Tarasenko to Rangers

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Tarasenko to Rangers

Post by theohall »

Not official yet, but too many sources are saying it's done.

Tarasenko and Mikkola for Blais, Hunter Skinner, a 1st and a 4th.

Blues retaining half of Tarasenko's salary.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Tarasenko to Rangers

Post by glen a richter »

On one hand better than losing him for nothing. On the other, one of my ranger fan friends is shocked at how little they had to give up for him and Mikkola.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

I'm underwhelmed

I hope the conditional aspect of the first round pick is merely which one we get and not that we might not get one

was watching the rangers/canucks the other night and thought about how Blais had done nothing since the trade to the rags and so we get him back (I assume for cap reasons)
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Looks like I need to go to a Jacksonville Icemen game. Skinner is currently playing for them. 6'2 right shot defenseman.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

We got bent over on this one. Holy shit, what a joke. :facepalm:

Who on earth is going to score now? :grin:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm very underwhelmed though I guess if we can stockpile 1st round picks maybe package them to move up or something.

The return largely did suck but then again it's better than the zero in return would have been this offseason. I predict Hunter Skinner never cracks the NHL roster. Getting Blais may be a pre-cursor to getting rid of Barbashev.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

While this seems underwhelming, how many 1st round picks have moved the past 2 seasons for rentals? Both Vlad and Mikkola are pending UFAs.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If this was the return for Tarasenko I have to assume that the return for O'Reilly will be significantly less.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Or similar.

Have to remember - Rentals.... it's not like it used to be with teams and cap restrictions these days.

It's been over 2 years of underwhelming deals at or around the trade deadline with very few 1st round picks moved... since teams know that 1st round pick will be with them for a longer term for lesser cost than the UFA they might sign.

In 20-21 - Four 1st round picks were involved in trade deadline deals. The only weird one being the Lightning, Red Wings and BlueJackets, with the Lightning giving up two firsts for David Savard and Lashoff to clear cap space via LTIR. The others were all multi-player deals with a 1st included.

Last season - Five 1st round picks were moved. 2 of them involved the Lightning getting the Hawks to eat Lightning cap space. One involved Giroux. One involved Chiarot. And the other involved Hampus Lindholm who I'm betting the Bruins are glad they surrendered the 1st to acquire.

So over the prior 2 seasons - 9 1st round picks have moved near the trade deadline and 5 of them were 2 years ago. Getting a 1st is a good thing for a rental - even if it's either of the Rangers picks (the protected top 10 pick from Dallas or the Rangers pick - no idea what the condition is, but it's one of those two).

And if you take out the Lightning surrendering picks for cap space - that's 4 first round picks removed - only 5 1st round picks for players are relevant.

The days of getting a huge haul for a UFA rental are over.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Someone has to ask...

How will the Tank area be remembered?

:lol: :lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think for me the highlight of this trade was listening to the radio this morning and Boomer trying to teach Al Dukes how to say Niko Mikkola. For a guy who works on sports radio, he has a tendency to butcher names either with gross mispronounciations or just calling them by the wrong first name because he hasn't actively followed sports since the 80's.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The conditional 4th rd pick becomes a 3rd if the Rangers make the playoffs, which is very likely.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Trades are a part of sports, and the writing was on the wall with how this season has gone, but it's still sad to see him put on a different team's jersey. I would absolutely be open to him re-signing in the offseason.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Rangers play tonight. Looks like Tank will be in the lineup.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I knew he'd be traded, I suspected it would be to a NY team and after the Islanders got Horvat I knew the Rangers would counter with something but still... the sight of Vlad in Ranger blue makes me want to vomit. Couldn't trade him to LA or something?

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Hi guys - been awhile since I posted. Surprised to see Tank leaving St Louis and trying to get more perspective on this. Yes he was injured for 2 seasons but last year his numbers were excellent and his goal totals back to normal. Why was there a push to move him? I know he's up for a new deal and is that the reason that he wants too much? He's still young and has another 5 years or so years left in the league. He even said no deal was offered to him to stay in St Louis - why?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Good to see you Kerfuffle.

In the past two seasons, Tarasenko has expressed displeasure at how he had been utilized by team management. O'Reilly was awarded the C instead of him when Pietrangelo left, and he (Tarasenko) was upset with how the team doctors handled his multiple surgeries, and he felt marginalized. He flat-out requested a trade in the offseason. Armstrong couldn't find an adequate trade partner, so he remained in St. Louis.

To Tarasenko's credit, he has been one of the hardest workers on the team this season, and has seen flashes of his former self on occasion. Unfortunately, the Blues will not make the playoffs this year, and it is Tarasenko's final year of his contract, so he was traded to get some kind of return before he walks away in the offseason.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

There was one other mention from JR in the 21-22 season that someone within the organization was critical of Tarasenko's play after the 2 botched surgeries. No idea who, but that was the initial impetus for Tarasenko demanding a trade before the 21-22 season. To Tarasenko's credit, after the 3rd surgery in which he picked the doctor and that doc did everything that should've been done during the 1st two surgeries, Tank was a consummate professional and played the way he always had prior to his injury. It's a shame some jackwad in the Blues org had to be a prick.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Guess who scored the Rangers' first goal on Friday. Good way to introduce yourself to the new fan base.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Portland Blues wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:56 pm
Someone has to ask...

How will the Tank area be remembered?

:lol: :lol:
Fondly?
Blues' 5th all time in goals and points
9th in assists
3rd in gwg
and his name is on the cup as a Blue

definitely would be on the all time Blues draftee team (captained by "the hall of famer Berne Federko")

any ill will that exists between tank and the blues (if still existing) seems pretty clearly the Blues' fault
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk