GDT #15: Blues @ Blackhawks | 6:30 pm CT | TNT, BSMW, 101 ESPN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #15: Blues @ Blackhawks | 6:30 pm CT | TNT, BSMW, 101 ESPN

Post by theohall »

TEAM SNAPSHOTS
BLUES The St. Louis Blues seem to have found some level ground recently, thanks in no small part to the play of Jordan Binnington and the overall defensive execution.

Monday's game against the defending champion Colorado Avalanche demonstrated this when the Blues stepped up to kill 1:44 of a 5-on-3 disadvantage - including time spent 6-on-3 when the Avalanche pulled their goaltender for one last push.

"It's definitely intense, that's for sure," said Colton Parayko, who was out on the ice for the home stretch with Ryan O'Reilly and Niko Mikkola. "(Binnington's) kept us in every single game this year, and now we're on the winning side of it. It's been a lot of fun to watch him - he's a true competitor."

Binnington was sensational Monday, saving 45 shots to earn the Blues their third straight win. Over the three-game streak, Binnington has stopped 106 of 113 total shots faced.

After showing they can return to form against two of the NHL's top teams, the Blues will have to keep their intensity up with a dense schedule through the rest of the month. The team heads to Chicago (continuing the first-ever Moms' Trip), then returns home for a three-game homestand against the Capitals and Ducks (twice).

They face the Blackhawks with a 6-8-0 record, worth 12 points and quickly closing in on the rest of the Central Division.

BLACKHAWKS The Chicago Blackhawks have been up and down this season, working to smoothly bridge the gap between contention and a rebuild. Just prior to the 2022 NHL Draft, the Blackhawks traded 24-year-old forward Alex DeBrincat - their No. 2 leading scorer last season - to Ottawa for multiple draft assets, though longtime Blackhawks Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews remain with the club.

This season, they are off to a 6-6-3 start under new Head Coach Luke Richardson and are working to establish an identity during a pivotal time for the six-time Stanley Cup Champions.

They are coming off a 3-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes - their third shutout loss this season.

Kane and Toews have been leading the scoring thus far, with 12 and 10 points, respectively.

"We're really committed to building that team chemistry and playing for each other," said Toews. "When you have that feeling, you get effort, you're gonna find different ways to score and produce."

They'll host the Blues with a 6-6-3 record, worth 15 points and fifth place in the Central Division as of Tuesday afternoon.

HEAD-TO-HEAD Last season, the Blues went a strong 3-0-1 against their division rivals, with the only loss coming via overtime in Chicago on Nov. 26. Wednesday will be the first of four battles between the Blues and Blackhawks, with the next coming on Dec. 29 in St. Louis.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
BLUES Robert Thomas, who scored two points in each of the wins against San Jose and Colorado and has four in his last three games. Thomas' 11 points and eight assists share second on the Blues, and his 138 face-off wins (on a career-high 54.5 percent win rate) lead the team.

BLACKHAWKS Patrick Kane, who leads the Blackhawks with 12 points in his 16th year with the team. The 34-year-old three-time Cup winner also led the scoring last season, reaching 92 points in 78 games.

BLUE NOTES
The Blues have won their last two games against Chicago and have earned points in nine straight matchups (7-0-2)... The Blues scored a power-play goal in all four games against Chicago last season, going 4-for-10 overall on the power play (40 percent)... Binnington, who has 96 career wins in 173 games played, is just four wins shy of becoming the sixth goaltender in franchise history to reach 100 wins.
St. Louis Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington has stopped 106 of 113 shots during the club's three-game winning streak, a sterling stretch he will aim to continue Wednesday as the team visits the Chicago Blackhawks.

While he also was the Blues' goaltender of record five times during the eight-game skid that preceded the team's current tear, Binnington has remained steady in his preparation and mindset -- and teammates notice.

"He's always been good -- right from the first game (of the season)," St. Louis forward Robert Thomas said. "Even when we weren't helping him too much. But the last three games especially, he's taken it to another level and that's given us a lot of confidence in front of him."

Thomas sparked the Blues' most recent victory Monday, contributing a goal and assist to a 3-2 win at Colorado that closed with St. Louis frantically staving off a 6-on-3 situation over the final minute.

Moments earlier, with the Avalanche skating with merely a 5-on-3 -- having not yet pulled their goalie -- Binnington denied Cale Makar on a shot from the left circle that was headed for a seemingly open net.

"It's unbelievable," Blues defenseman Colton Parayko said. "He's made some incredible saves. He's kept us in every single game this year and now we're on the winning side of it. So it's been a lot of fun to watch him. He's a true competitor that just continues to build. He's always there to help us out."

Wednesday's game ends a stretch in which the Blues have played five of six on the road. Chicago, meanwhile, will close an abbreviated, two-game homestand that began Monday with a 3-0 loss to Carolina.

Carolina rookie Pyotr Kochetkov made 27 saves against Chicago to record his first NHL shutout. It marked the third time the Blackhawks were blanked this season.

