Rams Stadium Negotiations

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Rams Stadium Negotiations

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

You guys are all correct with those points but the NFL has bent the rules before. Remember these are billionaires and billionaires usually get what they want.

I agree Kroenke can't just board his private jet and fly to LA taking the Rams with him. But if he REALLY wants to he could probably convince the owners and the NFL to do it.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:You guys are all correct with those points but the NFL has bent the rules before. Remember these are billionaires and billionaires usually get what they want.

I agree Kroenke can't just board his private jet and fly to LA taking the Rams with him. But if he REALLY wants to he could probably convince the owners and the NFL to do it.
Maybe, but from what I've read, the other owners aren't happy that Kroenke hasn't settled his cross ownership issues yet. Remember, he owns 3 teams in the Denver area (Avs, Nuggets, Rapids), but part of owning an NFL team means you can't own teams in other sports in other markets. The NFL relaxed those for Kroenke with an agreement that he would settle that, the plan being transferring ownership to his son. That hasn't quite happened yet and Kroenke just got an extension on that. Maybe I'm being naive, but I wonder how many owners hold that against him and wouldn't go in on bending the rules for him since he's already had the rules bent for him in another area.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

You've heard of the billionaires club? They're in it and we're not and they usually get what they want. I'm not saying it's a done deal but if Kranky REALLY wants to go to LA he'll likely get there somehow! Even if he has to sell the Rams and take a different team to LA.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Why take the Rams back to LA at all? There was never a large amount of support for the Rams, even when they were a decent team there. If they move the Rams, it should be to some place with the infrastructure (Read: Stadium) already built and a fan base that wants a team. LA doesn't want the Rams back. They want the money, though.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Did you see all the Rams fans that showed up in San Diego when the Rams played there? There were a lot plus the LA metro area is many millions bigger and a LOT richer. Imagine how many luxury suites ol Kranky would sell over there!

It's safe to say many fans in LA want NFL football back. The question is will they stick around long term if the team keeps sucking.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm surprised that schmuck commissioner isn't lobbying for them to move to London.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:You guys are all correct with those points but the NFL has bent the rules before. Remember these are billionaires and billionaires usually get what they want.

Maybe, but from what I've read, the other owners aren't happy that Kroenke hasn't settled his cross ownership issues yet. Remember, he owns 3 teams in the Denver area (Avs, Nuggets, Rapids), but part of owning an NFL team means you can't own teams in other sports in other markets. The NFL relaxed those for Kroenke with an agreement that he would settle that, the plan being transferring ownership to his son. That hasn't quite happened yet and Kroenke just got an extension on that. Maybe I'm being naive, but I wonder how many owners hold that against him and wouldn't go in on bending the rules for him since he's already had the rules bent for him in another area.
This is a big part of what is giving me hope. They would have to bend rules for him, which bodes well for STL for a few reasons:

1. I've heard they aren't happy with him. I don't know exactly to what extent or how relevant it is regarding potentially moving the team. But, it's something.
2. San Diego has been trying to get a stadium deal for a lot longer. It also is a much smaller transplant giving current fans access to the team. If they were on the fence about bending rules, San Diego might push them back off.
3. Back when the Raiders moved back to Oakland, the NFL tried to stop it. The court ruled that the NFL could regulate teams moving, but only if there were rules in place. There are rules in place now. I don't think the NFL will be eager to tempt fate by not following those rules. The NFL has a lot of sway in this country, but the federal government is the one entity it doesn't want to tango with.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

glen a richter wrote:I'm surprised that schmuck commissioner isn't lobbying for them to move to London.
That's coming too. Just wait. 2 teams in LA and 1 in London.

The London Rams. :lol:

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

WORST NEWS CONFIRMED FOR RAMS FANS! Big news this morning on the local news here and in LA! Kroenke has confirmed he wants to build a stadium in LA and move the Rams there. They are already saying how many people will show up at Rams games next year with Rams having a foot and a half out the door? They also said the rules don't really matter because NFL owners get what they want. They noted how the owner of the Colts left Baltimore in the middle of the night despite everything Baltimore did!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp ... tml#page=1

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

We will see how this plays out. Obviously it's not great news, but this is happening right before the city of STL announces their proposal. To me, it's Kroenke firing the first shot. I also have seen some speculation that STL's proposal is going to be proving they're a viable NFL city, meaning even if the Rams leave, the Rams have plans to try to court other teams or an expansion, etc. I could definitely see the Jaguars ending up here, what with the Shad Khan connection and all. It's still a long way to play this all out. This doesn't mean LA has a franchise...yet.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Just listen to local radio this morning. They're already saying they're gone and even if they play here in 2015 who will go to games knowing they're leaving?

I know Godell said the Rams are staying in 2015 but stranger things have happened. Any way you look at it it's highly unlikely they stay in St.Louis long term. Billionaires get what they want.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

No decision has been made yet. For you to suggest otherwise is the problem with everyone jumping ahead. This is how these things work. This may just be fluff but here is what Inglewood's mayor said earlier today:

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/S ... ewood.aspx
"He's excited about it and we're excited to see where this goes," Butts told CBS Los Angeles.

But when asked if Kroenke said it was his plan to move the Rams to Inglewood, Butts said "he said nothing of the sort. This is stricly a real estate development proposal."
Another scenario I could see is that Kroenke does this, get his own (expansion) team in LA and sells the Rams to someone who will keep them in STL.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Listen to the talk all over town.

