World Cup 2014

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Messi sucks. I don't see what's so great about him. He missed the net so many times including shooting the ball over the net by 10 feet on the last play of the game!
In 277 appearances with Barcelona (one of the best club teams in the world), he has 243 goals. In 93 international appearances, he has 42 goals. In 2011-2012 alone, in all competitions, he had 73 goals.

That is the definition of great.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Misc. Blues wrote:Messi is the best active player in the world period. You don't know squat about the game to say he sucks. Barcalona doesn't pay him around $350K a week because he sucks. He's pure class when it comes to football.
Dude, he couldn't even score the last 2 to 3 games! How many times did he miss the net completely? I am not talking about club soccer.

Even Ian Drake on ABC said Messi would be judged very harshly after this game. I can't believe people compared him to Maradona. It's not even close! Maradona was on another level!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:Messi is the best active player in the world period. You don't know squat about the game to say he sucks. Barcalona doesn't pay him around $350K a week because he sucks. He's pure class when it comes to football.
Dude, he couldn't even score the last 2 to 3 games! How many times did he miss the net completely? I am not talking about club soccer.

Even Ian Drake on ABC said Messi would be judged very harshly after this game. I can't believe people compared him to Maradona. It's not even close! Maradona was on another level!
Messi should start shooting up coke, maybe then people will sing the Maradona-like praise to him. Diego was using PED's, plain and simple. Unproven, since no one bothered to check, but it's clear as daylight given his post-soccer addiction-ridden life.

Also, did you know that Maradona did not score a single goal in the final game of the 1986 world cup that Argentina won? He had one assist, but for the pass to become an assist the other guy has to score. Well, Messi put so many balls for his forwards to snatch onto in the box and they either coughed the ball up or missed the net. Higuain, for his part, even had a perfect pass from Toni Kroos of Germany to go one-on-one. What did he do? Put it wide. Best player or not, you can't win if the rest of your team refuses to help you.

And "even Ian Darke" can eat horse shit. What has he ever done to judge the sport's greatest player. And where would Ian Darke be right now if not for guys like Messi who continue to make soccer the most watched sport in the world.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

So Messi isn't Pele either so that is just stupid. Ian who? Yeah that's how much he knows. Gareth Bale is probably the 4-5th best player in the World and will never win a World Cup because he's Welsh (Wales) he must suck too. Christiano Ronaldo (2nd best in the World) didn't even make it out of the group stages he must really suck. Maradona had no goals in his last World Cup so he's no better than Messi he must suck as well according to your logic. Which German striker scored in the World Cup final this year? None did Gotze is a midfield player and a sub with fresh legs. Don't me wrong I think Gotze is a star in the making. Most stars don't score in a final. The best teams mark the best players. Every time Messi touched the ball he was closed down by not 1 not 2 but 3 players on most occasions because they know what he can do at any given moment. In the World there is Messi and then everyone else. Teams are of 11 not teams of one.
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Ok I see what you guys are saying but just like millions of other Americans I only see soccer every 2 years, the men's and women's World Cups.

Maybe Messi and Ronaldo are world beaters in club soccer but neither impressed me much in the WC. You know who impressed me? Klose for Germany. 16 World Cup goals make him the ALL TIME WC scoring leader beating Brazilian Ronaldo!

All the more amazing that Klose is 36. Klinsmann should really 2nd guess leaving out Donovan at 32. I still say he would've gotten the goal Wondo missed!

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Ok I see what you guys are saying but just like millions of other Americans I only see soccer every 2 years, the men's and women's World Cups.

Maybe Messi and Ronaldo are world beaters in club soccer but neither impressed me much in the WC. You know who impressed me? Klose for Germany. 16 World Cup goals make him the ALL TIME WC scoring leader beating Brazilian Ronaldo!

All the more amazing that Klose is 36. Klinsmann should really 2nd guess leaving out Donovan at 32. I still say he would've gotten the goal Wondo missed!
Dude, I love Landon and all he's done for the U.S. soccer and you might be right that given the chance he would have put that ball away. But, there's one thing Klose (36) didn't do that Donovan (32) did, and that was taking a freaking sabbatical. That sabbatical alone tells any coach (and especially a coach like Klinsmann who's handled his fair share of talented players and was one himself) that the dude's heart is not in the right place and he may quit at his own whim whenever his left foot itches some special way. Klose doesn't quit and he is in amazing shape for his age. Same cannot be said of Donovan. Surely, he could be the super sub for the US but then again, Julian Green already was that super sub (at 19, mind you). The only pity is that he didn't see more playing time, and Wondo did instead.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Ok I see what you guys are saying but just like millions of other Americans I only see soccer every 2 years, the men's and women's World Cups.
If that's the case, maybe you should hold back on criticizing one of the greatest players in the world. It's no different from a casual hockey fan tuning in and seeing Sidney Crosby struggle this postseason and then surmises that he sucks. No, he doesn't. He just happened to when a lot of eyeballs were on him.

And I agree about Landon. There's no way the argument, 'I'm sure Landon could have scored that goal had he had the chance!' can be proven right or wrong, so it's completely moot. He might have. He might not have. Like Comrade said, Landon checking out for awhile hurt his case. And while I support his right to do so (being the face of US soccer for over a decade can weigh on a person), you have to realize that can impact your standing on the team going forward.

Ultimately, the way it all played out, I think leaving Landon off will help the team down the line. We got out of the Group of Death without him, while many said we couldn't. We gave Portugal and Belgium all they could handle. Our team and our fans (American Outlaws, mostly) made a huge impression on an international scale. The world is starting to take note that the Americans are coming.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star