Winamp visualization while you browse?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Allblues555
Hockey God
Hockey God

Winamp visualization while you browse?

Post by Allblues555 »

I ran into this guy who had a winamp visualization running on his desktop and then he had some sort of transparency effect on Firefox so that all the pages he browsed were text over a psychedelic swirling visualization. I can get the visualization on my desktop but I don't know what kind of theme, or plug-in, or setting, or whatever he had to replace backgrounds with it. Any idea how to do this?

EDIT: For anybody who want to try this, here are some steps:

Download winamp.

Go into options - preferences - plug ins - visualizations. First one is "advanced visualization studio"

Press Start

Press configure

Settings - Display, check the box for Overlay Mode. Also check "set desktop to color." This should create the visualization pattern in the sample box.

Now right-click on your desktop.

Properties - Appearance - Advanced

Drop down to desktop, you'll see the color selected is the visualization. Press "color 1" and "other" and then "add to custom colors."

Viola! Now you can use this "custom color" to apply to "application background" and a host of other backgrounds (but I recommend only changing application background). Simply go through the other drop-down options and pick this as the custom background color now that you've added it to custom colors. (A bit confusing, it's not a "color" per se, but the visualization skin.)

When winamp isn't running, the background is black, so you should also change your font color to white.

Now go into IE or Firefox. For IE it is 'accessibility options,' then check the first box. For Firefox it is Content - Fonts and Colors, and override the web page to use the system colors. (allow pages to choose there own colors should be unchecked in firefox, for example."
Last edited by Allblues555 on Thu May 15, 2008 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
_____ _ _

Allblues555
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Winamp visualization while you browse?

Post by Allblues555 »

Ok, I'm getting closer, I used Advanced Visualization Studio to create an overlay, and then I set custom colors in Windows to affect all open "windows" with this color, which is the visualization, however, it is only affecting my URL bar at the moment.

Also, I can stretch the AVS window to fit the whole screen, then CNTRL-A for "Always on top" and this works, however, I can't click anywhere on my browser. Looks just like what I'm after, though.

EDIT:

The trick is to use internet explorer, pick accessibility options, and then ignore page colors.

EDIT EDIT: You can also find this option in Firefox, something about "use system colors."
Last edited by Allblues555 on Mon May 12, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_____ _ _

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Blues Fan in SF »

I'm afraid to see what visualization for most of the stuff I listen to actually looks like :lol:
"Don't need it proven
don't want to listen
don't need a tour
of the pieces I'm missing..."

Allblues555
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Allblues555 »

Here is what the final results look like:

Except there is all sorts of swirly going on in the black. When winamp isn't running its white text on black, much better for my eyes with a 24" monitor.
_____ _ _

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Allblues555 wrote:Here is what the final results look like:

Except there is all sorts of swirly going on in the black. When winamp isn't running its white text on black, much better for my eyes with a 24" monitor.
You prefer white text on black background?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Allblues555
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Allblues555 »

No, not really, but it is a nice change of pace for late-night browsing, or idle browsing. Would look great on a large-screen television too.

I'll add - ONLY change the windows settings for "application background" or you'll have a hell of a time turning the other stuff back. You can only reset one pallette at at time, and then you have to go into it again.
_____ _ _