GDT #53: Blues vs Panthers | 7:00 pm CT | Hulu/ESPN+, 101 ESPN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #53: Blues vs Panthers | 7:00 pm CT | Hulu/ESPN+, 101 ESPN

Post by theohall »

BLUES The St. Louis Blues traded blows with Arizona on Saturday before coming away with a 6-5 overtime win in their first game back from the All-Star break.

It was a night of big returns - Ryan O'Reilly scored in his first game back from injury, Sammy Blais scored in his first game back in St. Louis after last week's trade, Robert Thomas added a goal after missing the previous two games and Pavel Buchnevich added three assists after missing the previous four games.

Blais' goal, which tied the game 2-2 in the second period, was his first since leaving the Blues in the trade that brought Buchnevich to St. Louis in July 2021. Blais had played just 54 games with the Rangers due to a season-ending surgery last year.

"We were a little methodical and slow (in the first period)," described Craig Berube on the rust that needed shaking off after 11 days between games. "Better as it went along - better second, better third."

The Blues look to keep the homestand going strong with a Valentine's Day matchup against Florida, hosting the Panthers with a 24-25-3 record worth 51 points and sixth place in the Central Division.

PANTHERS Looking to follow up their President's Trophy finish from last season, the Florida Panthers are still looking to break through into the playoff picture in a competitive Atlantic Division.

The three teams at the top of the Atlantic - Boston, Toronto and Tampa Bay - are the Nos. 1, 4 and 5 teams in the NHL standings as of Monday afternoon, putting Florida in fourth place and three points out of the second Eastern Conference Wild Card spot.

Matthew Tkachuk, St. Louis native and a major offseason acquisition from Calgary, has been dominant in his first 52 games in Florida. Tkachuk's 73 points before their back-to-back set began Monday in Minnesota share No. 4 in the League. Scoring 104 points in 82 games last year, Tkachuk is currently on pace to exceed that career-high mark by at least 10 points.

Monday's game in Minnesota is the Panthers' first on the road since Jan. 24, playing five in a row - and hosting the All-Star Game - at FLA Live Arena. The Panthers have struggled on the road this year, currently 11-15-3 (.431) compared to a 15-8-3 (.635) pace at home.

They face the Wild with a season record of 26-23-6, worth 58 points and fourth in the Atlantic before continuing to St. Louis for Tuesday's matchup.

HEAD-TO-HEAD The Blues came out on top in Florida earlier this year thanks to some late-game heroics and a Jordan Kyrou overtime winner. The Blues are 4-1-1 in their last six games against the Panthers, winning in overtime in their last bout at Enterprise Center on Dec. 7, 2021.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
BLUES Ryan O'Reilly, who returned from 14 games out due to injury to score the overtime game winner against Arizona. O'Reilly has 23 points in 26 career games against Florida, including a goal and an assist earlier this year.

PANTHERS Aleksander Barkov, who joined teammate Matthew Tkachuk as the Panthers' second All-Star last weekend. Barkov has 48 points in 44 games this season, recently going for an 11-game point streak in which he tallied five goals and 12 assists.

BLUE NOTES
Nick Leddy is expected to dress in his 900th career NHL game on Tuesday... Jordan Binnington moved into sole possession of No. 4 in franchise history with his 109th career win in goal on Saturday. Binnington now trails Curtis Joseph by 26 wins for No. 3 in team history... The Blues are one of four teams this season to complete a third-period comeback of three goals or more and win the game, achieving the feat at Florida on Nov. 26.
For just the second time during their frustrating season, the Florida Panthers have managed to win four times in a span of five games.

The Panthers will try to extend that positive trend when they visit the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday to continue a four-game road trip.

Florida started its excursion with a 2-1 shootout victory over the Minnesota Wild on Monday night. The Panthers have allowed just one goal in each of their past three victories.

"You always want to start with a win on the road and we got this one," Panthers captain Aleksander Barkov told Bally Sports Florida postgame in Saint Paul, Minn. "We have a big one (Tuesday) again. ... We have been winning against some big teams lately, and (Monday) was one of the hardest games."

The Panthers, who have 60 points through 56 games, are still playing catch-up in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

"We know the situation we are in," Barkov said. "We're coming from a good stretch and losing one game, we wanted to get back to the winning. Whatever it takes, 65 minutes, shootout, we grinded, we battled as hard as we can."

The Blues snapped q five-game losing streak with a 6-5 overtime victory over the visiting Arizona Coyotes on Saturday.

