Need computer help

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Need computer help

Post by Leedog »

I'll start with saying I know nothing about the insides of these things, so bare with me. I have a Compaq Presario with XP that is about 5 years old. Not the best, and I probably should upgrade, but 99.9% of the time it is fine, and getting a new one squared away is just such a pain in the ass. I have a 250ghz Celeron processor. I have only 760mb RAM. I know that is low but I don't do any gaming.
The problem I'm having is many videos are getting better quality. If I try to play a DivX file 640x480, it plays fine on any player (Windows, Real Player, DivX). A 852x480 DivX file will play fine on Windows Media player, but freezes up on DivX player. A 1280x720 HD DivX file won't play at all on the DivX player. If I try to play it on Windows Media, the screen is black, I get a few seconds of audio, then the computer goes into a safe mode look and I have to reboot the system. Same with a 1280x720 HD MP4 file. BTW the same files play fine on my new laptop.
Any ideas? Not enough RAM? Video card(don't even know what that really means!)?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: Need computer help

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

I'm no expert myself, but it's not a RAM issue.. Have you tried updating your graphics driver?

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

No. Looking for ideas on what to upgrade. Thanks.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

I'm saying it sounds like a video issue and downloading the latest graphics driver from the manufacturer could be the easiest and best solution.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan