Berube: FIRED

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Berube: FIRED

Post by goon attack »

Not a fan of this move.

You have a guy who requires several players who will grind and hit, so what do you do? Yep, let's put a bunch of non-grinding ballerinas on the roster./

FIRE LEERY
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Berube: FIRED

Post by glen a richter »

Not surprised by the firing but surprise by the timing.

As Theo said, mauybe Rod Brind'Amour becomes available after the season. If we're steering away from a Berube style of hockey Gerard Gallant comes to mind. Otherwise someone new to the coaching carousel that gets plucked out of some other league. Chief shouldn't have been dismissed at this point in the season, maybe he did lose the locker room I don't know but it's not his fault the roster is a complete mess. Whose idea was it to hamstring the team by spending to the cap on guys who didn't fit the system and giving them no trade clauses like it was halloween candy? Whose idea was it to take a shot at guys like Vrana who doesn't fit into any system? Who had the brilliant idea to recall Hugh Freakin' McGing of all the guys available from the AHL when a roster spot opened up? Army should have fired himself first.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Whether it is on him or not, the coach is almost always the first to go when a team is performing like the Blues have been. Agreed, I don't think it's Berube's fault, but management is going to make changes.

I'm hoping they make more. I can't think of a single player on this current roster that I would be upset about if they got moved.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Whatever is going on, I strongly suspect players being moved also. I can only make a few guys who actually play the defensive zone scheme correctly and none of them, other than Schenn, are high paid players.

Kapanen, Sundqvist, Toropchenko, and believe it or not, 48. You can see all of them actually shoulder checking when they are going to, or already in, their zones. The rest of the team... Simply doesn't do it. They puck watch.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

In terms of the players not executing Weber's defensive zone scheme... the players are half-ass executing it. They go to their spot and watch the puck. Meanwhile, someone skates into their zone behind them, the pucks gets passed to that guy and the Blues players act shocked... If they would actually look the flip around and defend their zones, not just stand in them puck watching, the Blues would've won more game. Fabbri wouldn't scored the go-ahead goal. Seriously - there are 2 Red Wings below the dots when Fabbri scores... the guy in the corner below the goal line, and Fabbri. How in the heck does that not get defended properly??

There are multiple examples of this over the past 4 games with the opponent putting the puck below the Blues goal line and everyone, except the guy checking the puck-handler, are stationary in their respective areas staring at the guy with the puck.

Chicago wound up with a nice shot on goal when the Blues had 5 players (the 4 in a box around the slot and Perunovich going after the puck-handler) in their own end, Hawks had one guy below the goal line, the next Hawk came off the bench off of a line change, and... thanks to Neighbours not looking over his shoulder (shoulder checking), Binnington was forced to make what should've been a completely unnecessary save. That's it - 2 vs 5 and the Blackhawks get the shot on goal.

That's what gets a coach fired when the players on the ice aren't even trying.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Not necessarily endorsing this possibility but…. Quenneville?

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Who is really gonna touch Q? Dude has been permanently canceled.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

With the Blues bringing in Brad Richards to help with the power play as a non-bench assistant... Ott is the next one to go... I get Ott being around for his experience, but it's not PP experience, yet he's been the one running it since Montgomery left and it's SUCKED under his sole direction.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Just spitballing now but you know who I’d like to see in some coaching role in the organization? Jay Bouwmeester. I don’t know what it is, leadership skills and experience or just the unfortunate end to his play career but I think he has a lot to offer the team behind a bench somehow. Maybe Springfield .

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

glen a richter wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:16 pm
Just spitballing now but you know who I’d like to see in some coaching role in the organization? Jay Bouwmeester. I don’t know what it is, leadership skills and experience or just the unfortunate end to his play career but I think he has a lot to offer the team behind a bench somehow. Maybe Springfield .
Does he even coach?