Indiana-Illinois earthquake!

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Indiana-Illinois earthquake!

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Holy crap. It's 5:00 AM, and my wife and I just about got knocked out of bed by what is apparently an earthquake that was centered somewhere NW of Evansville. 5.4 magnitude, according to early reports. What's the word nearer to the epicenter?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Godfather
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: Indiana-Illinois earthquake!

Post by Godfather »

That was awesome
Busy putting the crosshairs on those Missouri Pachyderms

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

I live in Valmeyer, and I was laying in bed, fixing to get up, when I heard this weird "growling" sound kind of low for a bit, then all of a sudden it hit
and really shook the house.
I figured it was probably the big one from the New Madrid fault.

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

What a coincidence. Right at about the same time this morning the Cam Jannsen rickshaw came roaring through our condo and shook all the pictures off the wall and popped off a fire hydrant cap outside.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

I was completely asleep and it shook my house hard enough to wake both me and my wife up, and then continued to shake the house for a good 10-15 seconds. That is one odd feeling.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

Yeah I was just really confused.. It woke me up and I felt kinda disoriented and my bed was shaking.. My bed always shakes as it's held together by bird droppings so I just noted it was shaking a lot more than usual.. Then went out and talked to my roommate who I could tell was up and confirmed it was actually an earthquake.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

Did not feel a thing. Slept right through it.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Yeah I was just really confused.. It woke me up and I felt kinda disoriented and my bed was shaking.. My bed always shakes as it's held together by bird droppings so I just noted it was shaking a lot more than usual.. Then went out and talked to my roommate who I could tell was up and confirmed it was actually an earthquake.
Confused is a good way to put it... when you feel it, you try to figure out what it was knowing that it could have been an earthquake but think about about every other possibility before just accepting it was an earthquake.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

OS wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Yeah I was just really confused.. It woke me up and I felt kinda disoriented and my bed was shaking.. My bed always shakes as it's held together by bird droppings so I just noted it was shaking a lot more than usual.. Then went out and talked to my roommate who I could tell was up and confirmed it was actually an earthquake.
Confused is a good way to put it... when you feel it, you try to figure out what it was knowing that it could have been an earthquake but think about about every other possibility before just accepting it was an earthquake.
Confusion was what I had when I experienced my first earthquake when I was living in California. It was 3-4am and I heard some rumbling and things moving around. I thought it was my roommate doing something but he was sound asleep. It was a much smaller one than this was (on the 3 side) as it was aftershocks from the bigger one earlier in the year.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I live in Indianapolis, and I didn't feel anything. I actually propped my bass against the amp last night instead of using a stand, and it was still upright when I got up...

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Just felt another one, not as bad as this morning, about 15 minutes ago. Acording to the USGS site this one was 4.5 and the 7th of the day for that area.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

Apparently I felt it, as I woke up right at that time, but didn't register what it was. I did, however, feel an aftershock about 10 minutes ago. The table and chair where I'm sitting were both shaking all over the place; I could see the trees out the window behind me reflected in my laptop screen as it was vibrating all over hell. Very weird. Not quite as weird as the actual earthquake I felt about 5 years ago--I was sitting at work with both elbows on the desk and my chin in my hands and could actually feel the desk undulating. Very, very creepy. I didn't say anything because I thought maybe I was having a stroke or something :lol: ; one of the managers came out of his office about 15 minutes later and said that there'd just been an earthquake somewhere in TN.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

End of days! Repent!

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Texas sucks :(

almost forgot...

:detsucks:
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Guppy wrote:Did not feel a thing. Slept right through it.
You missed out, bro.

It was bad ass. :lol:

I was laying in bed, heard this sound which I first thought was thunder or something, then boom... the whole house shook for a good 10 seconds or more.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Blueline29 wrote:Apparently I felt it, as I woke up right at that time, but didn't register what it was. I did, however, feel an aftershock about 10 minutes ago. The table and chair where I'm sitting were both shaking all over the place; I could see the trees out the window behind me reflected in my laptop screen as it was vibrating all over hell. Very weird. Not quite as weird as the actual earthquake I felt about 5 years ago--I was sitting at work with both elbows on the desk and my chin in my hands and could actually feel the desk undulating. Very, very creepy. I didn't say anything because I thought maybe I was having a stroke or something :lol: ; one of the managers came out of his office about 15 minutes later and said that there'd just been an earthquake somewhere in TN.
It didn't register for me right away either...

I thought there was some paranormal shit going down in my bed room. lol

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

STL JA wrote:
Guppy wrote:Did not feel a thing. Slept right through it.
You missed out, bro.

It was bad ass. :lol:

I was laying in bed, heard this sound which I first thought was thunder or something, then boom... the whole house shook for a good 10 seconds or more.
I felt the one around 1015 though.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I didn't know what the hell was goin on- Never been in an earthquake before. As that was the case I just thought some really, really, really fat guys were throwing themselves against the walls of my apartment building or something :lol:

Didn't even think anything of it until this morning when people were talking about "the earthquake"
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The earthquake woke up my wife and I....4:37am.
It was really shaking the house...back and forth, back and forth.
Odd feeling to feel the earth move back and forth like that. I don't know why, but I always thought earthquakes moved the ground more up and down than side to side. But this was definitely side to side shaking.

Then this morning at work, we felt an aftershock...a pretty good size one too.
And apparently, they've had 7 or 8 small aftershocks near the epicenter since this morning.

It was a 5.2 quake.
2nd largest recorded quake in Illinois since they started measuring quakes.
The Largest was either 5.3 or 5.4 back in 1968.

A 5.3 quake is approximately 10 times the force of a 5.2 quake. I'm not sure why that is.

Imagine a 7 or 8 on the richter scale quake coming from New Madrid, like many say is likely to happen in our lifetime. :shock:
I wonder if that means a 7.2 quake will be 200 times the force of the one we had this morning. :?: That would be pretty bad.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

cprice12 wrote:Imagine a 7 or 8 on the richter scale quake coming from New Madrid, like many say is likely to happen in our lifetime. :shock:
I wonder if that means a 7.2 quake will be 200 times the force of the one we had this morning. :?: That would be pretty bad.
REPENT I SAY!