OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: OT: 2014 MLB Thread

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:A myth can't coach! :mrgreen: 8)
But major league assholes can post!
This isn't a baseball forum! :mrgreen:
What is it then?
English must not be your native language. This forum is called Let's Go Blues. It's a HOCKEY forum. This is a baseball thread in a hockey forum.
Homo sapien must not be your native species.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Actually, jne, the website is called lets go blues. The forum we're presently posting in is called "everything else" which, naturally, can include baseball talk. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JOE MADDON IS ON THE LOOSE!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

glen a richter wrote:Actually, jne, the website is called lets go blues. The forum we're presently posting in is called "everything else" which, naturally, can include baseball talk. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Wrong. Even on the PD forum they have referred to this Let's Go Blues FORUM. This is simply an MLB thread in the LGB forum.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Actually, jne, the website is called lets go blues. The forum we're presently posting in is called "everything else" which, naturally, can include baseball talk. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Wrong. Even on the PD forum they have referred to this Let's Go Blues FORUM. This is simply an MLB thread in the LGB forum.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:JOE MADDON IS ON THE LOOSE!
Dodgers, Rangers, Twins............and the wishful choice: White Sox.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:JOE MADDON IS ON THE LOOSE!
Dodgers, Rangers, Twins............and the wishful choice: White Sox.
I want him w/ the Cardinals but no way that happens. White Sox would be interesting. I could see him going to a bigger market. I think the Cubs are in play too.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

That Joe Maddon was even given the chance to leave TB was asinine on the Rays part. He'll be with the Dodgers shortly. Mattingly will be a bench coach with the Yankees again.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:That Joe Maddon was even given the chance to leave TB was asinine on the Rays part. He'll be with the Dodgers shortly. Mattingly will be a bench coach with the Yankees again.
I read that Friedman leaving kicked the out clause into effect. It was from there all up to Maddon whether he wanted to stay or not. I'm shocked that he left on his own.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Consider me officially very psyched about the Royals. After they got whipped in game 1, you could have expected them to easily roll over and die but no. This is a frikken team of destiny if ever there was one. Nice job last night by Guthrie being the first pitcher to get a W in the world series without recording a strikeout. This team makes things happen one way or the other. Lucky for them, also, it seems like they'll only face Bumgarner 1 more time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:That Joe Maddon was even given the chance to leave TB was asinine on the Rays part. He'll be with the Dodgers shortly. Mattingly will be a bench coach with the Yankees again.
I read that Friedman leaving kicked the out clause into effect. It was from there all up to Maddon whether he wanted to stay or not. I'm shocked that he left on his own.
Early reports after Friedman left was that Maddon would stay. He said he wanted to stay, so Friedman announced Mattingly would stay in LA. This was before he knew Maddon would opt out. That changes everything. If Maddon doesn't end up in LA, I'd be shocked. Mattingly is good as a bench coach but not so much as a manager. Could be because he had so many egos to deal with. Maybe he'd be better as a manager of a young team like the Cubs. I'll say this: Houston must be kicking themselves for rushing to find a manager because Maddon would be perfect there. They're basically the Rays with more offense potential. They have a really solid young pitching staff between Keuchel, Appel (soon), Wojciechowski and Tropeano. I could see all 4 being perennial 15 game winners, or more. Add in another year experience for Springer and Singleton (ok, Singleton kind of sucks) and DeShields Jr. soon, and that's quite a team down there.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Astros are gonna be good before long, although Luhnow might have had the biggest GM screw up I've ever heard of with the signing (or failure thereof) draft picks this year. I still can't believe he let that happen. Agreed that Maddon would be a good fit there. Although, I think he would be a good fit anywhere.

LA makes a lot of sense for him, but I thought Friedman released another statement after Maddon opted out that Mattingly would be their manager still. Cubs make sense, although Maddon grew up a Cardinal fan. I wonder if he would have misgivings working for the Cubs. I mean, it's not like he's just trying to find an opportunity somewhere. He will have plenty of suitors and can be picky. Maybe when you've been in baseball long enough, your childhood team and their rival don't really matter anymore. Outside of possibly just not wanting to bring a title to your childhood team's rival (which might be silly to even mention), that's a very attractive gig. Tons of young talent, tons of spending power and, like it or not for Cards fans, there's gotta be a draw to being the manager that breaks the "curse."
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Astros are gonna be good before long, although Luhnow might have had the biggest GM screw up I've ever heard of with the signing (or failure thereof) draft picks this year. I still can't believe he let that happen. Agreed that Maddon would be a good fit there. Although, I think he would be a good fit anywhere.
I may have already mentioned this somewhere on the board (and I'm too lazy to look), but the strange part of that whole deal is that Sports Illustrated had an article about the Astros shortly after this year's draft. The front cover said 'Your 2017 World Series Champs.'