St. Louis got key forwards Ryan O'Reilly (broken foot) and Pavel Buchnevich (ankle infection) back from the injured list. They played their first game without winger Vladimir Tarasenko and defenseman Niko Mikkola, who were sent to the New York Rangers in a trade for winger Sammy Blais, prospect Hunter Skinner and draft picks.

Blais scored against the Coyotes in his first game back with the Blues. He started his career in St. Louis before the team traded him and a draft pick to the Rangers for Buchnevich in July 2021.

"I've always loved playing here," Blais said. "And in my heart, I never should have left, but it's always a business. They're the greatest fans in the league, so I'm just happy to be back here and help this team win."

With Mikkola gone, Blues coach Craig Berube is playing rookie Tyler Tucker on the third pairing with either Calle Rosen or Robert Bortuzzo. Rosen has provided offense -- he scored twice against Arizona -- while Bortuzzo's shot-blocking ability is valued on the penalty kill.

Blues winger Jordan Kyrou was removed from the Saturday game after taking a big hit, but he cleared concussion protocol and was back at practice Monday on a line with Robert Thomas and Brayden Schenn. Kyrou earned two assists against the Coyotes and drew Berube's praise.

"Kyrou had a strong game, I thought," Berube said. "Competed hard on battles, had some good opportunities, was shooting it. Probably could have shot it more. But he competed hard in the battles, which is important. Need him to do that every night."

The Blues won their previous matchup with the Panthers 5-4 in overtime on Nov. 26 in Sunrise, Fla., overturning a 4-1, third-period deficit. Thomas Greiss made 33 saves to earn the victory and Kyrou scored two goals, including the game-winner. Spencer Knight took the loss for Florida despite stopping 32 shots.

Sergei Bobrovsky has started four straight games for the Panthers, so Knight could get another start against the Blues in the second half of a back-to-back set.
Last edited by theohall on Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #53: Blues vs Panthers | 7:00 pm CT | Hulu/ESPN+, 101 ESPN

Post by glen a richter »

Back in the day when the Panthers entered the league I adopted them as my eastern conference team. I always liked Dave Lowry, he was one of my favorite Blues which I guess is something not often heard, but in any case, I followed him over to Florida. It helped that Roger Neilson was their coach in the formative years and I always liked him too, so I basically followed them since day one.

Not to the same extent that I follow the Blues, of course. Every day and twice on Sunday I'd pick the Blues in a SCF over the Panthers. Doesn't mean I don't see the writing on the wall for the Blues this season, and I'm pulling for the Panthers tonight--one because it's an otherwise meaningless regular season game for the Blues but not for the Panthers, two because I like the Panthers and three because a loss by the Blues helps in the race to the lottery.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Wish we coulda got Matthew Tkachuk. I know we couldn't put that kind of a trade package together like Florida did but DANG. So close...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:11 am
Wish we coulda got Matthew Tkachuk. I know we couldn't put that kind of a trade package together like Florida did but DANG. So close...
I know Brady isn't (quite) on the same level as Matthew, but if the Blues were able to bring in Brady, it might entice Matthew to move home in a few years when his next contract is due. But then I don't know how the Blues could afford both of them AND be able to put a full team on the ice. :grin:

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Anyone else think the coverage sucks....didn't even get to see the third goal in real time.

What a rush by Leddy! :goblues:
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Heck, I watched it on replay and they still didn't show the opening faceoff. Sorry, but the lady is awful at play-by-play. I'm all for having women more involved, but if you are worse than Buccigross at pbp, it's the wrong person.

As to the game, while Florida was on the back end of a road back-to-back, that was one of the most complete games the Blues have played. The 1st goal against is 100% on Binnington for misplaying the puck and then the team for not being able to recover and get a clear after the misplay. Can't really fault anyone for the Verhaege goal. That's the Panthers fighting back as best they can.

Meanwhile, Spencer Knight was awful and the Blues took full advantage.

What's screwed up - we need the Blues to lose for better draft position, because this isn't a playoff team in terms of defensive play. We'll see what happens over these last two months. The schedule is 50-50 current playoff vs non-playoff teams. I don't see them making up 8 points on Calgary AND Minnesota, but with the Wild's offensive struggles, catching up to the Wild and the Predators is a real possibility. The issue is what happens with the Flames. But... that's a pipe dream, not a real honest belief that the Blues could make the playoffs. They could if they pulled off a 2019 like run to end the regular season. 12 goals in 2 games is a plus... it's the 7 against - 5 in one of them that is still a major issue.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season