"It's frustrating because I thought we played OK in the first (period), and we're getting used to a team that pressures like that," Blackhawks coach Luke Richardson said. "We haven't really had that lately. We have to get accustomed to that.

"We have 'D' playing more minutes now than maybe they're used to playing, and they're put under the gun even more against a good skating, strong team. I thought we weathered that storm pretty good in the first period and played OK."

Richardson's sentiments notwithstanding, Chicago trailed 2-0 after 20 minutes and struggled to mount an attack in falling for the seventh time in nine games.

Special teams made a difference, as the Blackhawks finished 0-for-4 on the power play.

Captain Jonathan Toews said Chicago needs to show more urgency while not getting frustrated when pucks don't go in the net.

"You can't force it," Toews said. "I think we're making good plays and getting chances, and we're just relaxing with the puck and playing hard without it and giving each other options and things just kind of develop, ... We've just got to stick with it. There's a lot of good there."
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #15: Blues @ Blackhawks | 6:30 pm CT | TNT, BSMW, 101 ESPN

Post by glen a richter »

I don't think it should go unnoticed how good Mikkola has been... and remember that Chief inexplicably scratched him in that one game, I forget which one but his excuse was weak at best.

He won't wow you on the scoresheet but he knows his role and is playing it very well. I'd say he turned the corner and took the next step to being what he should be. It was a bit of a wait but not bad for a 5th rounder. I think this team would be best served to expect their defensemen to play defense. Faulk and Krug are obviously more offensive minded d-men who are a combined -17 on the season, Parayko I think because of his cannon of a shot everyone expects him to score more but he needs to also just focus on the D and making the right decisions out there... his -9 leaves a lot to be desired.

A goal prevented is as good as a goal scored and the D just needs to do their job which Mikkola absolutely has. Rosen, small sample but he's been great too. As long as the defense keeps showing up (or those who haven't been showing up decide it's time to show up) the team will be ok. I know Army prioritized defense when he signed Leddy instead of Perron but so far and especially during the eight game skid it was positively atrocious. I still think having Krug on the team is a net negative for the whole defensive corps. He's simply too small and too offense focused. I'd rather have someone bigger and more focused on the defensive side of the game, even if they lack the NHL experience, manning the blueline. I think they sufficiently addressed this through the recent drafts either by design or by luck with kids like Tucker (7th round), Kessel (5th round), Galloway (5th round), Beck (7th round) and Loof (3rd round). All these guys have one major thing on Krug--size. Yes, they're at different points of their development and Galloway, Beck and Loof for sure are at least 2-3 years off but the pieces are there to get a bigger, more physical blueline which takes the load off the goalie and gives the offense more freedom to do their thing.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Mikkola looked shaky to me in a few of their losses. Granted, the entire D did. What I like about him is that he's a big guy who isn't afraid to use his weight around the boards. He doesn't kill people but, unlike Parayko, plays body more than puck. If Colton did that more, boy he'd be a formidable D. Right now, people know they can waltz around him. I bet McKinnon was shocked when Parayko dropped him on his ass in the dying minutes of that 6-on-3! :grin:

Is tonight the obligatory "shit the pants riding the high from a big win" night? Or "smash the hawks because we still hate them" night? Hope for the latter, prepared for the former.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

As good as Chicago started, they've struggled with Seth Jones out. Let's just hope the Blues don't pull the "let's play down to the competition" crap.

And, while Thomas scored a goal, it wasn't like he didn't hit the crossbar - AGAIN - before the goalie knocked it into his own net. So, PUH-LEASE, Robert Thomas quit hitting crossbars and posts. That's a goal/game right there if he stops doing that.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Seems like the Blues like winning now a little more than losing.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Good to see Alexandrov get his first NHL point and Tucker get his first NHL game.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Tucker looked great! He maintained great gaps, stayed patient, and didn't seem to turn the puck over from what I could see.

While Tucker was on the ice for both goals against, I thought he played both situations the best he could - especially the 2nd one. In a 2-on-1 take away the pass so the goalie doesn't have to defend a shot immediately after the puck crosses the slot. Give the goalie one man - the shooter. Binnington just got beat and he'd probably want to be more aggressive defending it, but... Athanasiou had just burned him being aggressive with that breakaway.

Kyrou has found his game again - skating, shooting, and passing. Kinda would've liked to see him hit Schenn with backdoor pass on the opportunity after he'd scored the goal.

ROR isn't playing crappy anymore.

Basically, everyone seems to be doing what they are supposed to most of the time, but... a better team finishes on those plays Raddysh didn't finish.

Interesting tidbit from Panger that the Blues had changed their defensive zone system to being a more passive zone and switched it back to a more aggressive mostly man-on-man style which is when things turned around. Of course, this also leads to things like 2-on-0s and 2-on-1s when someone gets caught on the wrong side of the puck. As long as the Blues offense can keep going and the Blues D doesn't put pucks in their own net, it looks like they will be fine. (which isn't what glen wants to hear)