Spring Training Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Spring Training Thread

Post by cardsfan04 »

I figure a few games into ST it's probably about time to retire the offseason thread.

After a few games:

-Martinez looked really good other than giving up a 2R HR.
-Wacha was pretty bad in his first inning (but didn't allow a run) and pitched well in his 2nd inning (or 2/3 of an inning, that is).
-Kelly was bad today.
-Peralta hit 2HRs today, but apparently there was a ridiculous amount of wind which helped lazy fly balls get over the wall.
-Wong didn't look good in his first game. I haven't seen him since. I really really hope he pans out.
-We are in the market for Alemdys Diaz, Cuban SS defector. It sounds like he was overhyped though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Spring Training Thread

Post by dmiles2186 »

So from all the stuff online I've seen, this Diaz signing is being questioned a bit, eh?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Yeah, I'm pretty lukewarm on it at this point, but definitely not upset. He was originally hyped a lot, but the Yankees decided to not even make him an offer when they saw him work out and they have an upcoming need at SS. I trust our scouting department more than theirs, but that's a red flag. There is also another scout that works exclusively in Cuba (don't remember where I saw this) that said that scouts that he was familiar with unanimously agreed he wouldn't be a big ML prospect. He's a AA, MAYBE AAA player right now. So, a 4 year deal at 5-7 mil/year is a bit much.

THAT SAID, I don't care how much we pay anybody so long as it doesn't impact our ability to fill other needs. I trust our FO wouldn't have done this if it would have prevented us from making other moves in the future. They could pay every minor leaguer $5 mil/year for all I care even though that's not market value, so long as it doesn't impact our ability to acquire and retain major league talent. So, the way I see it, they made a very expensive depth signing. I don't really have high hopes for him though.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Now I'm hearing it's only $8 mil total, so $2mil AAV. I'm was OK with it before, but now I really like it.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Now I'm hearing it's only $8 mil total, so $2mil AAV. I'm was OK with it before, but now I really like it.
Yeah, after I posted that, I saw the numbers and that's not bad at all. I had heard the deal would be 4 yr/20 mil range. 4 yr/8 mil isn't bad at all. Even if he ends up just being a utility infielder, that's not breaking the bank.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Wong continues to rake. Hit another HR today. I mean, it's ST, but I'd rather have him confident going into the season than the alternative.