World Cup 2014

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

This is Donovan's last chance. His World Cup career is over because he won't be there in 4 years!

Running teams into the ground is a very dubious strategy. There are many teams in the world who are in just as good if not better shape than the U.S.!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

When is this nonsense over?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:When is this nonsense over?
July 13, my birthday! Unfortunately, my wife didn't know and therefore did not give me a trip to the final as a present. And I am too cheap to do this myself. That's a fuckton of dough to drop on one trip.

Anyway, Spain was gifted a penalty today but wasn't nearly as good as Brazil and its luck ran out then and there. What a goal by RVP!!!

[youtube][/youtube]
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ComradeT wrote:
glen a richter wrote:When is this nonsense over?
July 13, my birthday! Unfortunately, my wife didn't know and therefore did not give me a trip to the final as a present. And I am too cheap to do this myself. That's a (Frank) of dough to drop on one trip.

Anyway, Spain was gifted a penalty today but wasn't nearly as good as Brazil and its luck ran out then and there. What a goal by RVP!!!

[youtube][/youtube]
And that pass was sensational!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Comrade and dmiles, it says that video has been removed by the user.

The game of the day is England vs Italy at 5 pm.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Comrade and dmiles, it says that video has been removed by the user.

Yeah, and making that England/Italy match even more interesting is that the apparently the field is garbage. They've apparently spray painted the pitch green. This was the stadium that had to bring all the supplies in by ship because it's not easily accessed by road. So yeah, that was a great plan.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Comrade and dmiles, it says that video has been removed by the user.

Yeah, and making that England/Italy match even more interesting is that the apparently the field is garbage. They've apparently spray painted the pitch green. This was the stadium that had to bring all the supplies in by ship because it's not easily accessed by road. So yeah, that was a great plan.
Yeah, definitely some brown patches on that field. Didn't stop the game from being pretty fast flowing until about the 60th minute when both teams ran out of gas. Italians still have the class, ball control and passing. English are starting to show some skill but too damn disjointed and seem to have no idea how to get into the box. None whatsoever. My guess is they new Uruguay lost to Costa Rica and were thinking draw or a small loss is ok as long as they beat URU and CRO... Both of which could be a tall task. This group just became very very interesting.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

England fans stayed up till 1 am but I think they're used to being disappointed.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:England fans stayed up till 1 am but I think they're used to being disappointed.
Yes, the perils of being the English football fan. The result was disappointing, true. However, they showed signs of much better play than they did before. The Liverpool youngsters are looking good but they need a better goalie and better central mid. Italians midfielders still have much better touch and pass, and in this heat, English can't even try to outrun or outpower anyone.

I didn't expect Honduras to play so tough. I expected them to lose but not lose their heads. And - finally - the controversy! The refs would have surely ruled that a no-goal but technology ruled otherwise. So now we can talk about how the technology is unreliable, bad, etc. Funny thing is that the ball was not going in until the Honduran goalie interfered. Good for France to get a win though, they needed it to shake the curse.

Pretty good game from Switzerland and Ecuador, to the bitter end. I like the Swiss attack but they are too open at the back and a better team would carve them open easily. And pity Ibicevic wasn't on the field the whole game vs. Argentina. Dzeko was stifled and couldn't do much as a lone forward but with our SLU boy they would be a lot more dangerous up front. And he scored as soon as he got on the field. Go Billikens!!

US Ghana tomorrow at 5 pm. Time to end this jinx.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Good games abound today.

Germany vs. Portugal
Iran vs. Nigeria
U.S. vs. Ghana

Remember when Iran beat the U.S.?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I have been waiting on today for 4 years. Let's go!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

dmiles2186 wrote:I have been waiting on today for 4 years. Let's go!
You mean just for the U.S. game? Or Germany/Portugal too?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
The US specifically. I follow the US national team about as closely as I follow the Blues. Ever since we lost to Ghana in 2010, the countdown started. The fact that we drew Ghana to start our first game just adds fuel to the fire.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
The US specifically. I follow the US national team about as closely as I follow the Blues. Ever since we lost to Ghana in 2010, the countdown started. The fact that we drew Ghana to start our first game just adds fuel to the fire.

BIG ASS TITTIES !!!

Ghana are a bunch of dirty dickbags though
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

WHAT A (Franking) GAME!!!

USA!!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

(Frank) YES MOTHER (Frankers)! (Frank) GHANA!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

It was a good game and definitely had exciting moments and the men's and women's World Cup is the only soccer I follow. Yet compare this to the Stanley Cup Playoffs that just finished.

Hockey is so much more exciting it's not even funny! I know hockey will never be as popular because it's a lot more difficult to play.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Great game! Got a bit slow around the start of the 2nd half. But as soon as my wife said "this game is king of boring, isn't it?", BOOM! Ghana scored. Then BOOM, US scored. And then they hold on for their lives.

Not to bring up negatives but Altidore's injury looked pretty bad, Besler's didn't look too good either, and both Bedoya and Cameron were limping around. While Brooks seems to be an ok replacement for Besler (not good, ok), losing Josy would be a big bad problem.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

ComradeT wrote:Great game! Got a bit slow around the start of the 2nd half. But as soon as my wife said "this game is king of boring, isn't it?", BOOM! Ghana scored. Then BOOM, US scored. And then they hold on for their lives.

Not to bring up negatives but Altidore's injury looked pretty bad, Besler's didn't look too good either, and both Bedoya and Cameron were limping around. While Brooks seems to be an ok replacement for Besler (not good, ok), losing Josy would be a big bad problem.
Donovan should be on the bench at least as an injury replacement right? Could Donovan still show up or rosters can't be changed now?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:It was a good game and definitely had exciting moments and the men's and women's World Cup is the only soccer I follow. Yet compare this to the Stanley Cup Playoffs that just finished.

Hockey is so much more exciting it's not even funny! I know hockey will never be as popular because it's a lot more difficult to play.
I love hockey more than any other sport, but the stakes in the World Cup are infinitely higher. This is a global tournament, it happens once every 4 years. Had the US lost that game, just one game after 4 years of waiting, their World Cup hopes would have essentially been dashed.