Just listen to media all over St.Louis and they are already calling them the lame duck Rams since they are playing with a foot out the door. They already said they won't even get 50K per game at the dome next year due to being lame ducks.

Local journalist Ray Hartman says they are already gone. You can listen to him and the panel on Donnybrook at 7pm on Thursday on Channel 9.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Listen to the talk all over town.

Just listen to media all over St.Louis and they are already calling them the lame duck Rams since they are playing with a foot out the door. They already said they won't even get 50K per game at the dome next year due to being lame ducks.

Local journalist Ray Hartman says they are already gone. You can listen to him and the panel on Donnybrook at 7pm on Thursday on Channel 9.
I don't care what the STL media says. You are not understanding my point or how this is playing out. This is one really expensive poker game. Kroenke just trumped STL and laid some of his cards on the table. Now it's STL's turn to counter. I'm not naive enough to think the Rams won't leave, it's definitely a possibility. But to say they are definitely gone is incorrect. These things drag out forever. If Kroenke gets another sweetheart deal from STL that fattens his pockets more than he'd get in LA? He's going to take that.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Mike Claiborne and Mark Reardon were both just on KMOX and they said they're as good as gone. Reardon is not a sports guy but Claiborne is and is very well respected.

Miles, I agree it's not a done deal but to use a football analogy it's 4th and long!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Mike Claiborne and Mark Reardon were both just on KMOX and they said they're as good as gone. Reardon is not a sports guy but Claiborne is and is very well respected.

Miles, I agree it's not a done deal but to use a football analogy it's 4th and long!
Everyone and their brother thought St. Louis was getting the Jaguars franchise and then they were awarded to Jacksonville.

It was also thought that the Patriots would come here, but it was just a ploy to get a new stadium.

The Coyotes were doing to be moved, it was a done deal...and then they stayed.

It doesn't look good, no doubt...but I wouldn't be shocked if they got the new stadium proposal from St. Louis and stayed.
What makes me question this is the idea that there will be no public funding from LA for the new stadium that Kroenke says he is going to build when he is insisting on public funding for the new stadium here. Getting approval for public funding would be a whole hell of a lot harder to secure than it would to just say he is going to partner up with others and build it themselves. If he ends up keeping the Rams here, I'm guessing all he is out is the money for development of the plans and maybe some other incidentals, which I am sure is in the millions of dollars when you add it all up...but that is chump change to Kroenke. He can develop something else on the land he bought, or just sell it and make money on the deal.
If he actually asked for public funding and got it from LA, then I'm guessing it would be harder to back out of.
I dunno. It seems fishy to me that he just came out and said he is building it without public funding.

After seeing the proposals for the LA stadiums...wow. They are impressive.

Then I look at the one St. Louis last proposed...and...uh...it's pretty paltry. I mean, it's nice enough...but not compared to LA's proposals.

St. Louis can actually do something quite cool with a new stadium. With the riverfront currently all abandoned and construction going on for the arch grounds, they could do something really cool and build the new stadium just north in those parking lots and build a huge platform over 44 and extend the stadium grounds east all the way to the river. There isn't much there. Some parking lots and a couple buildings. Just buy them out and do something really cool for tailgating/partying/pregame/postgame stuff/football park/whatever, etc. It would clean up that area, which looks like shit now...and it would be/could be pretty cool.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

According to Jason Cole (don't know who he is), Kroenke has told the Mayor of Inglewood on two separate occasions that he is moving the Rams to Inglewood with or without the league's approval, no matter what.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2320 ... s-approval

So unless Kroenke is lying or playing a game of high stakes chicken or this guy's sources are wrong, the Rams might very well be already gone.
Kroenke just seems like such a douchebag to me. He always has.
He looks like a dorky/nerdy kid who was picked on as a kid and now is a billionaire douchebag running around smugly pissing everyone off.

He will be St. Louis' next Bidwell. He'll be hated here forever if the team moves.

I hate him already.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I hate him already too. I mean, I get that he's out for protecting his own self interest, yada yada yada. And, that's fine. But, I don't like him for it nonetheless. The STL media doesn't like him either.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I hate Stan Kroenke already. I feel like he's never given us a chance, even though he's a Missouri guy himself. He won't say a single thing. He just hides in the shadows and does his bidding there. He's already approaching Bidwell status and I can't believe it might happen a 2nd time to St. Louis.

I'll never forget the day he stepped in front of Shad Khan to buy the Rams. I got a sinking feeling in my gut, because whereas Shad Khan seemed like he legitimately loved the Rams and the STL area, Kroenke just seemed like he was here to cash in. I guess they all are, but I'm not happy about it. I'm still hopeful something will happen and we'll keep the team, but man...it's a depressing day.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Cprice, the reason why ol Kranky is using his OWN money in LA but not here is because he makes BILLIONS on the deal! The value of the Rams instantly goes up at least a BILLION if/when they go to LA! PLUS Kranky makes hundreds of MILLIONS more selling luxury suites at a MUCH higher rate than he could here!

On the radio today they mentioned around a DOZEN Fortune 500 companies that have left St.Louis since the Rams came in 95! Just think how much more money LA has to throw at the Rams! And I'm not even including the stupid movie stars! There is NO WAY St.Louis can compete with LA in revenue & that's why I think they are gone!

Even Mayor Slay's chief of staff said they can't win a dollars battle with LA!