RIP Junior Seau

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

RIP Junior Seau

Post by cardsfan04 »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78827 ... be-suicide
OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- Former NFL star Junior Seau was found dead at his home Wednesday, authorities said.

Police Lt. Karen Laser confirmed the death and U-T San Diego reported that a 911 call came from the home at 10 a.m.

Wow shocked right now, I tapped Juniors picture every single day before heading out to practice at USC. R.I.P. to a legend n awesome person.
” -- Texans LB Brian Cushing on Junior Seau

Oceanside police chief Frank McCoy said Wednesday afternoon that a woman who identified herself as Seau's girlfriend said she discovered Seau with a gunshot wound to his chest. The spokesman said police found a handgun near Seau and the incident is being investigated as a suicide.

Seau was a standout linebacker with the University of Southern California before going to the San Diego Chargers, whom he led to the Super Bowl following the 1994 season.

"Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now. We ask everyone to stop what they're doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family," the team said in a statement.

Seau remained with the Chargers until 2003 and went on to play with the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots before retiring after the 2009 season.

Seau's death sent ripples throughout the sports world.

"Wow shocked right now, I tapped Juniors picture every single day before heading out to practice at USC. R.I.P. to a legend n awesome person," Texans linebacker and fellow USC alumnus Brian Cushing wrote on his Facebook page.

In October 2010, Seau survived a 100-foot plunge down a seaside cliff in his SUV, hours after he was arrested for investigation of domestic violence at the Oceanside home he shared with his girlfriend. The woman had told authorities that Seau assaulted her during an argument.

There was no evidence of drugs or alcohol involved in the crash and Seau told authorities he fell asleep while driving. He sustained minor injuries.

Seau spent parts of 20 seasons in the NFL, including 1990-2002 with his hometown Chargers. He led them to their only Super Bowl appearance, was voted to a team-record 12 straight Pro Bowls and was an All-Pro six times.

He amassed 545 tackles, 56½ sacks and 18 interceptions in his career.

"Twenty years, to be part of this kind of fraternity, to be able to go out and play the game that you love, and all the lessons and the friends and acquaintances which you meet along the way, you can't be in a better arena," Seau said last August after the Chargers announced he would be inducted into the team's Hall of Fame.

Seau was with the Chargers from 1990, when he was the fifth pick overall in the draft out of Southern California, until being traded to the Miami Dolphins after the 2002 season. He came out of retirement a few times to play with the Patriots in search of a Super Bowl ring and was with the team when they lost to the New York Giants in the Super Bowl following the 2007 season, which ended New England's quest for a perfect season.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: RIP Junior Seau

Post by DaDitka »

People around him should have seen the signs.

I mean did anyone believe he actually 'fell asleep when he rove his car off a cliff in 2010?

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

DaDitka wrote:People around him should have seen the signs.

I mean did anyone believe he actually 'fell asleep when he rove his car off a cliff in 2010?
I saw an interview with Marcelus Whiley on ESPN. He's an ESPN analyst but was Seau's teammate with the Chargers in 2001-2002. He said he called Jr. after that incident, told him to be straight with him, Jr. said he fell asleep. But Whiley also said he was the type of person who would internalize anything, not let you know anything was going on.

Seeing Seau's mother begging God to take her instead of her son what absolutely gut wrenching.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Here is an interesting article...

*edit
RIP Junior :(
Junior Seau Is Dead
By Ta-Nehisi Coates

May 2 2012, 4:36 PM ET 196

[optional image description]
AP Images

Oh man:

Junior Seau, regarded as one of the N.F.L.'s best linebackers over a 20-year career with the San Diego Chargers, the Miami Dolphins and the New England Patriots, died of a gunshot wound to the chest Wednesday at his home in Oceanside, Calif. He was 43. The Oceanside police said Seau's death was being investigated as a suicide.

He was found by his girlfriend in a bedroom of his beachfront house Wednesday morning, and a handgun was found near the body, the police said.

This comes on the day Jonathan Vilma was suspended for a year. The general sense among a lot of players is that Vilma got a raw deal. What's fairly clear to me is that football and its surrounding apparatus--the players, the big media, the NFL--aren't really ready to think about all that brain injuies might mean.

Perhaps it's too much to expect them too. Malcolm Gladwell puts the responsibility right where it belongs:

Slate: Should the NFL be banned too?

Gladwell: As long as the risks are explicit, the players warned, and those injured properly compensated, then I'm not sure we can stop people from playing. A better question is whether it is ethical to WATCH football. That's a harder question.

I'm not so sure that it's hard at all. The answer, at least for those displeased with pro football's response, seems pretty clear. Doing the damn thing is the hard part.

I now know that I have to go. I have known it for a while now. But I have yet to walk away. For me, the hardest portion is living apart--destroying something that binds me to friends and family. With people whom I would not pass another words, I can debate the greatest running back of all time. It's like losing a language.

UPDATE: I was just listening to Chris Berman's response to Seau's death in which he said:

No one will ever know what happened on the football field that may have caused what happened today. We have no idea....

I cut it off once Berman started discussing what Seau meant to a defense. I understand. That's his job. But listening to this made me ill. When Berman started in on tactics, I had that old feeling of Lost Causers discussing "tactics" and flanking at Petersburg and Shiloh.

I'm not here to dictate other people's morality. I'm certainly not here to call for banning of the risky activities of consenting adults. And my moral calculus is my own. Surely it is a man's right to endanger his body, and just as it is my right to decline to watch. The actions of everyone in between are not my consideration.

I'm out.