The whole piece revolved around this year's draft and how Luhnow and his staff were deciding between Aiken, the 'unproven' H.S. pitcher, Rodon, the pitcher from NC State, and another player...I can't remember. It may have been Schwarber, the catcher that the Cubs ended up with. Basically the whole piece was centered around this pick being the foundation of the future, especially with Appel struggling at the time. The article culminates with them selecting Aiken and showering him with praise, etc. Fast forward a few months later and they don't even sign the guy. Luhnow is such a smart guy and it baffles me he let this happen.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Astros are gonna be good before long, although Luhnow might have had the biggest GM screw up I've ever heard of with the signing (or failure thereof) draft picks this year. I still can't believe he let that happen. Agreed that Maddon would be a good fit there. Although, I think he would be a good fit anywhere.
I may have already mentioned this somewhere on the board (and I'm too lazy to look), but the strange part of that whole deal is that Sports Illustrated had an article about the Astros shortly after this year's draft. The front cover said 'Your 2017 World Series Champs.'

The whole piece revolved around this year's draft and how Luhnow and his staff were deciding between Aiken, the 'unproven' H.S. pitcher, Rodon, the pitcher from NC State, and another player...I can't remember. It may have been Schwarber, the catcher that the Cubs ended up with. Basically the whole piece was centered around this pick being the foundation of the future, especially with Appel struggling at the time. The article culminates with them selecting Aiken and showering him with praise, etc. Fast forward a few months later and they don't even sign the guy. Luhnow is such a smart guy and it baffles me he let this happen.
The only logical explanation is that they learned something about him, after the fact, and got cold feet on the deal. There's no other reason to let a #1 draft pick just slip through your fingers. Granted, he wanted a lot of money, which could have handcuffed them down the road, but there has to have been something more to it than that. I have to think they could have worked some kind of deal based on performance, or had an out clause or something, that they could have gotten around the money thing if they really wanted to.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

The only logical explanation is that they learned something about him, after the fact, and got cold feet on the deal. There's no other reason to let a #1 draft pick just slip through your fingers. Granted, he wanted a lot of money, which could have handcuffed them down the road, but there has to have been something more to it than that. I have to think they could have worked some kind of deal based on performance, or had an out clause or something, that they could have gotten around the money thing if they really wanted to.
I think they got caught trying to game the system. I'm a little hazy on the details now, but I think they offered their 3rd round pick too much money or something and needed to take that out of Aiken's slot. So, they tried to change their verbal agreement to lower how much they were paying Aiken, so they could transfer that allotment to their 3rd round pick. I know they lost their 3rd round (or 5th or something, I dunno) pick as well because when they didn't sign Aiken, they lost his slot allotment and could no longer afford him.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm not just saying this because the guy went to my high school, but Nick Tropeano will be a great pitcher somewhere. The irony is that on the Astros with the pitchers they have in the system he'll probably slate at #4 or #5 and with his command and arsenal he could be a 2 or 3 on most teams before long. He was statistically the best pitcher on the AAA Redhawks this year, aside from his W/L record due to some lousy run support. The worst games he had all season were after he came back from his DL stint and he still earned a September call up and did "not so bad".

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Aiken had an undisclosed shoulder or elbow (forget which) injury that they weren't able to investigate because apparently MLB rules prohibit that kind of investigation pre-draft (i.e. they can't send him for a physical before they draft him, only after they draft him). I get why they tried to shortchange him, but I also get why it wasn't allowed.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oscar Taveras and his girlfriend died in a car accident in the Dominican Republic. So sad. Way too young.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm beyond speechless. I got a text from a Cubs fan: "Oh my god. OT. Sucks man." I thought he was talking about a hockey game going to OT (he's also a Hawks fan), but then I opened up Twitter. Such a sad, sad day. From a sports perspective, we'll never know what he would have been. But from a personal perspective, parents, brothers, sisters, cousins....they all lost a 22 year old family member today. And that's heart-wrenching.