TV Advice

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Re: TV Advice

Post by F Keenan »

not_a_wings_fan wrote: One of the issues you really need to look at with LCD and Plasma is refresh rates with fast motion scenes (hockey and action movies)

++ This is why it is important to make sure the LCD you are looking at is 120Hz. When we were talking to the salesman, we asked if 120Hz was that important and he said if I watched fast sports like hockey, then yes..... then my wife told him he needs to shut up.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

F Keenan wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote: One of the issues you really need to look at with LCD and Plasma is refresh rates with fast motion scenes (hockey and action movies)

++ This is why it is important to make sure the LCD you are looking at is 120Hz. When we were talking to the salesman, we asked if 120Hz was that important and he said if I watched fast sports like hockey, then yes..... then my wife told him he needs to shut up.
Hmmm...definitely something I will have to check out. Thanks!

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

Thanks to everybody for your ideas and input.
Much appreciated!

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Well what did you decide to get??

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Those 4 to 1 connecting boxes are usually pretty good, my dad just got one for his widescreen LCD and it works fine. Don't know what brand or anything though- I would just go to Best Buy or something and ask someone. Be careful though, some of the people that work there are retarded.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

Prngr44 wrote:Well what did you decide to get??
Haven't. The more I've looked, the more I've talked to people - the more confused I've gotten. :)

I'm just trying to take my time and not make a mistake. I'm in no rush. I have a 32" Sharp CRT
that has as good a picture as anything they are selling, so it's not like I'm doing without.
When I run across the right deal - I'll pounce.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Those 4 to 1 connecting boxes are usually pretty good, my dad just got one for his widescreen LCD and it works fine. Don't know what brand or anything though- I would just go to Best Buy or something and ask someone. Be careful though, some of the people that work there are retarded.
LOL... I've done a lot of shopping at Best Buy over the years - run across a couple of those folks, and also some very knowledgeable, good folks.

I may not need the connecting device, it just depends on the available inputs on whatever tv I end up getting.

thanks.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

Btw - there was an article in the BND, that stated that prices on flat screens are expected to drop significantly after Thanksgiving.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

BB,

Unless you have a butt load of components (like all 3 video game consoles, cable/sat box, dvd/bluray etc...most of the newer HD sets will have all the inputs you need. I wouldn't settle for less than 3 HDMI inputs though. My Sony 40" Bravia only has 2 :(.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

deadphish wrote:BB,

Unless you have a butt load of components (like all 3 video game consoles, cable/sat box, dvd/bluray etc...most of the newer HD sets will have all the inputs you need. I wouldn't settle for less than 3 HDMI inputs though. My Sony 40" Bravia only has 2 :(.
Thanks. I can't imagine that I would need more than 2 HDMI inputs. Altho I was reading on circuit city's forum where there is a HDMI connector device that you can add to give you more inputs if you need it.
My immediate concern is the number of available s-video and component inputs, because at present, none of my Direct-tv DVr, dvd-recorder, or dvd player, have HDMI outputs.

I've looked at the 40" Bravia, and it looks like a really nice tv. I'm really wanting to go with a 46", but it will end up being a balance of quality and price I suppose.