offseason

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: offseason

Post by glen a richter »

And in news that should shock absolutely no one, the Blues retain the 16th overall pick in the draft.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

BamaBlue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BamaBlue »

Speaking of the draft, since the 2019 draft, the Blues have selected 31 players. These draft picks have played 246 games for the Blues. While history shows the draft can be a crap-shoot, and since the recent use of the phrase "development of our young players", are the Blues successful in this endeavor?

BamaBlue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BamaBlue »

Would you re-sign Scandella to a one year league minimum contract for the upcoming season?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Hard pass on Scandella. There’s enough guys who can satisfy carrying 7 D plus some semblance of depth in Springfield without wasting money or a spot on Scandella. His time is up.

BamaBlue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BamaBlue »

Just thought...I was listening to The Fast Lane yesterday. They were talking about Berube taking the Toronto job. Jamie mentioned something along the lines of a thought recently in my mind. Jamie suggests Toronto may make a serious play to acquire Binnington. What would you want in return? My thoughts are since it may be 2-3 years before we really get a chance to compete at the level we want, what value would Binnington have after another couple of years? Sure, he could still be a rock, but what COULD the Blues get for him in a situation where Toronto might over pay for him in a trade. I love Binner, but I also want what is best for the Blues. What say you?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

First thing that springs to mind is that Binner has a modified NTC. Who's on it, who isn't?

Second, did Hofer prove enough to trust him as the #1, or at worst a 1A next season with a free agent veteran? Who's in the pipeline that can then come up as Hofer's backup in a few years? Zherenko? Ellis? A goalie they draft this year (I'm positive they'll draft a goalie)? Definitely not Will Cranley, of that I'm positive.

I don't know what Toronto would be willing to give up, is their first rounder in play? Maybe next season's 1st? Prospects? I can't envision what the return package would be.

On the second point, I do think Hofer has earned the right to be the #1 and as far as a veteran to spell him... Cam Talbot comes to mind. I wouldn't be against giving Talbot a 2 year deal and a Hofer/Talbot tandem and then re-evaluate where the kids are after that. Do they need to get another veteran goalie for a year or two while someone else develops to backup a veteran Hofer at that point? Lots of questions attached to the initial question.

BamaBlue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BamaBlue »

I'm not sure Hofer is a solid # , but my point is if we are going to be middle of the pack for the next few years, we have that same 2-3 years to develop some of the other netminders in the system as well. If the defense is improved, it will only help any net minder we have. I do like the Cam Talbot idea. He played college hockey about an hour from me at UAH, which used to have a great DII program.