persistence, but your attitude towards everyone isn't winning you any support. It's one thing to believe strongly in the argument you're making and entirely another to belittle everyone while making that argument. Frankly you act like a 10 year old 100% of the time.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Neshek made things interesting last night, but magic number down to 2. Could rap things up today.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:You guys don't like FACTS do you?

Wow.
In no way shape or form would the Rams ever have won a poll against the Cardinals. That's just an asinine statement. Just because you don't like baseball, doesn't mean most folks in St. Louis don't like baseball. I feel weird having to say that. Everyone in the world knows St. Louis is a baseball town.

Yes, the Rams were a blast to watch during that era. But the Cardinals have ALWAYS drawn tons of fans. Always. Win or lose, the passion for Cardinals baseball is always here...always. The Rams can't fill the building when they are losing. We've already lost one football team and could be losing another. Great football town we have here. :roll:

This town is a baseball town first and foremost. Always has been, always will be.
Far too many of the "Rams fans" in this town are fairweather. They are "fans" when the team is good, and they don't really care when they suck.

And the Blues fans in town are far more loyal, passionate and supportive then Rams fans have ever been.

I can't think of a more trolling, idiotic statement ever made in the history of St. Louis discussion forums than the one you just made.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I figured everyone knew St. Louis was a baseball town. Hell, for the longest time the Cards were the only mlb team with a winning world series record against the storied Yankees. Florida and Arizona can also claim that now, but they don't have even a fraction of the history of the Cards and they never will. The redbirds ARE St. Louis before anyone else no matter what. Even everyone said that.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

The Rams sold out every single game they played in St. Louis from 1995 until an 0-8 start in 2007. The fan base continues to show up despite recently witnessing the worst five-year stretch in the history of the NFL, a stretch in which the team won seven home games in five years.

I have lived in St.Louis since the Big Red were here. I was here when they the Rams were in their glory days from 99-2004 and they clearly had more of the city transfixed and glued to them than the Cardinals even had in their world series years. Plus I have been in St.Louis my whole life and met dozens of people who don't even like baseball. The NFL is clearly a far bigger sport so naturally they'll have a bigger following when the Rams are good.

Another crucial fact even many St.Louisans don't know. There was a study done on fans at Busch and a staggering 1/4 to 1/3 of the fans were from out of the area and out of state! There are about 8 states that make up Cardinal nation. Many license plates of Cards fans are out of state.

Don't forget baseball ratings have collapsed since the 70s and 80s and even Jack Buck admitted a few years ago the games are too slow and take too long. Even Sports Illustrated said baseball has become a regional sport. I also heard a local sports commentator say the Rams playoff games got higher ratings than even Cardinal world series games! He was talking about the LOCAL market!

Unless someone did a study or took a poll back then there is really no way to decide this. However if that ratings claim can be corroborated then there is no doubt the Rams were bigger!
Last edited by JesusNEVERexisted on Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cardsfan04 wrote:Neshek made things interesting last night, but magic number down to 2. Could rap things up today.
Rapping things up, it is!

[youtube][/youtube]
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ComradeT wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Neshek made things interesting last night, but magic number down to 2. Could rap things up today.
Rapping things up, it is!

[youtube][/youtube]
LOL!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WINNERS!

Unfortunately for me, I made a bet in June that we would win 90 games. So, of course we clinch the division before game time today and pulled 6 starters while stuck on 89 wins.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:WINNERS!

Unfortunately for me, I made a bet in June that we would win 90 games. So, of course we clinch the division before game time today and pulled 6 starters while stuck on 89 wins.
Congrats to you! It all worked out.

Also, I have no idea how this team is Central Division champs.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Its nice to see Kansas City back after all these years even if its just a wild card game. Also kudos to Pittsburgh on not being a one season wonder. Both teams are looking up, which is a nice change.

Sorry for St. Louis because there are no Cardinals fans in the world, right jne? CardinalsFansNEVERexisted?

As for my playoff prediction: a repeat of the 1985 world series with the same outcome.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:WINNERS!

Congrats to you! It all worked out.

Also, I have no idea how this team is Central Division champs.
TY:)

Yeah, it's kinda amazing that we are given the issues we had. Yadi down for 6 weeks. Wacha missing 1/2 the season. Craig completely forgetting how to hit. The rest of the offense sputtering for so long.

Heading into the season I thought the Reds and Cards were the best 2 teams. Reds were decimated by injuries this year and don't have the minor league depth that we do to make up for it. If they had stayed healthy, I think they might have been able to win it. The Brewers had a really hot April and June, but had a losing record in the other 4 months. I think them staying in first for 150 days is as much a testament to Reds/Cards issues as anything. Pirates surprised me down the stretch. I thought they were a decent team, but they really came on strong and overcame their own adversity (mainly McCutchen missing time).

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Playoffs are here!!!!

That KC-Oakland game was insane. Reminds me of Game 6 a few years ago. I didn't really care who won that game, but I wanted whoever won to win the pennant. So, I guess, Go Royals!

I'm really nervous about this series against the Dodgers though. I'd much rather face Kershaw twice in a 7 game series than a 5 game series. That said, while Kershaw is better than Waino, I don't think anybody would (or should anyway) be surprised if Waino put up zeroes. Kershaw is better over the course of a season, but if there's a pitcher in the game up to the challenge of matching him in a single game, it's Waino. If we win game 1, I think we win the series.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Rams sold out every single game they played in St. Louis from 1995 until an 0-8 start in 2007. The fan base continues to show up despite recently witnessing the worst five-year stretch in the history of the NFL, a stretch in which the team won seven home games in five years.
Not really.
FOX2 and some sponsors, bought up thousands of unsold tickets so the games could be televised. They did this a lot.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I have lived in St.Louis since the Big Red were here.
So have I.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I was here when they the Rams were in their glory days from 99-2004
So was I.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:and they clearly had more of the city transfixed and glued to them than the Cardinals even had in their world series years.
Nope. Wrong.
Just because you feel that way, doesn't make it true.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Plus I have been in St.Louis my whole life
You already said that.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:and met dozens of people who don't even like baseball.
Ohhh.... dozens? Wow. Say it isn't so.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The NFL is clearly a far bigger sport so naturally they'll have a bigger following when the Rams are good.
St. Louis is a baseball town. How many times does this need to be said before it sinks in? Opening day is an honest to God religion here. The playoff atmosphere is crazy...you can smell it. EVERYONE downtown is wearing red on playoff game days.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Another crucial fact even many St.Louisans don't know. There was a study done on fans at Busch and a staggering 1/4 to 1/3 of the fans were from out of the area and out of state! There are about 8 states that make up Cardinal nation. Many license plates of Cards fans are out of state.
Everyone knows that.
Cardinal nation stretches far and wide because at one time, the Cardinals were the farthest west team and KMOX could reach half of the country.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Don't forget baseball ratings have collapsed since the 70s and 80s and even Jack Buck admitted a few years ago the games are too slow and take too long. Even Sports Illustrated said baseball has become a regional sport. I also heard a local sports commentator say the Rams playoff games got higher ratings than even Cardinal world series games! He was talking about the LOCAL market!
I don't have the ratings in front of me. But St. Louis had never had a great football team. Except for a few decent years, the Cardinals were losers year in and year out...never came close to winning a super bowl. That Rams team came out of nowhere and dominated with an exciting brand of football like the NFL had never seen before. It was a cinderella story...and a great one. So if the Rams had better ratings than the Cardinals over that five year span, I wouldn't be that suprised. But it took an amazing football team that put up amazing numbers and played an exciting style of football to do that. It's quite possible that this town was swept off their feet by the Rams. But once the Rams came crashing back down to earth, who regained the top spot in town? Yup. The Cardinals.

You can't single out a 5 year span and use that to supercede the 100+ years of dominance the baseball Cardinals have had here and say St. Louis is a football town and not a baseball town.
What about the years before and since?
What about now?
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:]Unless someone did a study or took a poll back then there is really no way to decide this.
Yes there is.
Any honest person who lives in or around St. Louis can tell you it is a baseball town first. And maybe a few years the Rams were the darlings of the town, but it took an unbelievable team doing unreal things to accomplish that...and when that went away, the interest in the Rams faded quick.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:However if that ratings claim can be corroborated then there is no doubt the Rams were bigger!
And? So what? The Steamers were bigger than the Blues for a couple years back in the 80's. They outdrew the Blues in the stands and more folks watched on tv.
And what happened in that case smart guy?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/